Can faith save him?

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
A gift "sought for" is not a gift given. We are not petulant children demanding ("asking" as you put it), but it is given freely.
Last Christmas I did not expect a tin of cookies from my landlord, but it was outside the door anyway. I also did not expect God to find me sitting alone at a kitchen table in Detroit in 2001 wondering what the heck happened to my life, but he showed up at the door anyway.

We have to ask that we receive because we cannot EARN the Gift of God that God IS...

The Gift IS God Himself, and NO creation can EVER earn the UNcreated God...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Arsenios

1. Nothing Paul writes affirms that Jesus is only the PART Savior (self being PART Savior - the part that actually determines if we are saved or not). NOTHING Paul writes affirms the heresy of Pelagianism.

2. You demand to place the OBEDIENCE of dead self, obedience to the Law by the dead atheist BEFORE justification (narrow). Your position is it all hinges on dead man's obedience and good works (all a reward for that) BEFORE the Holy Spirit comes to him,
BEFORE he has faith, BEFORE he has spiritual life, that God justly rewards the obedience and good works of the dead man with justification. Read the following:

1 Corinthians 2:14, "the one without the Holy Spirit does not accept the things of the Spirit."

1 Corinthians 12:3, "No one is capable of saying 'Jesus is Lord' without the Holy Spirit."

Hebrews 11:6, "Without faith it is impossible to please God."

Ephesians 2:1 "You were dead in sin."

Ephesians 2:8, "for by grace you have been saved because of faith and this is not your own doing but is the gift of God."

Creed: "The Holy Spirit is the Lord and Giver of life"

And YET
- you claim that people.... without faith, without the Holy Spirit, without spiritual life.... BEFORE these things come..... VOID of these things..... does something pleasing to God (obedience... works.... requesting.... etc., etc.) all without faith, without the Holy Spirit. And you have them void of life, the Holy Spirit and faith nonetheeless professing Jesus as Lord. Evidently, a lot of verses are wrong.... and so is the ancient Creed.

How is it that one without faith nonetheless does a work that is pleasing to God (which God says is "impossible")? How does one without faith and the Holy Spirit nonetheless proclaim Jesus is Lord (which God says is he "cannot")?

Again, I think there is MYSTERY here... Protestants don't claim to even begin to understand the dynamics here or HOW God performs the miracle of life (and we do consider justification as a DIVINE miracle), but what you are claiming is flately stated to be impossible, it "cannot" be the case. And..... just as troubling..... if it all hinges on the dead one doing what the Bible expressly states he cannot do, what is impossible for him to do.... then is Jesus the Savior? If we are justified, as you claim, because we FIRST earned it by our obedience, by the good works the dead one does, then Galatians 2:16 and Galatians 2:21 are also not true....

You make another absurd assumption: That if dead people are called to something ERGO they have the full ability to achieve it - NO Holy Spirit is needed, NO faith is needed, NO spiritual life is needed (because again, you insist that justification is dependent on one FIRST heeding the will of God - justification is dependent on FIRST fully obeying the Call of God. Well... then there would be no need for Jesus, would there? All God would need to do is command "Be yourselves saved" (could have saved himself a lot of trouble).... All would be fully able to be perfect even as God is perfect and to love all has Christ loved because all can respond to God's calls WITHOUT God doing a thing except issuing the command. Your assumption is absurd. Yes, God calls all the repentance and faith - but it is illogical (and unbiblical) to insist ERGO any one can obey - no need for God at all. At least Pelagius and the Jews and the Muslims give SOME role for God! You just have PURE LAW and dead man all on his own. Your insistence that FIRST comes our good works, our obedience THEN God rewards that with life, faith, and the Holy Spirit is absurd. You are imposing an absurd assumption into some verses.... God said to choose life, too: does that mean I asked for life and God gave it to me as a reward 9 months before I was born? Come on...

The dead, as you like to call us all equal to the corpses, can repent from the evil which they do...

Arsenios

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Menno, we are indeed Baptized INTO Christ...

So is it Harry and Maude who baptize us into Christ?

Or is it the Holy Spirit Who Baptizes us into Christ?

Or is it Christ Himself Who Baptizes us IN the Holy Spirit into Himself?

Here is the answer given in Holy Scripture:

Matt 3:11
I indeed baptize you IN water unto repentance:
but He that cometh after me is mightier than I,
Whose shoes I am not worthy to bear:
He shall baptize you IN the Holy Spirit,
And in fire:

The word IN is Strong's Number 1722
Defined as: in, by, with etc
The word BY only means NEAR - A derivative of IN...
It does not name the doer...
Christ IS the Baptizer, as later Scripture affirms...
Yet He Baptizes through the hands of His Disciples, remember?

