CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      25.74%

Are you afraid? Thousand Oaks killings.

In California, Ventura county, Thousand Oaks at a bar 12 people were shot and killed by a chap who was 28/9 years old named Ian (pronounced ee-an) David Long who was an ex-marine. Does it make you fearful for your own safety to know that so many shootings are happening. Ian shot (and killed I think) the guard who was outside, near the door. The bar was mostly filled with university students.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      66.35%
      We ALL need to be "ready" to die - at any moment. My confidence is absolute because it is entirely in Christ.
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      81.12%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      In California, Ventura county, Thousand Oaks at a bar 12 people were shot and killed by a chap who was 28/9 years old named Ian (pronounced ee-an) David Long who was an ex-marine. Does it make you fearful for your own safety to know that so many shootings are happening. Ian shot (and killed I think) the guard who was outside, near the door. The bar was mostly filled with university students.
      God is Sovereign. We will not die until God ordains. How we die is by God's decree. Why should we worry?

MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      25.74%
      Josiah & Mennosota, your replies appear rather fatalistic. Que Sera Sera ...
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      66.35%
      Josiah & Mennosota, your replies appear rather fatalistic. Que Sera Sera ...

Friend, your question is about FEAR... are we AFRAID of our death.

IMO, those who think that salvation depends on SELF (even 0.0000000001%) have solid reason to fear.... and those who believe that Jesus died for only a minority of people have a solid reason to fear. But for those who believe that Jesus is the Savior, well.... we can then have confidence.

That doesn't mean I necessarily look forward to death (although St. Paul did) or to DYING (the process can be horrible, as it was for Jesus) but, no, I'm not afraid of death. IMO, no Christian who accepts Jesus as the Savior has any reason to be.

Friend.... you could die this very hour. A comet would crash down and instantly kill you. Sorry to be "dark" but it IS a reality - death happens. FEAR comes from the uncertainty of salvation.... it is vanished when we realize that Jesus saves us.

I wish you a very long, very healthy life - and a peaceful, confident death in Jesus.

We are justified by works - just not our own.

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (165,167 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      6.85%
      Josiah brings our attention to an important question...what exactly are you asking Are we afraid of? Being killed? Although a lot of us aren't ready to die; we know we'll be with the Lord since we're His children so there shouldn't be fear of dying.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

7. Likes Josiah liked this post
      psalms 91 is online now Silver Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (3,643,050 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      72.94%
      worry is fear and fear is sin. I agree that if our confidence is in God then what is there to fear and I also agree that we will not die until Gods ordained time for each of us.
      Isaiah 40:31

9. Likes MennoSota liked this post
      MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      25.74%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      Josiah brings our attention to an important question...what exactly are you asking Are we afraid of? Being killed? Although a lot of us aren't ready to die; we know we'll be with the Lord since we're His children so there shouldn't be fear of dying.
      Afraid of going to places where shooters might attack. Afraid of being shot and wounded, injured, crippled, or killed. These are the sorts of things that happen with shooter's victims. It isn't a theological question. This is the "news centre" forum.

psalms 91 is online now Silver Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (3,643,050 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      72.94%
      Afraid of going to places where shooters might attack. Afraid of being shot and wounded, injured, crippled, or killed. These are the sorts of things that happen with shooter's victims. It isn't a theological question. This is the "news centre" forum.
      Actually it is a question of do you trust God? Do you hear Him when He tries to warn you say not to go? So yes it is a theological question
      Isaiah 40:31

tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,497,658 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      31.49%
      Once you take out suicides (about 2/3 of gun-related deaths) and justified homicides the chances of being killed in a motor accident are substantially higher than being killed in a shooting.

In the US, statistically speaking, the best way to avoid being shot is to avoid so-called "gun free zones".

Spiritually speaking, I can't argue with Josiah and Mennosota - if God needs me to stay on this earth for something then God will protect me. Once God decides my time is up then so be it. One might argue it's fatalistic but it's not as if our beliefs have anything to do with it - the people who died unexpectedly early faced the same fate regardless of their worldviews.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.