CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      7.33%

Kavanaugh has an accuser

(CNN)Brett Kavanaugh's accuser now has a name, and the Republican Party's bid to swiftly lift him onto the Supreme Court seems to be spinning out of control.
      The emergence of California professor Christine Blasey Ford, and her willingness to testify to Congress about the allegations, unleashed a frenetic sequence of events Monday that threatened to unravel the confirmation process of President Donald Trump's nominee, who had seemed on a smooth glide path to becoming the man to enshrine a conservative majority for a generation.
      Democrats demanded that Kavanaugh's confirmation process should be put on hold pending an investigation. A planned vote in the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday on the nomination now appears to be at risk of slipping.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/17/polit...ion/index.html

Is this going to destroy Kavanaugh's chance at the Supreme Court?

Albion is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Challenge
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      22.56%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      (CNN)Brett Kavanaugh's accuser now has a name, and the Republican Party's bid to swiftly lift him onto the Supreme Court seems to be spinning out of control.
      The emergence of California professor Christine Blasey Ford, and her willingness to testify to Congress about the allegations, unleashed a frenetic sequence of events Monday that threatened to unravel the confirmation process of President Donald Trump's nominee, who had seemed on a smooth glide path to becoming the man to enshrine a conservative majority for a generation.
      Democrats demanded that Kavanaugh's confirmation process should be put on hold pending an investigation. A planned vote in the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday on the nomination now appears to be at risk of slipping.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/17/polit...ion/index.html

Is this going to destroy Kavanaugh's chance at the Supreme Court?
      I don't know why it should. The attempt to derail him (delay until after the election is more like it) is obviously a desperation move by the Dems and has no evidence behind it. But if some Senators who have been wavering are looking for an excuse, valid or not, then they might vote against him and hide behind this claim. I don't know if the ones facing reelection this fall could get away with that, however, since they would risk looking even more craven than usual to the voters.

psalms 91 is online now Silver Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Challenge
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (4,158,001 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      10.33%
      As one with an open mind on these issues I would say look into it and then make a decision. All these others who have been blamed in many cases were gone before there was much of anything done and I will tell you I dont agree with going back 30 and 40 years. How do you defend something like that? The problem nowadays is that anything that is said is automatically believed without much of an investigation and in many cases it is a he said she said thing. I thought in this country it was innocent until proven guilty, proven being the operative word. I am sure this will not be well received but it is how I feel about this issue.
      Isaiah 40:31

Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Challenge
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      22.56%
      If that is the way chosen, the issue will be quickly disposed of since, as I noted before, there is absolutely no evidence yet to support her story. But because that is so, I would say to anticipate that the Dems will produce OTHER accusers and then conclude that where there is phony smoke, there must be real fire.

ImaginaryDay2 is offline Expert Member
      Supporting Member
      O Lord, You keep safe both man
      and animal.

Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      Canada
      CH Challenge
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,693 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      98.49%
      Of course it should be investigated now that something has come to light, but it's a Democrat cheap-shot. Sen. Feinstein has had this since July. And now this person feels a "civic responsibility"? We'll see what comes of it
      I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide...
      But I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride..
      - Dream Theater

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Challenge
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (177,112 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      24.72%
      They were both teenagers (under age) and she said he was drunk and she can't remember any other details about the location or why she was there. My guess is she was drunk too. She initially said there were 4 guys in the room and now has said there were only 2. But she passed a lie detector test. What were the questions on it? How did a 15 year old girl "escape" 4 teenaged boys who were trying to rip her clothes off? It doesn't make sense and there are missing pieces that suggest she most likely said No and he stopped...if it happened. If he was too drunk of course he might not remember the incident.

Now almost 40 years later should he be punished by not getting the position he was nominated for? My feeling is no. These ladies who wait decades are not helping society by doing their civic duty...it should have happened sooner.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

MoreCoffee is online now Gold Member
      Fading awa...

Mood:
      Secret

Country
      Vatican
      CH Challenge
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      59.28%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      They were both teenagers (under age) and she said he was drunk and she can't remember any other details about the location or why she was there. My guess is she was drunk too. She initially said there were 4 guys in the room and now has said there were only 2. But she passed a lie detector test. What were the questions on it? How did a 15 year old girl "escape" 4 teenaged boys who were trying to rip her clothes off? It doesn't make sense and there are missing pieces that suggest she most likely said No and he stopped...if it happened. If he was too drunk of course he might not remember the incident.

Now almost 40 years later should he be punished by not getting the position he was nominated for? My feeling is no. These ladies who wait decades are not helping society by doing their civic duty...it should have happened sooner.
      The statute of limitations protects him from punishment under the law. The issue now is one of character and truthfulness. The question that the issue impinges upon is appointment to a life long job as a member of the SCOTUS.
      Saint Jude, author of the new testament letter.

He is the patron of impossible causes because the scriptural Letter of St. Jude, which he authored, urges Christians to persevere in difficult times.

Hidden Content

Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Challenge
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (177,112 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      24.72%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      The statute of limitations protects him from punishment under the law. The issue now is one of character and truthfulness. The question that the issue impinges upon is appointment to a life long job as a member of the SCOTUS.
      Well I did say punished by not getting the position.

How do we determine a middle aged man's character by looking at his action as a 17 year old whose brain is not fully developed into maturity? A 15 year old girl who can't remember details was pawed at by a teenaged boy. How in the world does that prevent a middle aged man from getting to the supreme court? It shouldn't.
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Challenge
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      22.56%
      I was listening to a newsperson on TV today who made two claims that I thought are typical and certain to be used by Sen. Diane Feinstein (Who did not get the endorsement of her own party for re-election and so must pull some sensational rabbit out of her hat before November in order to prove herself to be sufficiently loyal to the Party)--

1. We should trust women to be telling the truth, even if it is just one.

However, the accuser of the Lacrosse team at Duke University was proven to have made it all up. And the woman who accused the fraternity at the University of Virginia of raping her was shown to have made it all up, too.

2. What would this woman professor have to gain by lying about Kavanagh?

Well, she is an outspoken leftwing extremist, contributor to the Democratic Party, voluminous contributor of political rhetoric on social media sites, and participant in the anti-Trump Woman's March on Washington last year in which she was one of those who wore a so-called puss* hat. If she is fervent about her political views and opposition to the President, as many students of hers have said is the case, then of course she would be willing to step up for the Party at this time.

Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Challenge
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (177,112 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      24.72%
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
      I was listening to a newsperson on TV today who made two claims that I thought are typical and certain to be used by Sen. Diane Feinstein (Who did not get the endorsement of her own party for re-election and so must pull some sensational rabbit out of her hat before November in order to prove herself to be sufficiently loyal to the Party)--

1. We should trust women to be telling the truth, even if it is just one.

However, the accuser of the Lacrosse team at Duke University was proven to have made it all up. And the woman who accused the fraternity at the University of Virginia of raping her was shown to have made it all up, too.

2. What would this woman professor have to gain by lying about Kavanagh?

Well, she is an outspoken leftwing extremist, contributor to the Democratic Party, voluminous contributor of political rhetoric on social media sites, and participant in the anti-Trump Woman's March on Washington last year in which she was one of those who wore a so-called puss* hat. If she is fervent about her political views and opposition to the President, as many students of hers have said is the case, then of course she would be willing to step up for the Party at this time.
      So innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply anymore in our country?

I have great empathy for women who have suffered unwanted sexual advances...having experienced some things myself (not rape and not as extreme as what this lady had to go through). But we can't immediately place guilt upon someone according to the laws of our country and it seems that times have changed and now we must believe every accuser or we're heartless? No.