• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 129

    Christian Theology - Thread: Would I be admitted?

    1. #1
      ImaginaryDay2's Avatar
      ImaginaryDay2 is offline Expert Member
      Supporting Member
      50
      O Lord, You keep safe both man
      and animal.
       
      Mood:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2,879
      Country
      Canada
      CH Cash
      218,567
      CH Challenge
      53
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,693 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      17,507
      Level
      37
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      68.76%
      Rep Power
      482

      Would I be admitted?

      A true scenario:
      My parents had me baptised as an infant in the Presbyterian church (PCUSA), obviously without my "consent". This was "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit". I was not submerged in a pool, but rather sprinkled or some such method. I was (at some point) "confirmed" and made a member, albeit a pretty poor one.

      Years later, I was baptised again, as I became convinced by some rather zealous Pentecostals that the first one didn't count. I was fully immersed, however this was done "in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins", rather than a Trinitarian formula, as these good folks denied Trinitarian doctrine.

      Question - given these facts, would I be welcome into membership and be able to commune with churches that are part of most mainline Baptist conventions (e.g. SBC)?
      I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide...
      But I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride..
      - Dream Theater

    2. #2
      MoreCoffee's Avatar
      MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Girding loins for the battle.
       
      Mood:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      16,050
      CH Cash
      19,942
      CH Challenge
      695
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      43,337
      Level
      54
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      11.7%
      Rep Power
      674
      Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryDay2 View Post
      A true scenario:
      My parents had me baptised as an infant in the Presbyterian church (PCUSA), obviously without my "consent". This was "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit". I was not submerged in a pool, but rather sprinkled or some such method. I was (at some point) "confirmed" and made a member, albeit a pretty poor one.

      Years later, I was baptised again, as I became convinced by some rather zealous Pentecostals that the first one didn't count. I was fully immersed, however this was done "in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins", rather than a Trinitarian formula, as these good folks denied Trinitarian doctrine.

      Question - given these facts, would I be welcome into membership and be able to commune with churches that are part of most mainline Baptist conventions (e.g. SBC)?
      My guess is no because your baptism was infant baptism and the other thing, the oneness Pentecostal baptism isn't Trinitarian so both "don't count" and you'd need to be baptised again.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

      He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

    3. #3
      MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      3,953
      CH Cash
      16,647
      CH Challenge
      232
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      16,121
      Level
      36
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      42.51%
      Rep Power
      414
      Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryDay2 View Post
      A true scenario:
      My parents had me baptised as an infant in the Presbyterian church (PCUSA), obviously without my "consent". This was "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit". I was not submerged in a pool, but rather sprinkled or some such method. I was (at some point) "confirmed" and made a member, albeit a pretty poor one.

      Years later, I was baptised again, as I became convinced by some rather zealous Pentecostals that the first one didn't count. I was fully immersed, however this was done "in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins", rather than a Trinitarian formula, as these good folks denied Trinitarian doctrine.

      Question - given these facts, would I be welcome into membership and be able to commune with churches that are part of most mainline Baptist conventions (e.g. SBC)?
      What do you receive from scripture regarding this inquiry?
      In my church the deaconate would listen to your testimony and vote on membership. We would consider whether you were saved and whether the baptism you had truly expressed the reality of you being immersed into Christ. If your baptism by a cult bothered you and you doubt its authenticity then we would consider a rebaptism (anabaptist). If you considered it genuine we would likely consider it genuine as well.

    4. Likes ImaginaryDay2 liked this post
    5. #4
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      15,908
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      199,647
      CH Challenge
      83
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (154,798 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      192,416
      Level
      91
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      87.88%
      Rep Power
      814
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      What do you receive from scripture regarding this inquiry?
      In my church the deaconate would listen to your testimony and vote on membership. We would consider whether you were saved and whether the baptism you had truly expressed the reality of you being immersed into Christ. If your baptism by a cult bothered you and you doubt its authenticity then we would consider a rebaptism (anabaptist). If you considered it genuine we would likely consider it genuine as well.
      A trinitarian baptism is not required by Baptists? I was always told differently.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    6. #5
      MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      3,953
      CH Cash
      16,647
      CH Challenge
      232
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      16,121
      Level
      36
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      42.51%
      Rep Power
      414
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      A trinitarian baptism is not required by Baptists? I was always told differently.
      There are different denominations of Baptists. Others may decide differently. I cannot speak for them.
      Would a Wisconsin Synod Lutheran Church accept a baptism from another denominations?

    7. #6
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      15,908
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      199,647
      CH Challenge
      83
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (154,798 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      192,416
      Level
      91
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      87.88%
      Rep Power
      814
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      There are different denominations of Baptists. Others may decide differently. I cannot speak for them.
      Would a Wisconsin Synod Lutheran Church accept a baptism from another denominations?
      Here is what the WELS website states: https://wels.net/faq/need-to-be-baptized-again/

      If I was raised and baptized in a Baptist church and switched to a WELS church, would I need to get baptized again? The reason I'm asking is because I know that Lutherans have a different belief on baptism and how it works.

