Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
U: "unconditional election"

Lutheranism: Before the world was created, God unconditionally elected some (the elect) for salvation but did not reprobate (chose for damnation) any.
Relevant Bible passages: Romans 9:11; 1 Timothy 2:3-4; 2 Cor. 5:14-15; Mat. 25:34.

A Biblical challenge to this ‘Lutheran’ position.

I yield the point that “before the world was created, God unconditionally elected some (the elect) for salvation” since on that point, Calvinists, Lutherans and Scripture agree.

I wish to challenge the point that “before the world was created, God ... did not reprobate (chose for damnation) any” as both scripturally untrue and logically unsupportable.

First the direct scriptural refutation:

[Romans 9:15-24 NASB]
15 For He says to Moses, "I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION." 16 So then it [does] not [depend] on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE I RAISED YOU UP, TO DEMONSTRATE MY POWER IN YOU, AND THAT MY NAME MIGHT BE PROCLAIMED THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE EARTH." 18 So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires. 19 You will say to me then, "Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?" 20 On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it? 21 Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use? 22 What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction? 23 And [He did so] to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory, 24 [even] us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles.

God will have mercy on whom God will have mercy.
God hardens whom God desires (like Pharaoh) to demonstrate God’s power.
The potter has the right to make ‘honorable’ and ‘common’ vessels
God has the right to make ‘vessels of wrath prepared for destruction’.
God made vessels of wrath to reveal God’s glory upon ‘vessels of mercy’.
The “called” (aka. Saints or Elect) are the ‘vessels of mercy’.

How can you argue that there are no ‘vessels of wrath’ made by God.

Now the indirect Scriptural refutation:

Since we acknowledge that God ‘unconditionally elected’ some, the question becomes what about those who were NOT elected.

Let’s start by looking at what scripture has to say about the “natural man”:

[John 6:43-45 NASB] 43 Jesus answered and said to them, "Do not grumble among yourselves. 44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day. 45 "It is written in the prophets, 'AND THEY SHALL ALL BE TAUGHT OF GOD.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me.

1. The Father will draw only the elect because all those that the Father draws will be raised by Jesus on the last day.
2. Only the elect are taught by God, because to the natural man, the things of God are ‘foolishness’ and ‘he cannot understand them’ (see below).

[John 10:24-31 NASB] 24 The Jews then gathered around Him, and were saying to Him, "How long will You keep us in suspense? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly." 25 Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father's name, these testify of Me. 26 "But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep. 27 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; 28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. 29 "My Father, who has given [them] to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch [them] out of the Father's hand. 30 "I and the Father are one." 31 The Jews picked up stones again to stone Him.

1. In v.24 we have the non-elect asking Jesus plainly and even Jesus can’t explain it to the non-elect in a manner that will make them understand. By v.31 they are ready to kill him.
2. Jesus said that both telling and showing the non-elect is of no use (Jesus did both) ... they are just ‘not His sheep’ (the elect).
3. His sheep (the elect) ‘hear’ and ‘follow’. The non-elect do neither.
4. His sheep (the elect) receive eternal life, those not this sheep (the non-elect) do not.
5. God the Father has ‘given’ (predestined) His sheep (the elect) to Jesus and no one can take what the Father has given. [Implied] Those not His sheep were not given by the Father and cannot jump into his hand.

[Romans 3:10-12 NASB] 10 as it is written, "THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE; 11 THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS, THERE IS NONE WHO SEEKS FOR GOD; 12 ALL HAVE TURNED ASIDE, TOGETHER THEY HAVE BECOME USELESS; THERE IS NONE WHO DOES GOOD, THERE IS NOT EVEN ONE."

1. No one innately understands and seeks God, or desires to do good ... not even one.

[1 Corinthians 2:14 NASB] 14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

1. The things of God are ‘foolishness’ to the non-elect.
2. The non-elect ‘cannot understand’ the things of God.

[2 Corinthians 4:3-4 NASB] 3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

1. The unbelieving mind is blinded to the gospel by the ‘god of this world’.

Thus those not elected (the non-elect) are not drawn to Jesus or taught by the Father (John 6:43-45). They do not hear or follow nor will Jesus raise them on the last day (John 10:24-31). They don’t understand, seek God or want to do good (Romans 3:10-12). All spiritual truths are foolishness to the non-elect (1 Corinthians 2:14) and they are blind to the truth of the gospel (2 Corinthians 4:3-4).

This reality is explained in the Parable of the Seed:

[Luke 8:11-15 NASB]
11 "Now the parable is this: the seed is the word of God. 12 "Those beside the road are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their heart, so that they will not believe and be saved. 13 "Those on the rocky [soil are] those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no [firm] root; they believe for a while, and in time of temptation fall away. 14 "The [seed] which fell among the thorns, these are the ones who have heard, and as they go on their way they are choked with worries and riches and pleasures of [this] life, and bring no fruit to maturity. 15 "But the [seed] in the good soil, these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance.

1. Only the seed in the ‘good soil’ (“an honest and good heart”) bears fruit. We find a hint to the source of the good soil in the Old Testament ...

[Ezekiel 36:26-27 NASB] 26 "Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 "I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.

2. God removes the hard heart and gives us a new heart ... and his Spirit.

Thus from scripture the only place that the seed of God’s word can grow is in the good soil of a new heart prepared by the Holy Spirit in those chosen by the Father to be Jesus’ sheep and drawn to Jesus’ to be cared for. This applies to ‘the elect’.

From scripture, those ‘not elected’ (the non-elect) are not good soil, and have no ability to become good soil, Jesus’ sheep or to understand spiritual truth in their own power. From this I must reluctantly conclude that God has extended Mercy towards the elect and left the non-elect (What Reformed Theology calls the ‘reprobate’) in their natural condition to earn divine Justice ... both to demonstrate the Glory and Power of God.

I welcome any exegetically sound scriptural commentary that attempts to explain how the non-elect can save themselves without an initial act of grace from God. (Or some alternate scriptural definition of ‘the elect’ than those destined to spend eternity in heaven.)

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
L: "limited atonement"

Calvinism: Jesus only died for the elect, objectively atoning for only their sin, but he did not die for the sins of the reprobates.
Arminianism: Christ died to give all the possibility to be saved.
Lutheranism: Christ’s death objectively atoned for all the sin of the world; by believing we receive this objective atonement and its benefits.

”This doctrine is chiefly concerned about the original purpose, plan, or design of God in sending Christ into the world to die on the cross. Was it the Father’s intent to send His Son to die on the cross to make salvation possible for everyone, but with the possibility that His death would be effective for no one? That is, did God simply send Christ to the cross to make salvation possible, or did God, from all eternity, have a plan of salvation by which, according to the riches of His grace and His eternal election, He designed the atonement to ensure the salvation of His people? Was the atonement limited in its original design?” - R.C. Sproul

LIMITED ATONEMENT could be better described as ‘Definite Atonement’ or even ‘Specific Redemption’. The message that Calvinism is attempting to communicate with the term is that GOD specifically designed, from eternity past, the work of redemption to actually provide a real and sure salvation. Jesus Christ died on the cross for His sheep ... the Good Shepherd literally laying down his life for those that the Father had given Him, thereby securing our actual (not theoretical) salvation.

[2 Peter 3:8-9 NASB]
8 But do not let this one [fact] escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. 9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

“... not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance” is often quoted in an attempt to refute LIMITED ATONEMENT. However, one only need start reading a few words earlier to see the truth. “[The Lord] is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.” Can you see it? He is talking about “you” (us, the saints, the elect) ... The Lord is patient towards us. The Lord does not wish for any of us to perish. The Lord wants all of us to come to repentance. Peter is speaking to the elect and about the elect. The future elect cannot come to repentance if Jesus returns before they are born and the Holy Spirit transforms their heart, so God is patient.

Calvinists read scripture and we do not see a God who sends Christ to die and then crosses His fingers and hopes that someone will take advantage of what Jesus offers. We read scripture and see the redemption of specific sinners as an eternal plan of God, perfectly conceived and perfectly executed so that the atoning work of Christ accomplishes the will of God to save His people.

