What Forgiveness Scripture(s) Do You Like Most?

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Forgiveness is something that sometimes comes hard for some of us especially when we have been emotionally scarred by the acts of others. I have had great injustices done to me in my life and carried around a lot of anger but it wasn't something that women were allowed to be-angry that is-so I hid it all the time under a smile and laughing. Went through much counseling and was given antidepressants because I turned the anger inward on myself and did things that harmed myself.

Here is a scripture about it that I like:

Luke 23:34
Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

Yes, people at times don't know what they are doing and it took me a long time to realize that. Something made them act so hurtfully. I find in forgiving them it takes a great burden off myself for one thing, I don't have to carry around all that anger inside tearing me apart little by little. It also gives them another chance in my mind and it does wonders for God, too. I don't have to associate with such people, though, and I don't have to trust them. I just "let them be" in my mind and release them from my thoughts.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
1 John 2:2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
1 John 2:2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

Thanks Lamm, would you care to say what it means to you or the reason you like it?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Thanks Lamm, would you care to say what it means to you or the reason you like it?

I like the verse because it shows that God reconciled the world to himself and not just a select few. Those who reject damn themselves so it's not God's fault. He is gracious and merciful and forgiveness doesn't depend on anything we can do.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I like the verse because it shows that God reconciled the world to himself and not just a select few. Those who reject damn themselves so it's not God's fault. He is gracious and merciful and forgiveness doesn't depend on anything we can do.
Does that mean we should not forgive then? I believe there is a difference between God's forgiveness and our personal forgiveness: we have our personal power to forgive when we are wronged and help ourselves that way. God forgives all of most things, too. We are not perfect like God and don't always let go or forgive when it would do us good to do so.

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Does that mean we should not forgive then? I believe there is a difference between God's forgiveness and our personal forgiveness: we have our personal power to forgive when we are wronged and help ourselves that way. God forgives all of most things, too. We are not perfect like God and don't always let go or forgive when it would do us good to do so.

Our forgiveness of others (or ourselves) is not a condition of God's forgiveness OR His salvation. We forgive other people because we are to love our neighbors and God has shown us an example of what pure of love is and that's by being gracious, merciful and forgiving. Even when we don't forgive others we are still forgiven at the cross because that's where Jesus died for the forgiveness of all our sins.

Top Bottom