      There would not be a need to be baptized again. While Baptist theology misunderstands the purpose and blessings of baptism, the baptism of such churches is a valid baptism. Water is applied in the name of the Triune God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. That constitutes a valid baptism.

      What would be necessary to join one of our congregations is to attend and complete a course of Bible information classes. Upon completion of the classes and, God willing, your profession that the information presented is what Scripture teaches, you would be confirmed as an adult. That would establish your membership in one of our congregations.

      God guide and bless your study of his word!
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    8. Likes MennoSota, ImaginaryDay2 liked this post
    9. #7
      ImaginaryDay2's Avatar
      ImaginaryDay2 is offline Expert Member
      Supporting Member
      50
      O Lord, You keep safe both man
      and animal.
       
      Mood:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2,879
      Country
      Canada
      CH Cash
      218,567
      CH Challenge
      53
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,693 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      17,507
      Level
      37
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      68.76%
      Rep Power
      482
      Interesting responses. I was curious because of the mention of baptism and its purpose in another thread, but was thinking a bit more globally about it afterward. The Lutheran church I joined had no issue as it considered my infant baptism valid. I'm not sure how they would consider my adult baptism without a Trinitarian formula. It was not considered symbolic, but "regenerative" - being "baptized into Christ" or "putting on Christ" as it were. I know some would disagree with that - I don't. However, I would (now) consider it invalid because of the Trinitarian issue. My infant baptism I consider completely valid. So that would probably present many issues with certain churches/denoms, not just Baptist.
      I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide...
      But I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride..
      - Dream Theater

    10. #8
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2,749
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      4,569
      CH Challenge
      84
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      15,146
      Level
      35
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      49.53%
      Rep Power
      427
      Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryDay2 View Post
      A true scenario:
      My parents had me baptised as an infant in the Presbyterian church (PCUSA), obviously without my "consent". This was "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit". I was not submerged in a pool, but rather sprinkled or some such method. I was (at some point) "confirmed" and made a member, albeit a pretty poor one.

      Years later, I was baptised again, as I became convinced by some rather zealous Pentecostals that the first one didn't count. I was fully immersed, however this was done "in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins", rather than a Trinitarian formula, as these good folks denied Trinitarian doctrine.

      Question - given these facts, would I be welcome into membership and be able to commune with churches that are part of most mainline Baptist conventions (e.g. SBC)?
      It largely depends on what the by laws of that individual church says. If it is specific that the baptism has to be immersion and in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit then no. I think you would find that most larger Baptist churches are just gonna be glad you joined and not be that picky about it though. Not all Baptist are the same and even though I have been technically a member of a baptist church for over 33 years I cannot generalize and say all Baptist churches would grant you membership. If you have a specific church in mind then I would ask that pastor if you specifically have to be immersed. When I switched from Methodist to Baptist I was baptized by immersion after I joined the Baptist church, but nobody told me I had to
      They would allow you to take part in the Lord's Supper though as most observe open communion

    11. #9
      MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      3,953
      CH Cash
      16,647
      CH Challenge
      232
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      16,121
      Level
      36
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      42.51%
      Rep Power
      414
      Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryDay2 View Post
      Interesting responses. I was curious because of the mention of baptism and its purpose in another thread, but was thinking a bit more globally about it afterward. The Lutheran church I joined had no issue as it considered my infant baptism valid. I'm not sure how they would consider my adult baptism without a Trinitarian formula. It was not considered symbolic, but "regenerative" - being "baptized into Christ" or "putting on Christ" as it were. I know some would disagree with that - I don't. However, I would (now) consider it invalid because of the Trinitarian issue. My infant baptism I consider completely valid. So that would probably present many issues with certain churches/denoms, not just Baptist.
      It depends on if one believes their infant baptism saved them and set them as an adopted child of God.
      The utter lack of any infant baptism anywhere in scripture should give us pause in this regard.
      We are children of the promise. Our being chosen is along the path of Abraham, not by virtue of a water sprinkle at a church somewhere.

    12. #10
      ImaginaryDay2's Avatar
      ImaginaryDay2 is offline Expert Member
      Supporting Member
      50
      O Lord, You keep safe both man
      and animal.
       
      Mood:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2,879
      Country
      Canada
      CH Cash
      218,567
      CH Challenge
      53
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,693 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      17,507
      Level
      37
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      68.76%
      Rep Power
      482
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      It depends on if one believes their infant baptism saved them and set them as an adopted child of God.
      Which I do, and would probably set me apart from many Baptist (and most Anabaptist) denoms

      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      The utter lack of any infant baptism anywhere in scripture should give us pause in this regard.
      I understand that. However, studying the issue apart from direct reference brought me to the conclusion that it did, in fact, happen

      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      We are children of the promise. Our being chosen is along the path of Abraham, not by virtue of a water sprinkle at a church somewhere.
      And I agree. There is nothing special about the water, but in the obedience to the commandment, where God extends His grace to us. I fully understand this does not align with your views (or how you view scripture on the matter)
      I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide...
      But I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride..
      - Dream Theater

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •