Trump and his wall

Will Trump's wall be built along southern border?

• yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • partial wall (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other (please explain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
President Trump promised during his campaign for there to be a wall built along our southern border with Mexico to keep the flood of illegal immigrants out of America. Do you think this is a promise that he will fulfill? Yes, no, partial or something else?

I think his best chances were when he had both House and Senate Republican control and not likely then. Now, I doubt it will happen. I don't think that it should happen it is a waste of money

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
President Trump promised during his campaign for there to be a wall built along our southern border with Mexico to keep the flood of illegal immigrants out of America. Do you think this is a promise that he will fulfill? Yes, no, partial or something else?

I think his best chances were when he had both House and Senate Republican control and not likely then. Now, I doubt it will happen. I don't think that it should happen it is a waste of money
I believe a wall is necessary, do you know just how dangerous it is to cross the border? They risk the lives of their children to do it, they run the risk of rape or being kidnapped or turned into prostitution or drug pushers and shoot outs. I went to college in the valley (Texas valley) and the border was literally down the road, in class I could hear distant gunshots back and forth... maybe if they KNOW that there is a wall there they might consider the safer and lawful way of entering the US.
I have been to mexico before, there are no traffic laws and it's very chaotic, all the vehicles were badly damaged so we tried to stay off the road and walk, when I walked passed an alley way there were men yelling "Mexican woman", I imagine what could have happened to me if I actually went into those alley ways... perhaps prostitution, perhaps being mugged, perhaps murdered.
If Mexico cannot get a grip on their government (because they literally worship drug lords which lord over government officials) then a big fat bulky wall that reads "come in legally through the entrance" would be a very safe way for the good people to come in and the bad ones to stay out...
IMHO

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm MODERATELY in favor of the wall.... but I doubt it will do much good.

The "draw" here is all the social goodies they get and jobs. Those who think their legal application for a visa will be denied (they are for criminals, rapists, child molesters, etc.) then they will avoid the normal process of applying at a US embassy or consulate - and will "crash" the boarder, entering illegally (at times, subjecting their family to this, as well). As long as they get all the freebies here and the jobs that are here, they will come. When the economy is good here, they come in large numbers.

SOMEHOW, we need to eliminate the jobs. If these ILLEGAL residents who felt they needed to avoid the normal process and the vetting it involved can make more money here than where they legally belong, they will come.... and stay. HOW to do that? I don't know. And can we NOT provide all the education, welfare, health care, etc. they receive as an award for being here illegally? Probably not. ER's are full of them. Schools are full of them. It's illegal to ask about their status in this country. I don't know what to do about that, either... we can't turn our back on those genuinely in need. Does the Federal government reimburse hospitals, schools, welfare agencies for supplying the help needed by people the Federal government is responsible for not allowing? Nope.

But as long as criminals can have a higher standard of living HERE - they will come. And since they don't give a rip about laws or governments or process, laws are going to be meaningless, process will be meaningless, walls won't mean much. And since (at least in California) they can register to vote (and tend to vote overwhelmingly for Democrats) the Democrats welcome them. So in "one party" States like California, where the Democrats rule unchallenged, there is a welcome mat.

I don't foresee anything happening.... except more and more criminals from other nations will come here. Wall or not.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I believe a wall is necessary, do you know just how dangerous it is to cross the border? They risk the lives of their children to do it, they run the risk of rape or being kidnapped or turned into prostitution or drug pushers and shoot outs. I went to college in the valley (Texas valley) and the border was literally down the road, in class I could hear distant gunshots back and forth... maybe if they KNOW that there is a wall there they might consider the safer and lawful way of entering the US.
I have been to mexico before, there are no traffic laws and it's very chaotic, all the vehicles were badly damaged so we tried to stay off the road and walk, when I walked passed an alley way there were men yelling "Mexican woman", I imagine what could have happened to me if I actually went into those alley ways... perhaps prostitution, perhaps being mugged, perhaps murdered.
If Mexico cannot get a grip on their government (because they literally worship drug lords which lord over government officials) then a big fat bulky wall that reads "come in legally through the entrance" would be a very safe way for the good people to come in and the bad ones to stay out...
IMHO

I do understand what your saying, but the drug lords in Mexico have already demonstrated that they are very good at building tunnels. The wall doesn't do much good if all they are going to do is build tunnels underneath it. And being in the drug business and human trafficing business, they have all the money and man power to build some pretty elaborate tunnels

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm MODERATELY in favor of the wall.... but I doubt it will do much good.

The "draw" here is all the social goodies they get and jobs. Those who think their legal application for a visa will be denied (they are for criminals, rapists, child molesters, etc.) then they will avoid the normal process of applying at a US embassy or consulate - and will "crash" the boarder, entering illegally (at times, subjecting their family to this, as well). As long as they get all the freebies here and the jobs that are here, they will come. When the economy is good here, they come in large numbers.

SOMEHOW, we need to eliminate the jobs. If these ILLEGAL residents who felt they needed to avoid the normal process and the vetting it involved can make more money here than where they legally belong, they will come.... and stay. HOW to do that? I don't know. And can we NOT provide all the education, welfare, health care, etc. they receive as an award for being here illegally? Probably not. ER's are full of them. Schools are full of them. It's illegal to ask about their status in this country. I don't know what to do about that, either... we can't turn our back on those genuinely in need. Does the Federal government reimburse hospitals, schools, welfare agencies for supplying the help needed by people the Federal government is responsible for not allowing? Nope.

