Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
What is the "Thanksgiving Meal" in your home?

What are your faves... and what do you take a pass on....

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In my home.....

So far, my beloved and I haven't really developed our OWN tradition here.... because we've never had Thanksgiving alone. We "rotate" big gatherings among parents and siblings (this WAS to be our year at our home, but because of our newborn, we asked to change this to next year). The host makes the Turkey or Turkeys (always very traditional roasted) and everyone brings various sides. But it's all pretty traditional......

Honestly, I could "pass" on the turkey entirely.... it's not that I don't like it, it's just we have chicken and turkey all year and it's nothing special and I'd rather leave room for OTHER things (it's all about the SIDES to me); I take a little dark meat but not much. I'm also not much into that "Green Bean, Campbells' Soup, Onion Rings" thingy. I totally pass on that.... and hope someone brought some other vegie thing; I like vegies just not that cassorole thing. I also pass on the Cranberries (unless whoever brought them is watching me, then to be nice, I take one berry). I'm trying to talk my wife into bringing some good vegie this year.

I pile on the carbs. LOVE the mashed potatoes and gravy.... the rolls (always homemade).... and BEST OF ALL - dressing/stuffing. Actually, I like when several bring dressing because everyone makes it different, and (unless it's dry) it's always great. I could fill my whole plate with carbs.

I look to see if there is a fruit salad, too. I like fruit.

I like wine. I always bring some wine. So does my dad.

I'm not big on desserts and I usually skip it. But one year my brothers' girlfriend then brought a bread pudding..... AMAZING.... don't know why he didn't marry her.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Turkey, stuffing (my favorite), corn, cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, pumpkin pie. That is the meal and I love leftovers and eat stuffing for days after

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
An Alternative....

My wife and I have friends who are a part of a very different tradition..... They too rotate homes and have the big, Thanksgiving meal, but their tradition is NO ONE COOKS ANYTHING. They cater the whole thing, every part of it (I don't know if its from a supermarket or restaurant or what).... and use paper plates, etc. No cooking.... no clean up. The cost is convey and everyone is asked to contribute their share and if more is collected than it cost, the excess is given to the Red Cross.

Hum. I'd miss the "family favorite" dishes. I like the idea of people contributing FOOD and not just money. But I do remember my Mom preparing the whole meal and I DO remember my sibs and I washing a MOUNTAIN of dishes afterward... Not OUR tradition but I can see value in it.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
An Alternative....

My wife and I have friends who are a part of a very different tradition..... They too rotate homes and have the big, Thanksgiving meal, but their tradition is NO ONE COOKS ANYTHING. They cater the whole thing, every part of it (I don't know if its from a supermarket or restaurant or what).... and use paper plates, etc. No cooking.... no clean up. The cost is convey and everyone is asked to contribute their share and if more is collected than it cost, the excess is given to the Red Cross.

Hum. I'd miss the "family favorite" dishes. I like the idea of people contributing FOOD and not just money. But I do remember my Mom preparing the whole meal and I DO remember my sibs and I washing a MOUNTAIN of dishes afterward... Not OUR tradition but I can see value in it.

My problem with this is the taste just isnt as good, a pie even in a restaurant the crust is not up to the same and all the rest is not as good either

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My problem with this is the taste just isnt as good, a pie even in a restaurant the crust is not up to the same and all the rest is not as good either

.... depends on the quality of cooks in one's family, lol....... (I suddenly remember an old "Andy Griffith Show" episode about pickles). I LIKE the idea of focusing on family and fellowship rather than cooking and cleaning.... but I'm with you, Bill. The FAMILY touch... the FAMILY providing together.... that's part of the celebration for ME. I'm with you, too, when it comes to the dressing/stuffing!

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
This is going to be my first Thanksgiving as a diabetic. All I have to do is have small portions...yeah right...lol

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This is going to be my first Thanksgiving as a diabetic. All I have to do is have small portions...yeah right...lol

It DOES tend to be a very carbie meal! But remember: eating MEAT slows down those cards (pig out on the turkey, not the potatoes, lol), and alcohol lowers bs! So, eat lots of meat and enjoy the wine!

Sincerely, I DO hope it's good for you.... it IS mostly about heart and family....

Happy Thanksgiving, Ruth

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Never happen for me lol

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
It DOES tend to be a very carbie meal! But remember: eating MEAT slows down those cards (pig out on the turkey, not the potatoes, lol), and alcohol lowers bs! So, eat lots of meat and enjoy the wine!

Sincerely, I DO hope it's good for you.... it IS mostly about heart and family....

Happy Thanksgiving, Ruth
It's going to be strange..not sure if I even have a place to go yet. My sis in laws brother may have the meal. I don't know yet. I miss that my brother and his wife left the state this summer and there will be no holiday with them. Yes, I will center on the turkey with very small portions of everything else. I shouldn't be drinking alcohol at all actually. Thank you for your ideas and Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
In previous meals we have had turkey, dressing, cranberries, green bean casserol, rolls and whatever else they may have made that day and of course the old pumpkin pie.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What is the "Thanksgiving Meal" in your home?

What are your faves... and what do you take a pass on....

Homemade ravioli since my husband is part Italian and that's our tradition :)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Shameless bump

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, we're having the same thing as we usually have...homemade ravioli LOL

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, we're having the same thing as we usually have...homemade ravioli LOL

Stuffed with Turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce and Pumpkin pie, I assume...

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Stuffed with Turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce and Pumpkin pie, I assume...

Do you like turkey? None of my us in the household like it but we love ravioli.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do you like turkey? None of my us in the household like it but we love ravioli.

Honestly, not so much.

I like the carbs (mashed potatoes and gravy, dressing, rolls) but the meal is TOO carbie (and heavy). I like the vegies (green beans with almonds) .... the Turkey is okay.... the cranberries are to be skipped. And my Mother-in-Law is making pies and she doesn't like Pumpkin Pie so I'm in luck (I don't either).

It's TRADITION. I don't really like messing with TRADITION. But yeah.... it's not my fave meal. I'd probably prefer salmon....

Happy Thanksgiving!

- Josiah

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Hard pass on sweet potatoes for me. My wife loves them, I can't stand them. For some meals she cooks a small portion of them so she can have some.

I like most of the rest of it. My wife has a recipe for baked corn that is delicious, especially when she makes it with corn from our farmer friends who let us have as much corn as we want from their fields.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Hard pass on sweet potatoes for me.

Yeah. Forgot that. Right there with the cranberries.... NOT on my plate.

Top Bottom