What does it mean?

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
The truth is neither an opinion nor in need of permission to be expressed in CH. The truth is that God judges, according to each one’s deeds.
The truth is that the deeds of the elect have been judged already in the sacrificial death of God the Son. Our justification and sanctification is found solely in Christ and in Christ alone.
The truth is that your statement needs no Savior because you depend on your own works, which God says "fall short of the glory of God."
Turn from your Judaiser message, MC. It offers no hope for salvation.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The truth is that the deeds of the elect have been judged already in the sacrificial death of God the Son. Our justification and sanctification is found solely in Christ and in Christ alone.
The truth is that your statement needs no Savior because you depend on your own works, which God says "fall short of the glory of God."
Turn from your Judaiser message, MC. It offers no hope for salvation.

Jesus said "When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left. Then the King will say to those at his right hand, 'Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?' And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.' Then he will say to those at his left hand, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' Then they also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?' Then he will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.' And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." Matthew 25:31-46

Jesus never judaised and was never a Judaiser. Yet you complain against his teaching. Shame ought to be the response of anyone who speaks that way of Christ's teaching.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said "When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left. Then the King will say to those at his right hand, 'Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?' And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.' Then he will say to those at his left hand, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' Then they also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?' Then he will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.' And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." Matthew 25:31-46

Jesus never judaised and was never a Judaiser. Yet you complain against his teaching. Shame ought to be the response of anyone who speaks that way of Christ's teaching.
Yet, you are a Judaiser teaching works unto salvation.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Yet, you are a Judaiser teaching works unto salvation.

Shame on you for condemning Jesus's words which God gives to encourage and enlighten the faithful. You reject the good and take the spoiled and corrupt. It is pitiable to see.

The faithful know their Master's voice, hear it, and follow him - "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch of mine that bears no fruit, he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already made clean by the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If a man does not abide in me, he is cast forth as a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide; so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. This I command you, to love one another. John 15:1-17

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Shame on you for condemning Jesus's words which God gives to encourage and enlighten the faithful. You reject the good and take the spoiled and corrupt. It is pitiable to see.

The faithful know their Master's voice, hear it, and follow him - "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch of mine that bears no fruit, he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already made clean by the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If a man does not abide in me, he is cast forth as a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide; so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. This I command you, to love one another. John 15:1-17
I never condemn Jesus words. I condemn your works salvation, which is never taught in scripture.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I never condemn Jesus words. I condemn your works salvation, which is never taught in scripture.
Since the posts that you condemn are almost entirely the words of the Lord Jesus Christ it follows that you condemned his words.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Since the posts that you condemn are almost entirely the words of the Lord Jesus Christ it follows that you condemned his words.
No it doesn't follow. Satan used God's word. When we condemn Satan's use of God's word, we don't, by proxy, condemn God's word. Nor, when I condemn your use of God's word do I, by proxy, condemn God's word. Your logic is poor, MC.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
No it doesn't follow. Satan used God's word. When we condemn Satan's use of God's word, we don't, by proxy, condemn God's word. Nor, when I condemn your use of God's word do I, by proxy, condemn God's word. Your logic is poor, MC.

If Satan is present in CH then it is in the falsehoods written in your post. God, however, never lies and the truth of God is that God judges, according to each one’s deeds.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
If Satan is present in CH then it is in the falsehoods written in your post. God, however, never lies and the truth of God is that God judges, according to each one’s deeds.
MC, I never called you Satan. I said that your attempt to claim I condemn God's word is false.
The point is that your works salvation is not biblical.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
MC, I never called you Satan. I said that your attempt to claim I condemn God's word is false.
The point is that your works salvation is not biblical.

Neither are you called Satan by anything I've written; it would be a great boast for any on CH to say of themselves "I am Satan" because - despite his fall and shocking wickedness - he is an Angel of great majesty and power and intellectual capacity far greater than any here on CH. Nevertheless your posts do the work of Satan in condemning the words of holy scripture and especially the words of the Lord, Jesus Christ. The truth remains that God judges, according to each one’s deeds.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Neither are you called Satan by anything I've written; it would be a great boast for any on CH to say of themselves "I am Satan" because - despite his fall and shocking wickedness - he is an Angel of great majesty and power and intellectual capacity far greater than any here on CH. Nevertheless your posts do the work of Satan in condemning the words of holy scripture and especially the words of the Lord, Jesus Christ. The truth remains that God judges, according to each one’s deeds.
No condemnation of scripture despite your foolish claims. As I have stated, it is your works salvation that I wholeheartedly condemn because it is not biblical.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
No condemnation

Excellent. Good. Now
1 Peter 1:13 So, then, let your spirit be ready. Be alert, with confident trust, in the grace you will receive, when Jesus Christ appears. 14 Like obedient children, do not return to your former life, given over to ignorance and passions. 15 Imitate the one who called you. As he is holy, so you, too, be holy, in all your conduct, 16 since Scripture says: Be holy for I am holy.

