Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The law says they have to be in USA territory to apply for asylum. There's a lot of them, a couple of thousand at least, would they all fit in the USA Honduras embassy?
Yes if they would have applied the right way, I am sure that they would not have all showed up at the same time. Whatever difficulties they encounter in this trek is of their own doing and was not necessary as there were legal avenues open to them.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes

Last edited:

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
They can apply when they are on USA territory; I guess some embassies would fit that. Why not apply at the border crossing?

Tell me just how many of the thousands will understand the process noted by you in post 32? "Applying at the border crossing" in that fashion (the filling and filing of forms, etc.) would be all of impossible. Some may require a computer, translator, different types of verification, etc. Applying for unemployment took me a few hours and required forms from past employers as well as records/dates of work and income. Can you imagine what would be asked for with immigration documents?
Actually, never-mind. Here it is:

Form I-589 Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal

That "Residence in the U.S. (where you physically reside)" question might trip a few people up.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The USA handles this is the same way almost every other nation on the planet does....

If you want to visit the USA (for whatever purpose), visit the US Embassy or Consulate in your country and apply. Such applications are handled FIRST and as quickly as possible.

If you want asylum, the process is the same BUT because refuges often have left their country and because the US may not have an embassy in that oppressive country, such may go to any embassy or consulate (such as a neighboring nation) and if one is not abilable there, they can go to a UK embassy or consulate (they are in more countries than US ones) and apply there. Such applications are handled FIRST and as quickly as possible.

The USA has accepted more such application than any other country... there are CURRENTLY about 37 million LEGAL immigrants and refuges in the USA - considerably more than the entire human population of Australia.

Until the 1950's, the USA permitted people to just show up and they would be vetted at that time. Many of these were at Ellis Island (I've been there, done the tour). This was ended because it is inhumane - some of these people spent all the money they had to get to the USA and then were turned back, a very difficult thing! So the USA ended this practice of handling applications HERE - we did this long after most countries came to the same conclusion and also ended it. So for 60 years, the USA has done this like almost every other nation. It not only allows things to be done in an orderly and more complete manner, but also in a more humane manner - not separating people or sending people back home when they have no means to go home. People can KNOW they can enter easily and legally BEFORE they sell things and arrive on our shores. A much more just and humane process....

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Tell me just how many of the thousands will understand the process noted by you in post 32?
I have no idea what any of the people in the "caravan" understand. The law in the USA says what it says and that is what matters legally speaking.
"Applying at the border crossing" in that fashion (the filling and filing of forms, etc.) would be all of impossible.
"Apply" and "filling in forms" is not the same thing. "Apply" can and does mean "ask" with or without forms in writing.
Some may require a computer, translator, different types of verification, etc. Applying for unemployment took me a few hours and required forms from past employers as well as records/dates of work and income. Can you imagine what would be asked for with immigration documents?
If you were unable to write you could still apply for unemployment. The forms are for people who can write. For those who cannot write other ways are available.
Actually, never-mind. Here it is:

Form I-589 Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal

That "Residence in the U.S. (where you physically reside)" question might trip a few people up.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
People will EVADE the understood (and nearly universal) humane process.... will reject the Rule of Law.... will disrespect the USA.... and will NOT apply for a visa or asylum at an embassy or consulate for one of two reasons: 1) They realize the USA will reject their application since the USA does not permit felons, rapist, drug dealers, human traffic peddlers, etc. OR 2) They simply have no respect for the Rule of Law and the USA. Thus, they will just try to CRASH the border (overwhelming security) or just enter illegally - by definition, criminals.

The USA has for some 60 years had the same process as virtually every other nation. It's humane, its fair, and it allows for more adequate vetting - as virtually every country as long discovered. And the USA grants FAR more than any other country on the planet - 37 MILLION legal ones right now, far more than there are PEOPLE in Australia.

Top Bottom