Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Against Edom
Obadiah 1:1 The Vision of Obadiah. This is what the Lord Yahweh says about Edom: We have heard news from Yahweh, and a messenger has been sent out to the nations to say, “Rise, let us go against Esau.” 2 The day has come: you now are small among the nations; you are utterly despised. 3 Your arrogance has led you astray, you, who live in the clefts of the rock; you, who make the heights your home; you, who say to yourself: Who can bring me down to the ground? 4 Though you soar like the eagle, though you make your nests among the stars, I will bring you down again. 5 If thieves or plunderers come at night, what a disaster awaits you then! Would they not ransack till they had enough? If grape gatherers worked in your vineyard, would they not leave only gleanings? 6 See how Esau has been looted, even his hidden treasures pillaged! 7 You have been driven to the frontiers: and those were your very friends! Those who partook of your bread set for you a trap in secret. 8 Yahweh declares: Shall I not destroy the wise men of Edom on that day, and deprive of sages the mountain of Esau? 9 Your warriors, O Teman, will be afraid, and all from Mount Esau will be slaughtered. 10 For the violence done to Jacob, your brother, you will be disgraced and destroyed forever. 11 You stood aloof in waiting, when strangers carried off his wealth; when foreigners entered his gates and cast lots for Jerusalem, you were as guilty as the rest of them. 12 Do not come to see and gloat over the misfortune of your brother. Do not exult over Judah’s ruin, nor brag on the day of her destruction. 13 Do not go through the gate of my people on the day of their disgrace; nor gloat over them in their misfortune on the day of their adversity; nor lay your hands upon their possessions on the day of their destruction. 14 Do not wait at the crossroad to slay their stragglers; nor betray their survivors on the day of their disaster. 15 For the day of Yahweh is near for every nation. As you have done to another, so, to you, will it be done. Whatever you have done will come back upon your head. 16 For as you have drunk on my holy mountain, so will the surrounding nation drink; drink, and drink up to the brim… Then they shall be as if they had never been. 17 But there will be survivors on Mount Zion —a holy remnant. The house of Jacob will take possession of its own inheritance. 18 The nation of Jacob will be a fire, the nation of Joseph a flame; but those of Esau will be a stubble; and they will burn and consume them. And of Esau’s house, none will remain, for it is Yahweh who has spoken. 19 People from the Negeb will occupy Esau’s mountains; those from the plains, the land of the Philistines; they will occupy Ephraim and Samaria, and Benjamin will possess Gilead. 20 The Israelite exiles who are in Canaan will possess Phoenicia as far as Zarephtah; the exiles from Jerusalem now in Sepharad will possess the towns of the Negeb. 21 Deliverers will ascend Mount Zion to rule over the mountains of Esau, —then Yahweh will reign.

Does that help?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
How much extra context do you want?

I wasn't asking for extra context. I was saying that your taking it out of context. The Lord was speaking in the passage you referred to in Obadiah to the enemies of Israel and how they were treating them when they went into exile. It isn't the same at all. If you look at verse 12 they were taking advantage of the exile and ruin of Israel instead of having mercy on them. That is the context.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I wasn't asking for extra context. I was saying that your taking it out of context. The Lord was speaking in the passage you referred to in Obadiah to the enemies of Israel and how they were treating them when they went into exile. It isn't the same at all. If you look at verse 12 they were taking advantage of the exile and ruin of Israel instead of having mercy on them. That is the context.

It actually opens the door to some interesting questions. If Christians are “Judah” in that verse and the modern Refugees are the “Edomites” then those oppressing the refugees are the “worldly kingdoms” (like Assyria) that God is unsung to destroy the “Edomite” Refugees for their past sins against God’s Christians.

Would it be the duty of a Christian to attempt to thwart the justice of God by intervening in a war between two worldly peoples that God is dealing with, or should Christians just watch in fear and awe as God works out his justice.

Perhaps Christians need to focus more on what God actually told us to be doing and less on what scripture does not call us to do. [shrug] Just a thought. ;)

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
The reason for the caravans is in part for the sake of the relative safety of those seeking immigration into the USA...
Those are long treks, and a small family is just too vulnerable walking it alone... Mexicans have a better chance... Because they are the "locals"...

A large group that sticks together can provide for the protection of its members...

