Mental Health: Did you ever experience this"?

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I hadn't chatted by email with my sister for a few weeks. I am always afraid when I get her emails as they are always incessant complaining with no end in sight or very ambiguous, meaning who knows what she means.

She started telling me about age spots and then about her new job. I guessed that she was having problems due to her age and being afraid of looking older. I wrote her an email on tips for age spots as she calls them and also tried to be helpful about her relationship with the manager. She said managers like the young people. I thought well, that's good, I hope they like everyone. She then said even my brother knows that managers don't like workers over 50. I wrote back and said that I don't think it's a good idea to think all managers are out to get people over 50 and just be herself as she is and just be kind to everyone as she is. I told her that not all managers are alike and there are some who would appreciate the skills of an older worker. I really intended to be helpful and said not all people are ageist and there are still good people in this world.

I got an email back that was fire and brimstone. First she said she didn't need any help with age spots, it doesn't work. She told me that I had no right to say anything about managers because I had no experience and did not know what I was talking about, that she has 30 years in the workforce, that she had sued a company for ageist reasons and won, and that I should try going to work for a manager and see what happens to me.

There was a bit more she said but it was insulting to me.

This was just a big vent because I felt hurt and am sick of getting this treatment from her for the past 60 years, put downs, insults, demeaning. Besides all I've wrote I really love my sister and try to act out of love for her and concern for her well-being.

Last edited:

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I hadn't chatted by email with my sister for a few weeks. I am always afraid when I get her emails as they are always incessant complaining with no end in sight or very ambiguous, meaning who knows what she means.

She started telling me about age spots and then about her new job. I guessed that she was having problems due to her age and being afraid of looking older. I wrote her an email on tips for age spots as she calls them and also tried to be helpful about her relationship with the manager. She said managers like the young people. I thought well, that's good, I hope they like everyone. She then said even my brother knows that managers don't like workers over 50. I wrote back and said that I don't think it's a good idea to think all managers are out to get people over 50 and just be herself as she is and just be kind to everyone as she is. I told her that not all managers are alike and there are some who would appreciate the skills of an older worker. I really intended to be helpful and said not all people are ageist and there are still good people in this world.

I got an email back that was fire and brimstone. First she said she didn't need any help with age spots, it doesn't work. She told me that I had no right to say anything about managers because I had no experience and did not know what I was talking about, that she has 30 years in the workforce, that she had sued a company for ageist reasons and won, and that I should try going to work for a manager and see what happens to me.

There was a bit more she said but it was insulting to me.

This was just a big vent because I felt hurt and am sick of getting this treatment from her for the past 60 years, put downs, insults, demeaning. Besides all I've wrote I really love my sister and try to act out of love for her and concern for her well-being.

You put these comments in the mental health section, so I'm wondering if she has some type of mental health diagnosis? Sometimes people with things like bipolar can be difficult to deal with because you never know if they are going to be up or down in their mood

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Your sister lumped all managers into one group and wanted you to tell her she was right. Except she is wrong. And of course you know that since you tried to reason it out with her. Does she always expect that she is right and never takes correction? Does she have narcissistic traits?

It's difficult dealing with someone who complains about everything as you said she does. Then when you try to give some positive advice it's shot down. That's hard to take.

I'm glad you said that you still love her even when she does these things. :)

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
You put these comments in the mental health section, so I'm wondering if she has some type of mental health diagnosis? Sometimes people with things like bipolar can be difficult to deal with because you never know if they are going to be up or down in their mood
Well, she has not gotten a diagnosis but there is something awry with her.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Your sister lumped all managers into one group and wanted you to tell her she was right. Except she is wrong. And of course you know that since you tried to reason it out with her. Does she always expect that she is right and never takes correction? Does she have narcissistic traits?

It's difficult dealing with someone who complains about everything as you said she does. Then when you try to give some positive advice it's shot down. That's hard to take.

I'm glad you said that you still love her even when she does these things. :)
Yes, I love her. She can be very hurtful and does not seem to care.

Top Bottom