But as long as criminals can have a higher standard of living HERE - they will come. And since they don't give a rip about laws or governments or process, laws are going to be meaningless, process will be meaningless, walls won't mean much. And since (at least in California) they can register to vote (and tend to vote overwhelmingly for Democrats) the Democrats welcome them. So in "one party" States like California, where the Democrats rule unchallenged, there is a welcome mat.

I don't foresee anything happening.... except more and more criminals from other nations will come here. Wall or not.

Part of the problem as I see it is that many companies are using those illegal immigrants because they don't have to pay them benefits or minimum wage and it widens their profit margin to do so. They don't have to follow the same regulations and they work hard for less pay.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Part of the problem as I see it is that many companies are using those illegal immigrants because they don't have to pay them benefits or minimum wage and it widens their profit margin to do so. They don't have to follow the same regulations and they work hard for less pay.

I'm sure that happens, but I suspect the problem is not major companies but the "mom and pop" businesses, for the reasons you gave. Years ago, my sister worked as a server at a dinner. ALL the busboys and diswashers were illegals - all paid cash "under the table" (no idea if it was min. wage or not but I'd bet not). A former coworker told me about his gardener who came regularly to mow the lawns.... A Border Patrol car drove near, and his two helpers RAN (leaving equipment running)... the main guy laughed (obviously here legally) and told my friend, "They'll be back in a few minutes." That was several years ago. Then there are all the self-employed illegals. Go to Lowes or Home Depot around 6:00 or 7:00 in the morning and you'll find hundreds in the parking lot, waiting for some contractor to pick up however many he needs - always cash "under the table." Of course, they get food stamps, they get medical care by showing up at the ER, their kids are in school... but they pay no taxes.

Then (and I have no idea how exactly this is done) sometimes illegals actually get a check - but the social security number is the bosses' - money is taken out of their check for takes and FCIA but it goes into the bosses account. There's a name for this (obviously illegal) ploy (can't remember it) but I'm just not sure how it's done.

YES.... they are taken advance of. And YES they take advantage of the services our country provided. Obviously, it's financially better than home (and the schools and medical care are much better) and that's why they are here. And they do it illegally because they know they wouldn't be allowed in legally. There are over 30 MILLION here LEGALLY so many CAN get in and it can't be TOO hard.... but there is a vetting process and if one is certain they'd fail....and if the Rule of Law matters not a bit....

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Trump promised a partial wall, so there is no point in answering yes to this poll, saying that a solid wall from the Pacific to the Caribbean was ever in mind or was promised.

But the Democrats want more illegal voters, and they certainly do not want to do anything to cooperate with the President, so money sufficient to do more than patch up and extend in a small way what is already on the border will be not be forthcoming.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I do understand what your saying, but the drug lords in Mexico have already demonstrated that they are very good at building tunnels. The wall doesn't do much good if all they are going to do is build tunnels underneath it. And being in the drug business and human trafficing business, they have all the money and man power to build some pretty elaborate tunnels
Well drugs will still be pushed through, I imagine drugs are easier to move than people and again I see the 'wall' as a message.
A wall that btw would not cost us a penny (in theory)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
But the Democrats want more illegal voters, and they certainly do not want to do anything to cooperate with the President, so money sufficient to do more than patch up and extend in a small way what is already on the border will be not be forthcoming.

Ahha

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I misunderstood the question. :( I thought it said. SHOULD he. I think he should. Will he.. I'm not sure.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single

I agree that it would be a huge waste of money when that money could be used to help those who really need it like giving more money to those on disability--they don't give enough to even pay rent now a days.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I agree that it would be a huge waste of money when that money could be used to help those who really need it like giving more money to those on disability--they don't give enough to even pay rent now a days.

I agree. Being on disability must be hard.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

This is it exactly. Greed is the American way.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This is it exactly. Greed is the American way.

Whoa. Americans are the most generous people on Earth. Could we instead say that with freedom comes the opportunity to be greedy?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Whoa. Americans are the most generous people on Earth. Could we instead say that with freedom comes the opportunity to be greedy?
Lets say it like it is and that is that many American companies are very greedy. Look at the pay for CEO's versus the pay for workers

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Lets say it like it is and that is that many American companies are very greedy. Look at the pay for CEO's versus the pay for workers

That is like it is with CEOs of some major companies, yes. But to indict an entire nation is, well, just wrong.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

How many people played the lottery in hopes of getting rich by doing nothing? LOL

Yes, Americans are extremely generous. Saying they're also greedy does not mean they aren't generous with their wealth at times.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
That is like it is with CEOs of some major companies, yes. But to indict an entire nation is, well, just wrong.
OK lets look at earnings by companies and then look at workers. WalMart comes to mind, fast food, factories, and many others

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
OK lets look at earnings by companies and then look at workers. WalMart comes to mind, fast food, factories, and many others

Oh, so now we are to change the ground rules, i.e. to change the accusation that I thought was unfounded? Perhaps you can find someone who disagrees with the complaint you have raised here and wants to argue about it, but it's not what I was commenting on.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
How many people played the lottery in hopes of getting rich by doing nothing? LOL

Yes, Americans are extremely generous. Saying they're also greedy does not mean they aren't generous with their wealth at times.

Well, let's just cut to the chase, shall we? Some Americans are greedy some of the time AND SO ARE PEOPLE IN EVERY OTHER COUNTRY.

Top Bottom