But what is disturbing is the role of the "community organizers" (with weapons) in the caravan wherein they are passing out money to at least some of the walkers... So this is not the walkers paying for their security, but the security paying for the walkers... At least in part... And the big trucks have not yet been identified as to their source, nor the sponsors providing for the group...

And it is turning into political hay for Trump right up to the elections...

Strange times - Highlighting our need for border security...

Arsenios

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes Mexico offered papers and jobs to any who chose to and they turned it down they need stopped and not be allowed to cross the border

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

"The Lord was speaking in the passage you referred to in Obadiah to the enemies of Israel and how they were treating them when they went into exile." that's right. "It isn't the same at all." That's wrong. The lesson to learn is that God holds guilty those who harass refugees and those who mistreat them when they are in distress.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
"The Lord was speaking in the passage you referred to in Obadiah to the enemies of Israel and how they were treating them when they went into exile." that's right. "It isn't the same at all." That's wrong. The lesson to learn is that God holds guilty those who harass refugees and those who mistreat them when they are in distress.

When I go to Disney and see some parent berating a child for not obeying in a mean spirited and hurtful manner, I feel sad for the family and the needless suffering that man/woman dragging that child by the arm is inflicting.

If that person were screaming at MY child and dragging MY CHILD away by the arm, my reaction would have been much stronger and ‘antisocial’ towards that individual. There is a huge difference between someone abusing their child and someone abusing my child.

GOD was dishing out punishment on those who had abused HIS children. If you think that there is no difference between how people treat their children and how they treat your children, you have never been a parent.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
When I go to Disney and see some parent berating a child for not obeying in a mean spirited and hurtful manner, I feel sad for the family and the needless suffering that man/woman dragging that child by the arm is inflicting.

If that person were screaming at MY child and dragging MY CHILD away by the arm, my reaction would have been much stronger and ‘antisocial’ towards that individual. There is a huge difference between someone abusing their child and someone abusing my child.

GOD was dishing out punishment on those who had abused HIS children. If you think that there is no difference between how people treat their children and how they treat your children, you have never been a parent.

Many, probably over 90%, of the "caravan" people are Catholic Christians. They are God's children.

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
But not all of God's children are Catholics. Those caravan of people coming out of war torn countries were not Catholics so much either because most of the Catholics that we had the "N"s on our profiles for were not the ones that could run from the Isis. In the same manner the Sudas couldn't run from the Arabs. Christians divided has been going on for years and is the product of what?
Many, probably over 90%, of the "caravan" people are Catholic Christians. They are God's children.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
But not all of God's children are Catholics. Those caravan of people coming out of war torn countries were not Catholics so much either because most of the Catholics that we had the "N"s on our profiles for were not the ones that could run from the Isis. In the same manner the Sudas couldn't run from the Arabs. Christians divided has been going on for years and is the product of what?
And they should applu for assuylum in the right way. We cannot and should not allow huge groups of people to enter illegally./

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

This isn't the Old Testament where God tells his people to invade other lands, is it?

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
This isn't the Old Testament where God tells his people to invade other lands, is it?
It would be considered the grounds that manifest destiny is derived from I would imagine.

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
And they should applu for assuylum in the right way. We cannot and should not allow huge groups of people to enter illegally./
I'm from Canada and from the turmoil that's happening from the states and our borders so close that USA could easily amalgamate it with an influx that is a concern. The discontent seems extreme.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

The "caravan" people are walking, not invading.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

The "caravan" is in Mexico at this time, and people in it are from Honduras, Guatemala, and Nicaragua. They are the people that Donald Trump is calling "an invasion" of the USA.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I'm from Canada and from the turmoil that's happening from the states and our borders so close that USA could easily amalgamate it with an influx that is a concern. The discontent seems extreme.
I agree I would love to come to Canada, just to old. This country is divided badly and until Trump goes it wont change and maybe not even then

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I agree I would love to come to Canada, just to old. This country is divided badly and until Trump goes it wont change and maybe not even then

You would be disappointed.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I dont know, when I was younger spent time in England in the service and I loved it therre

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I dont know, when I was younger spent time in England in the service and I loved it therre

Ah, well, that is different IMO. I certainly know what you mean about that.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I think the US should pay the caravan to move on to Canada where the people are cold, but the weather is colder. [emoji16]

Top Bottom