Arsenios
Arsenios, until you grasp the difference in baptism before the cross and after the cross...you will live in your confusion.
The Holy Spirit baptizes us into Christ Jesus. Jesus told us he was sending the Holy Spirit. The Spirit has come. He baptizes us into Christ Jesus and he counsels us in Christ Jesus.
I believe it is your misunderstanding in this area that leads you to your works salvation that will not save you.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
@Imaginary Day 2;

There were several questions there. I don't think so simple a response is adequate.

Actually, Lamm's response is absolutely on target and it IS that simple....

I spend a lot of times on these posts.... so I appreciate when they are read, lol

A couple here want to make James state that we are saved by TWO things - Christ's works and also our own, that the object of faith in James' writings is two-fold: Jesus and self. THAT is what some of us are disagreeing with. Of course, James correctly holds that faith that IS faith is active. This is also the Lutheran position (see post #55 where I share the classic quote from Luther). But I disagree that James is defending the heresy of Pelagianism and that James is insisting that the saving object of faith is Christ AND self, who/what Christ is/did plus also what SELF is/does. I'm rejecting the point that James is insisting that faith in Christ is meaningless and can't save. Read my posts here. My position has (expectedly) caused a storm.

Lutheranism does not even ATTEMPT to explain the "how" in all this, we call this a "MYSTERY" and refer to the MIRACLE of justification. Obviously, there are some Scriptures on his hard to "fit" together - and so we don't. BUT (and here's the whole enchilada - the whole Reformation debate) we embrace that Jesus is the Savior..... that the Holy Spirit is the Lord and GIVER of life... that salvation is something God does. It is NOT a case that FIRST the dead, atheistic sinner performs works God regards as good - and THEN, as a reward, God gives spiritual life, faith in Christ and the Holy Spirit. It is NOT a case that FIRST the dead, atheistic sinner is OBEDIENT to God can then God, as the just response, gives them spiritual life, faith in Christ and the Holy Spriit. It is NOT a case that FIRST the person proclaims that Jesus is Lord and THEN as a just response God gives them the free gift of faith, the Holy Spirit and spiritual life. While there is must mystery here, justification is NOT the result of self saving self by being obedient to the Law and the Commands of God...... it seems undeniable that FIRST God operates in our lives (the dynamics of this unknown).... ultimately Jesus is the Savior. Not PART Savior (the part that actually doesn't save anyone), not just a possibility-maker, not just an offeror - but SAVIOR. Yes, once we HAVE spiritual life, HAVE faith in Christ, HAVE the Holy Spirit (all of which Scripture calls a GIFT, never a reward) - THEN we have a whole new reality, and a LOT of things come into play - all things Protestants and Catholics agree on, but that's not the debate. Not in the Reformation. Not in this thread. Not ever at CH. THAT discussion lasts about 3 posts beause everyone agrees - the discussions that go on for pages is justification - the COMING of the gifts of spiritual life, faith in Christ, the Holy Spirit. Is Jesus ALONE the Savior (and thus faith ALONE in Him) or is the Savior at least in part self? Are we to look to the Cross or the mirror. Friend, that's the issue. I've given the Protestant view and it always creates a hailstorm (gotta wonder why if there is not profound disagreement on their part)

Arsenios BEGINS with the OBEDIENCE of dead self, obedience to the Law by the dead atheist BEFORE justification (narrow), BEFORE God enters the picture, BEFORE there is any Holy spirit, any life, any faith. His position is it all hinges on dead man's obedience and good works (all a reward for that) BEFORE the Holy Spirit comes to him, BEFORE he has faith, BEFORE he has spiritual life, that God justly rewards the obedience and good works of the dead man with justification. But how does that line up with the following:

1 Corinthians 2:14, "the one without the Holy Spirit does not accept the things of the Spirit."

1 Corinthians 12:3, "No one is capable of saying 'Jesus is Lord' without the Holy Spirit."

Hebrews 11:6, "Without faith it is impossible to please God."

Ephesians 2:1 "You were dead in sin."

Ephesians 2:8, "for by grace you have been saved because of faith and this is not your own doing but is the gift of God."

Creed: "The Holy Spirit is the Lord and Giver of life"

And YET - the claim is that people.... without faith, without the Holy Spirit, without spiritual life.... BEFORE these things come..... VOID of these things..... does something pleasing to God (obedience... works.... requesting.... all without faith, without the Holy Spirit. How is it that one without faith nonetheless does a work that is pleasing to God (which God says is "impossible")? How does one without faith and the Holy Spirit nonetheless proclaim Jesus is Lord (which God says is he "cannot")? How is it that Jesus is the Savior BUT His works don't save UNLESS the dead atheistic sinner joins his good works to them? Doesn't that at least make self PART Savior? f we are justified, as is the claim of a couple here, because we FIRST earned it by our obedience, by the good works the dead one does, then Galatians 2:16 and Galatians 2:21 seem not true....