The ‘limit’ of LIMITED ATONEMENT is not a limit on the value or merit of the work of Christ. Jesus’ death on the cross was sufficient to wash clean all sins of all people. Anyone and everyone who places their trust in Jesus will receive the full measure of grace that comes from that atonement. The gospel is also to be preached universally ... shouted to anyone and everyone within earshot. However, scripture states that the gospel is not offered to all (2 Corinthians 4:3-4). All must be told, but only His sheep will hear and follow (John 10:26-27). Only those drawn by the Father will come (John 6:44). Only the good soil will bare fruit (Luke 8:15). So the merit of the atonement is offered to all who repent and believe ... the elect, the saints, God’s children.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Here's a video that just deals with the best known part of TULIP, double predestination (or God's choosing to damn most people)... It's 9 minutes long, which I realize is too long for many, but it does a good job with this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuGA6Nq7a_Q

As regards to the CLAIM of "active" election to salvation and "passive" election to damnation, see From the Institutes, book 3, chapter 22, section 5: Calvin said:

The predestination by which God adopts some to the hope of life, and adjudges others to eternal death, no man who would be thought pious ventures simply to deny; but it is greatly caviled at, especially by those who make prescience its cause. We, indeed, ascribe both prescience and predestination to God; but we say, that it is absurd to make the latter subordinate to the former (see chap. 22 sec. 1). When we attribute prescience to God, we mean that all things always were, and ever continue, under his eye; that to his knowledge there is no past or future, but all things are present, and indeed so present, that it is not merely the idea of them that is before him (as those objects are which we retain in our memory), but that he truly sees and contemplates them as actually under his immediate inspection. This prescience extends to the whole circuit of the world, and to all creatures. By predestination we mean the eternal decree of God, by which he determined with himself whatever he wished to happen with regard to every man. All are not created on equal terms, but some are preordained to eternal life, others to eternal damnation; and, accordingly, as each has been created for one or other of these ends, we say that he has been predestinated to life or to death. This God has testified, not only in the case of single individuals; he has also given a specimen of it in the whole posterity of Abraham, to make it plain that the future condition of each nation lives entirely at his disposal: "When the Most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel. For the Lord's portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance," (Deut. 32:8, 9).

Thus Calvin stresses DOUBLE equal predestination.... the Greek idea of Fate.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As regards to the CLAIM of "active" election to salvation and "passive" election to damnation, see From the Institutes, book 3, chapter 22, section 5: Calvin said:

Thus Calvin stresses DOUBLE equal predestination.... the Greek idea of Fate.

Are those that God does not MONERGISTICLY save, going to heaven?

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
PS. “Double Predestination” is not one of the 5 points of Calvinism. There is no “D” in T.U.L.I.P.

(T)otal Depravity
(U)nconditional Election
(L)imited Atonement
(I)rresistible Grace
(P)erseverance of the Saints

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
PS. “Double Predestination” is not one of the 5 points of Calvinism. There is no “D” in T.U.L.I.P.

(T)otal Depravity
(U)nconditional Election
(L)imited Atonement
(I)rresistible Grace
(P)erseverance of the Saints

Are you sure it isn't
  • (T)otal Depravity
  • (U)nconditional Election [for the elect] and unconditional reprobation [for everyone else]
  • (L)imited Atonement
  • (I)rresistible Grace
  • (P)erseverance of the Saints

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Are you sure it isn't
  • (T)otal Depravity
  • (U)nconditional Election [for the elect] and unconditional reprobation [for everyone else]
  • (L)imited Atonement
  • (I)rresistible Grace
  • (P)erseverance of the Saints

Read post 60 and decide for yourself.
I explain Unconditional Election in that post.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Read post 60 and decide for yourself.
I explain Unconditional Election in that post.

Posts #60 & #61 is what some Calvinists believe others will happily accept the U as (U)nconditional Election [for the elect] and unconditional reprobation [for everyone else]

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Posts #60 & #61 is what some Calvinists believe others will happily accept the U as (U)nconditional Election [for the elect] and unconditional reprobation [for everyone else]
You ignore the definition of Conditional Election, as offered by the Five Remonstrances and refuted by the 5 points of Calvinism.
I explained it.
You are certainly free to disbelieve, but ignoring the historic and theological context leaves us nothing to discuss.
Goodnight.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
You ignore the definition of Conditional Election, as offered by the Five Remonstrances and refuted by the 5 points of Calvinism.
I explained it.
The remonstrance was rejected and those who adhered to it were persecuted. The history is not secret.
You are certainly free to disbelieve, but ignoring the historic and theological context leaves us nothing to discuss.
Goodnight.

Top Bottom