(0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.69%

Americans are friendly but lonely

Americans Are Friendly But Lonely
      The majority of adults has anywhere between two and five close friends (62%), but one in five regularly or often feels lonely. Those who report the highest levels of loneliness are single, male, young and likely earning a lower income. Those who aren’t working, or those who are part of the growing proportion of Americans who work remotely or for themselves, are likely making fewer friends because a plurality of adults (42%) meets their friends on the job. Outside of their place of employment, American adults meet their closest friends through other friends (35%) and in their neighborhood (29)%.

The interactions Americans have with their neighbors (those who live within easy walking distance)—which happen either weekly (39%) or daily (28%)—are usually friendly but consist mostly of a brief greeting with very little interaction otherwise (37%). One in four (25%) has managed to become friends with one or two of their neighbors. Overall, celebrations are what bring together most American neighbors: one-quarter says they eat dinner together (24%), celebrate birthdays or holidays together (23%), and gather for neighborhood events (22%).

rest of the article here
      https://www.barna.com/research/friends-loneliness/

Any thoughts or surprises?

2. Likes Andrew liked this post
      Andrew is offline Veteran Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Amused

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      16.12%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      Americans Are Friendly But Lonely
      The majority of adults has anywhere between two and five close friends (62%), but one in five regularly or often feels lonely. Those who report the highest levels of loneliness are single, male, young and likely earning a lower income. Those who aren’t working, or those who are part of the growing proportion of Americans who work remotely or for themselves, are likely making fewer friends because a plurality of adults (42%) meets their friends on the job. Outside of their place of employment, American adults meet their closest friends through other friends (35%) and in their neighborhood (29)%.

The interactions Americans have with their neighbors (those who live within easy walking distance)—which happen either weekly (39%) or daily (28%)—are usually friendly but consist mostly of a brief greeting with very little interaction otherwise (37%). One in four (25%) has managed to become friends with one or two of their neighbors. Overall, celebrations are what bring together most American neighbors: one-quarter says they eat dinner together (24%), celebrate birthdays or holidays together (23%), and gather for neighborhood events (22%).

rest of the article here
      https://www.barna.com/research/friends-loneliness/

Any thoughts or surprises?
      I have no close friends but I'm fine with that, since my lifestyle change I just don't hang out with people like I used to.

4. Likes Ruth liked this post
      MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Fading awa...

Mood:
      Secret

Country
      Vatican
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      50.92%
      USA folk appear to obsess about other people approving of them "Am I a good person?" is often heard.
      Saint Jude, author of the new testament letter.

He is the patron of impossible causes because the scriptural Letter of St. Jude, which he authored, urges Christians to persevere in difficult times.

Hidden Content

Ruth is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      Amused

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (18,195 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      60.76%
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      I have no close friends but I'm fine with that, since my lifestyle change I just don't hang out with people like I used to.
      I am the same but honestly I do wish I had a best friend. I'm so set in my ways at my age tho, don't know if I can tolerate anyone or if they can tolerate me...it would take work..
      Judge tenderly, if you must. There is usually a side you have not heard, a story you know nothing about, and a battle waged that you are not having to fight.Hidden Content

7. Likes psalms 91 liked this post
      Albion is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      87.42%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      USA folk appear to obsess about other people approving of them "Am I a good person?" is often heard.
      Often heard?

Probably about as often as "Tie me kangaroo down" is heard by Australia folk.

Fading awa...

Mood:
      Secret

Country
      Vatican
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      50.92%
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
      Often heard?
      Indeed, very often. Even script writers have actors say it. Sometimes it's posed in this form "I am a good person! You think I am a good person?"

There's fear too, fear of "bad neighbourhoods" and "bad people" who "gather on street corners". It may be true that such happens, it may be that with so many guns in the hands of anxious people that fear is well placed. Second amendment supporters say "I have a gun for self protection" which is possibly true. It illustrates how deep and wide the fears are in USA culture.

He is the patron of impossible causes because the scriptural Letter of St. Jude, which he authored, urges Christians to persevere in difficult times.

Hidden Content

Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Amused

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      16.12%
      Quote Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
      I am the same but honestly I do wish I had a best friend. I'm so set in my ways at my age tho, don't know if I can tolerate anyone or if they can tolerate me...it would take work..
      I've always been an introvert, I like people don't get me wrong lol and I enjoy company and often wish that I were more outgoing... but that's just not me, my parents and family are my best friends, my coworkers and people I deal with are my best friends to me... it's weird but since I don't specifically have a favorite I just consider them all to be really great friends
      I am very close to my dad because we both hang out in our common area, the man cave, where he watches his old western shows and news and I do what I do and we just talk about whatever's on our minds.
      I consider you all my best friends, truly, I feel bad when I debate but then again I debate with my dad too.
      Plus Jesus is a great friend (not being cheesy it's true) I never feel alone because I constantly focus and think about him 24/7 and although I don't see him he still corrects me daily

11. Likes Ruth, psalms 91 liked this post
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Amused

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      16.12%
      Indeed, very often. Even script writers have actors say it. Sometimes it's posed in this form "I am a good person! You think I am a good person?"

There's fear too, fear of "bad neighbourhoods" and "bad people" who "gather on street corners". It may be true that such happens, it may be that with so many guns in the hands of anxious people that fear is well placed. Second amendment supporters say "I have a gun for self protection" which is possibly true. It illustrates how deep and wide the fears are in USA culture.
      Why the many quotations as if it's some kind of nonsense we American's just spew out of our mouths for dramatic effect?
      Crime is not a laughing matter my friend.
      I have had a gun pointed at my face, I have had a knife pointed at my gut, I have been threatened by decapitation, I have been robbed, I have been molested, I have heard shoot outs, I have had friends killed by gang members, I have had friends that became gang members and committed murders, I have family and friends that have had their cars stolen and hijacked.
      Can you honestly say the same MC?

Fading awa...

Mood:
      Secret

Country
      Vatican
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      50.92%
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      Why the many quotations as if it's some kind of nonsense we American's just spew out of our mouths for dramatic effect?
      Crime is not a laughing matter my friend.
      I have had a gun pointed at my face, I have had a knife pointed at my gut, I have been threatened by decapitation, I have been robbed, I have been molested, I have heard shoot outs, I have had friends killed by gang members, I have had friends that became gang members and committed murders, I have family and friends that have had their cars stolen and hijacked.
      Can you honestly say the same MC?
      I answered the question asked of me. It is USA culture that creates the fears because of the many guns in the hands of anxious people. Anxious people sometimes go insane and shoot. It likely contributes to the fear.

Hidden Content

Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Amused

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      16.12%
      I answered the question asked of me. It is USA culture that creates the fears because of the many guns in the hands of anxious people. Anxious people sometimes go insane and shoot. It likely contributes to the fear.
      It's not a culture ((imo)) to cause anarchy and lawlessness in a well structured country. The reason people hold on to the right to arm themselves is the same right they use to lock their front doors or keep a safe.
      A friend once told me that the reason we have 'safes' is to keep 'honest' people from taking things that don't belong to them... something to think about.

15. Likes psalms 91 liked this post