Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I am taking this class now at church with some men called "Every Man a Warrior". there is a strong emphasis in the material on having quiet times and also scripture memory. A different verse or verses are memorized each week. The author talks about that one of the greatest ways to learn something is through meditation and memorization, not lecture. This is due to the fact that so much of what a preacher talks about is forgotten soon after the sermon.

So, my question is how important do you think memorizing scripture really is and do you have a systematic way of doing that and if so what do you do?
http://everymanawarrior.com/

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Memorizing scripture is good because it keeps God's Word within us to recall easily. I had to memorize a lot of scripture for a bible class I took years ago and we used flash cards. One thing our pastor wanted us to know that even though we would forget a lot of what we learned, we would still have an idea of where in the bible we could find what we wanted by taking that class. He was right.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Memorizing scripture is good because it keeps God's Word within us to recall easily. I had to memorize a lot of scripture for a bible class I took years ago and we used flash cards. One thing our pastor wanted us to know that even though we would forget a lot of what we learned, we would still have an idea of where in the bible we could find what we wanted by taking that class. He was right.

The only previous time when I saw it emphasized was when I worked as a adult leader in a group called AWANA, which works with kids. I'm not sure that I am benefiting from the group much and now with work load picking up and my second job getting busier I have thought about dropping out of the class. I worked until 9 pm last night and it was my anniversary

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I believe rote memory is an effective learning tool. How many verses do they have you memorize each week do you think? We had to learn about 20 for my class plus picture memory of illustrations. It was an intense class.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
We end up memorizing a fair amount of Scripture... In olden times, when illiteracy spawned great memories, one could not become a Bishop without being able to recite the entire Book of Psalms from memory - In Greek. And there are many in the Orthodox Faith who to this day have the Services memorized, and some the Psalter as well...

But the means of memorization is repetition in Services - So that the Psalter becomes memorized by its being prayed in its entirety on a weekly basis... As it is prayed in monastic communities... For myself, I memorized psalm 50 [51] in the Protestant Bibles] simply to be able to pray it without reading it, and I pray it pretty much every day... And it is the repetition that really counts across time, the daily discipline of the prayers in Services and in private, as one progresses through time in active confession and repentance... Praying when one does not feel like praying is a wonderful thing to do... Because the part of you, the opposition of you, the Old Man of you, that hates both prayer and discipline in prayer, needs to be disrupted and overcome that you grow in Christ...

The problem with memorization is that it is so easily converted into pride...

But using memorized verses in the discipline of prayer every day without fail does much to break down pride, yet can lead to its own pride... So the Way is indeed narrow and obstructed... For our daily prayers need pain of heart as well, and who among us prays nightly with tears for all...? Who among us even knows how to pray in this manner?

The Psalter is the Great and Prophetic Prayer Book of the Bible...

Arsenios

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I believe rote memory is an effective learning tool. How many verses do they have you memorize each week do you think? We had to learn about 20 for my class plus picture memory of illustrations. It was an intense class.

The class just has one or two verses a week. there are three books with about 9 lessons each in them

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The class just has one or two verses a week. there are three books with about 9 lessons each in them

That isn't too bad, 2-3 verses per week. You would probably pick those up on the way each week anyway through readings and the studies pertaining to the verses?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I know many verses off the top of my head.... problem is, I seldom remember the reference! So, I'll say "Hezekiah _______" Hezekiah SOUNDS like it would be a Book of the Bible anyway....

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I know many verses off the top of my head.... problem is, I seldom remember the reference! So, I'll say "Hezekiah _______" Hezekiah SOUNDS like it would be a Book of the Bible anyway....

Hezekiah was a good king...it's just that he paved the way for the Babylon captivity with his ecumenical ideals.

I think a lot of us can sit in church and if the pastor starts to speak a verse we can finish it or at least know the parts.

Top Bottom