Friend, IF our Catholic and Orthodox friends were saying, "I won't delve into this or explain this - but I agree with Luther, Jesus (alone) IS THE Savior and in no way is self" Okay (welcome to Lutheranism!). Or if they said, "you are 100% correct that Jesus alone is the Savior and faith in Christ alone is saving - but it's critical to note that such faith is active in good works and loving serving to others, and being justified brings a set of BIG calls! Well, great! Welcome to Lutheranism! But when when we post things - we get a hailstorm of debate, post after post of rejection. Should make you think, my friend.

There's a constant absurd assumption that runs through all these threads, too: If God commands, dead people ERGO they have the full ability to achieve it - NO Holy Spirit is needed, NO faith is needed, NO spiritual life is needed (because again, you insist that justification is dependent on one FIRST heeding the will of God - justification is dependent on FIRST fully obeying the Call of God. Think about that. The whole argument is God calls ALL to repentance and faith - ERGO they MUST have the full ability to do just as God wills. Hum......

Well... then there would be no need for Jesus, would there? All God would need to do is command "Be yourselves saved" (could have saved himself a lot of trouble).... All would be fully able to be perfect even as God is perfect and to love all has Christ loved because all can respond to God's calls WITHOUT God doing a thing except issuing the command. Your assumption is absurd. Yes, God calls all the repentance and faith - but it is illogical (and unbiblical) to insist ERGO any one can obey - no need for God at all. At least Pelagius and the Jews and the Muslims give SOME role for God! You just have PURE LAW and dead man all on his own. Your insistence that FIRST comes our good works, our obedience THEN God rewards that with life, faith, and the Holy Spirit is absurd. You are imposing an absurd assumption into some verses.... God commands all to choose life, too: does that mean I asked for life and God gave it to me as a reward 9 months before I was born? Come on...

This is not semantics. All Christianity hinges on the issue of Jesus as the Savior. There is MUCH mystery here.... and mush agreeing in soteriology (at least the sanctification part) but this much is certain: JESUS (alone) IS (factually) THE (one and only, fully, and all-sufficient) SAVIOR (not just enabler or possibility-maker or offerer). Those who insist that ACTUALLY it's Jesus + me...... who resurrect the ancient heresy of Pelagianism or worse (sometimes, much worse) are dangerous and should be helped. Defining the context (Justification - the coming of life, faith, Holy Spirit - the changed relationship OR Sanctification - the life of the Christian....... Law or Gospel) helps a lot. It pains me that an issue SO simple, SO important is often so entanged, so confused, so twisted. Especially the very issue on which Christianity is founded.

I hope that helps....

- Josiah

Last edited:

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
HERE'S a thought, instead of saying Can faith save him, how about switching it up and asking Can Jesus save him? Jesus doesn't seem to be quite enough with some of y'all.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
HERE'S a thought, instead of saying Can faith save him, how about switching it up and asking Can Jesus save him? Jesus doesn't seem to be quite enough with some of y'all.

Absolutely right - God alone gives the Gift of Salvation...

Not God's works...

Not our works...

God Himself...

The Life of Christ, if we make His Life ours by obedience to Him, is our New Life...
Because...
THAT is HOW Christ set up His Household of Salvation...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Arsenios, until you grasp the difference in baptism before the cross and after the cross...you will live in your confusion.
The Holy Spirit baptizes us into Christ Jesus. Jesus told us he was sending the Holy Spirit. The Spirit has come. He baptizes us into Christ Jesus and he counsels us in Christ Jesus.
I believe it is your misunderstanding in this area that leads you to your works salvation that will not save you.

Have you found some place in Scripture that describes Baptism before vs Baptism after the Crucifixion?

Christ Himself established His Baptism prior to His Crucifixion...

Peter Baptized Cornelius into Christ AFTER the descent of the Holy Spirit upon his party of Gentiles...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
This is not semantics.
All Christianity hinges on the issue of Jesus as the Savior.
There is MUCH mystery here....
JESUS (alone) IS (factually) THE (one and only, fully, and all-sufficient) SAVIOR (not just enabler or possibility-maker or offerer).

Jesus does not save all...

The Call of God is unto repentance...
Which Calling is unto Justification by God...
Which Justification is unto Glorification by God...

Not all obey the commandment of the Gospel unto repentance...

Arsenios

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Have you found some place in Scripture that describes Baptism before vs Baptism after the Crucifixion?

Christ Himself established His Baptism prior to His Crucifixion...

Peter Baptized Cornelius into Christ AFTER the descent of the Holy Spirit upon his party of Gentiles...

Arsenios
I provided over 30 verses, Arsenios. Look at them and observe the differences. Not every water baptism in the Bible is the same symbol.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

@TurleHare;

... because the "debate" is whether that faith is to be in Christ or in self (or perhaps partly in Christ and partly in self). EVERYONE agrees with James and Luther that faith that IS faith is active, loving, serving, busy.. filled with works toward others. The "debate" here is whether faith IN CHRIST saves because Christ is the Savior or whether such does NOT save because Christ alone is insufficient, we must add faith in OUR works.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We have to ask that we receive because we cannot EARN the Gift of God that God IS...

When you make up your mind, let us know.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes

The Gift IS God Himself, and NO creation can EVER earn the UNcreated God...

Arsenios

Second point first - a gift is truly unearned, amen, certainly the UNcreated God.

And such a wonderful gift He gives of Himself, freely, without merit or asking.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Sola Fide is "Trick Words"???

D'Accord!!

Arsenios

Not just trick words. Sola Fide is deception. Sola Fide misleads - if it were possible - the very elect.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
And such a wonderful gift He gives of Himself, freely, without ... asking.

Luke 11:9
And I say unto you,
Ask, and it shall be given you;
Seek, and ye shall find;
Knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Christ seems to command otherwise...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Not just trick words. Sola Fide is deception. Sola Fide misleads - if it were possible - the very elect.

"Faith alone, but faith is never alone..."

Josiah's very words...

He believes in faith alone and in the same breath denies its existence...

Arsenios

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Josiah's very words...

Arsenios

Faith without good works clearly does exist, the holy scriptures bear witness to it. But the theology of many Protestants denies it or introduces concepts like "real faith" (aka "true faith") to juxtapose next to "false faith" or "mere belief". The concepts are foreign to holy scripture.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Josiah's very words...

Absurd.

You are just clinging to a silly assumption
: that if two things are associated they are mandated to have the same function. Several of us have noted this laughable assumption but you always ignore it.

Yes, salvic faith is joined with our good works.... Read post #55, THAT is the Protestant view.
What we reject is that because faith in Christ's works is salvic, ERGO faith in our own works toward others must also be salvic. THAT is the silly, laughable point we reject.

I never denied that faith doesn't exist..... as everyone knows.... your accusation is of course wrong.

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Luke 11:9
And I say unto you,
Ask, and it shall be given you;
Seek, and ye shall find;
Knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Christ seems to command otherwise...

Arsenios

Your silly assumption that if God wills something, ergo the dead atheist MUST be able to do it. God tells us to choose life, but it's silly to insist that 9 months before I was born, I had to respond to this call to choose life before God could bless me with life. God calls on all to be perfect even as He is perfect, but if your absurd assumption was true then there would be no need for a Savior because every dead atheistic sinner can just cause himself to be perfect (no need for God, no need for the Savior, no need for the Holy Spirit, no need for faith - because you insist that if God wills something, all have the full ability to respond to it. It's silly. This has been pointed out by several but you always ignore it.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Faith in Christ's works is salvic,

We prefer to say that Faith in Christ is Salvific...

And this because we do not believe in Salvation by works...

Salvation is by the Person Who is God, Jesus Christ...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Your silly assumption that if God wills something, ergo the dead atheist MUST be able to do it. God tells us to choose life, but it's silly to insist that 9 months before I was born, I had to respond to this call to choose life before God could bless me with life. God calls on all to be perfect even as He is perfect, but if your absurd assumption was true then there would be no need for a Savior because every dead atheistic sinner can just cause himself to be perfect (no need for God, no need for the Savior, no need for the Holy Spirit, no need for faith - because you insist that if God wills something, all have the full ability to respond to it. It's silly. This has been pointed out by several but you always ignore it.

Your glue appears to be melting...
Wounded by the Fallacy of the False Alternative...

Because Adam turned away from and disobeyed the unincarnate God and died...
Those in Adam must turn toward God in obedience to Christ-God to gain Life...

God took Adam's disobedient life...
God restores our obedient life...

God does not command you to do that which you cannot do...
Fallen man can turn from evil...
His corpse cannot...

Fallen man is not a corpse, as you so ardently have faith in believing...
Learning the difference is a good thing I heartily recommend to you...

Arsenios

Last edited:
Top Bottom