• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Christian Theology - Thread: Titles Used by Clergymen.

MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      81.31%
      Grand PooBah!

Albion is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.11%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      No, they call him "Joe" and his assistant is also called by his Christian name. Some prefix "Father" many do not.
      Wow. I think this must be very unusual. "Fr. Joe," perhaps, but what you say does surprise me.

MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      26.7%
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
      Wow. I think this must be very unusual. "Fr. Joe," perhaps, but what you say does surprise me.
      Oz is a different country with a different culture.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      66.23%
      This seems to be more of a cultural issue. In many places in the south the pastor is referred to as the "preacher" or "Brother _______". When I was growing up in Texas the pastors were known as Reverend. I think it is more about what your use to hearing others call clergy

5. Likes Josiah liked this post
      tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,525,146 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      31.9%
      This seems minor, but I know of some hard feelings in congregations over how the clergy want to be addressed.

The choices are many, from Mister to Reverend to Father to Doctor to Bishop, and even Apostle. That last one seems to be gaining favor in some churches. However, there are some who prefer just their own first name. What do you think about this matter and why so?
      If a church leader wants to be called "apostle" that's all the reason I'd need to find another church.

My pastor just goes by his first name. I don't see why pastors need to be called "Pastor (name)" - it's not like we don't know they are the pastor and it seems like contrived deference that isn't required. I can respect the pastor's spiritual authority over the church without specifically prefixing his name with a title.

In a more formal context it doesn't hurt to use formal salutations - if a church leader has been ordained and holds a doctorate it's not unreasonable to formally address them as the Rev Dr John Doe but absent a formal qualification I'd regard a formal "Mr John Doe" to be all that is required.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

marhig is offline New Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      70%
      Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
      If a church leader wants to be called "apostle" that's all the reason I'd need to find another church.

My pastor just goes by his first name. I don't see why pastors need to be called "Pastor (name)" - it's not like we don't know they are the pastor and it seems like contrived deference that isn't required. I can respect the pastor's spiritual authority over the church without specifically prefixing his name with a title.

In a more formal context it doesn't hurt to use formal salutations - if a church leader has been ordained and holds a doctorate it's not unreasonable to formally address them as the Rev Dr John Doe but absent a formal qualification I'd regard a formal "Mr John Doe" to be all that is required.
      I don't think anyone truly belonging to God should have titles and be called things like doctor or reverend either. Gods true people shouldn't wish to be reverenced in any way, let alone have reverend in front of their names. Which of the apostles were called reverend? They are addressed by their first names. No reverend or right reverend or most reverend. Just John, Peter, James, Paul etc, even Jesus wasn't called reverend Jesus. And we should call no man on earth our father, as Jesus said in Matthew 22. We have one father, our father in heaven.

Matthew 22

And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      26.7%
      Quote Originally Posted by marhig View Post
      I don't think anyone truly belonging to God should have titles and be called things like doctor or reverend either. Gods true people shouldn't wish to be reverenced in any way, let alone have reverend in front of their names. Which of the apostles were called reverend? They are addressed by their first names. No reverend or right reverend or most reverend. Just John, Peter, James, Paul etc, even Jesus wasn't called reverend Jesus. And we should call no man on earth our father, as Jesus said in Matthew 22. We have one father, our father in heaven.

Matthew 22

And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
      What do you think of this passage:
      I do not write this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel. I urge you, then, be imitators of me. Therefore I sent to you Timothy, my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, to remind you of my ways in Christ, as I teach them everywhere in every church.
      1 Corinthians 4:14-17
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.11%
      Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post

I suppose the standard answer is that he supposedly has a calling and it is a position that deserves some respect, etc.

...which seems like a reasonable compromise.

Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.11%
      Quote Originally Posted by marhig View Post
      I don't think anyone truly belonging to God should have titles and be called things like doctor or reverend either. Gods true people shouldn't wish to be reverenced in any way, let alone have reverend in front of their names. Which of the apostles were called reverend? They are addressed by their first names. No reverend or right reverend or most reverend. Just John, Peter, James, Paul etc, even Jesus wasn't called reverend Jesus.
      No, but we see from the Scriptures that he was addressed as "rabbi," which indicates some degree of formality.

Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      66.35%
      No, but we see from the Scriptures that he was addressed as "rabbi," which indicates some degree of formality.
      Correct.

And of course Jesus Himself is often referred to in the Bible with a title, "Christ."

Paul refers to the Roman Emperior not by name but by his title, "Caesar" He refers to "bishops" "pastors" "deacons" - all titles.
      We are justified by works - just not our own.