Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
They are silly IMO

Truth is I was temporarily acting somewhat the same way so I don't label it short of anything but the Holy Spirit.
I certainly believe that even you Albion could one day have an experience that was so self humiliating that other people saw you as 'drunk' when you were simply hit with the Holy Ghost, but if you were to continue on in this manner for others to witness... well then you are just putting on a show now aren't you?
I pray he does

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I wonder if therse attacks on Pentecostals is driven by something else?

Guess you would have to have the spirit in you and discern what is of God and what isnt.
Actually, both of these cultic characteristics of the movement have already been referred to--the "You're not a real Christian if you don't do it yourself," and the "If you doubt any part of it, that proves you dont have the Holy Spirit like we do" defenses.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I wonder if therse attacks on Pentecostals is driven by something else?

I don't think these are "attacks on Pentecostals", but rather some legitimate questions. Being "driven by the Spirit" is subjective - it's determined solely by the person. I've been in Pentecostal services where the Spirit was (supposedly) present, I lifted my hands, closed my eyes, raised my head, and... not a thing. I'd also had subjective emotional experiences in Pentecostal services where I was on the ground sobbing and making sounds that (most likely) came from a place of emotional pain of some sort.

The final experience I had in the Pentecostal church - the one that "broke the camel's back" so to speak - was where I was off to the side of the altar, quietly praying, and a woman caught up in an emotional fit came alongside me and was literally screaming in my ear. She was lost in a world of her own with another lady praying with her - but both seemed oblivious to the fact that she was screaming directly in my ear. That was it, and I was gone. Shall we say that she was "driven by the Spirit"? She was driven by something,but I'm not sure it was that. For those that do ascribe to a Pentecostal experience, I'd advise reading Paul's letters and instructions on orderly worship and how these gifts are supposed to be used. I didn't see anything about screaming in someone's ear, but I did see something about "...decently and in order"

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Lets face it, many will go in different directions and thats ok but really, they need to take swipes that are not even true but blown out of contecxt

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
No idea what they did since I am not one. The moving of the spirit is not something one proves any more than you can show God except in examples of what He has done and is doing but that is also subjective. You still have not told me how you prove that which is spirit, what does come to my mind is the scripture that states if you cant underatand earthly things then how can you understand spiritual because asking for proof od the spirit shopws a lack of understanding and or experience of it. You say it is an innaccurate picture of how things were, how do you know? Were you there? God can and does do things that are not always as we expect so if He wanted the animals quiet they would have been or perhaps the animals sensed the holiness much as they sense our moods. You also cannot prove that it didnt happen that way so lets see how good you are at explaining thta which cant really be proven.
There are evidences. The Bible shares these with us. What are some of these evidences?

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Ah! I am glad to read that.

None of this has much of anything to do with the ecstatic acting-out stuff being called evidence of the presence of the Holy Spirit, though. (?)
Indeed. John tells us that the Spirit is a teacher. 1 John 2...
26*I am writing these things to warn you about those who want to lead you astray.*27*But you have received the Holy Spirit,*and he lives within you, so you don’t need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit*teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true—it is not a lie. So just as he has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ.
Jesus tells us that the Spirit is a counselor.
We don't see the Spirit only making people emotional without bringing deep teaching and conviction.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Indeed. John tells us that the Spirit is a teacher. 1 John 2...
26*I am writing these things to warn you about those who want to lead you astray.*27*But you have received the Holy Spirit,*and he lives within you, so you don’t need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit*teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true—it is not a lie. So just as he has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ.
Jesus tells us that the Spirit is a counselor.
We don't see the Spirit only making people emotional without bringing deep teaching and conviction.
*Stands up from pew at the very front and points at you shouting...*
.."Hey that's the truth brother Menno!
Keep on preachin' on!"

No lie but that's probably something I would do and have done in the past lol :)

Top Bottom