17 You call upon a Father who makes no distinction between persons, but judges, according to each one’s deeds; take seriously, then, these years which you spend in a strange land. 18 Remember, that you were freed from the useless way of life of your ancestors, not with gold and silver, 19 but with the precious blood of the Lamb without spot or blemish. 20 God, who has known Christ before the world began, revealed him to you in the last days. 21 Through him, you have faith in God, who raised him from the dead, and glorified him, in order that you might put all your faith and hope in God.

22 In obeying the truth, you have gained interior purification, from which comes sincere mutual love. Love one another, then, with all your heart, 23 since you are born again, not from mortal beings, but with enduring life, through the word of God, who lives and remains forever. 24 It is written: All flesh is grass and its glory like the flowers of the field. The grass withers and the flower falls, 25 but the word of the Lord endures forever. This word, is the gospel, which has been brought to you.​
What does it mean when it says that God will judge according to each one’s deeds?

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Excellent. Good. Now
1 Peter 1:13 So, then, let your spirit be ready. Be alert, with confident trust, in the grace you will receive, when Jesus Christ appears. 14 Like obedient children, do not return to your former life, given over to ignorance and passions. 15 Imitate the one who called you. As he is holy, so you, too, be holy, in all your conduct, 16 since Scripture says: Be holy for I am holy.

17 You call upon a Father who makes no distinction between persons, but judges, according to each one’s deeds; take seriously, then, these years which you spend in a strange land. 18 Remember, that you were freed from the useless way of life of your ancestors, not with gold and silver, 19 but with the precious blood of the Lamb without spot or blemish. 20 God, who has known Christ before the world began, revealed him to you in the last days. 21 Through him, you have faith in God, who raised him from the dead, and glorified him, in order that you might put all your faith and hope in God.

22 In obeying the truth, you have gained interior purification, from which comes sincere mutual love. Love one another, then, with all your heart, 23 since you are born again, not from mortal beings, but with enduring life, through the word of God, who lives and remains forever. 24 It is written: All flesh is grass and its glory like the flowers of the field. The grass withers and the flower falls, 25 but the word of the Lord endures forever. This word, is the gospel, which has been brought to you.​
What does it mean when it says that God will judge according to each one’s deeds?
MC, are you just clueless as to why your bolded verse is not about salvation?
I will ask one question. Just answer it straight up.
Is Peter writing to unsaved pagans when he writes this letter?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
MC, are you just clueless as to why your bolded verse is not about salvation?
Except that the passage (verses 13 to 25) is about salvation.
I will ask one question. Just answer it straight up.
Is Peter writing to unsaved pagans when he writes this letter?

Saint Peter is writing to people who know who saved them and he brings to their memories what their salvation cost Remember, that you were freed from the useless way of life of your ancestors, not with gold and silver, but with the precious blood of the Lamb without spot or blemish. and what it means and how to live the life to which the Lord, Jesus Christ, calls them. One marked by obeying the truth by which they have gained interior purification from which comes sincere mutual love. He then urges them on Love one another, then, with all your heart, since you are born again, not from mortal beings, but with enduring life, through the word of God, who lives and remains forever.

So yes, of course the passage is about salvation.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Except that the passage (verses 13 to 25) is about salvation.

Saint Peter is writing to people who know who saved them and he brings to their memories what their salvation cost Remember, that you were freed from the useless way of life of your ancestors, not with gold and silver, but with the precious blood of the Lamb without spot or blemish. and what it means and how to live the life to which the Lord, Jesus Christ, calls them. One marked by obeying the truth by which they have gained interior purification from which comes sincere mutual love. He then urges them on Love one another, then, with all your heart, since you are born again, not from mortal beings, but with enduring life, through the word of God, who lives and remains forever.

So yes, of course the passage is about salvation.
You didn't answer my question. Is Peter writing to unsaved pagans?

Peter is not addressing salvation at all. His readers are saved. They're salvation is not in jeopardy or dependent upon their works.
MC, you are attempting to pound a square peg into a round hole.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
You didn't answer my question. Is Peter writing to unsaved pagans?

Your question is irrelevant to the discussion and you ask it to make an erroneous claim which you have made in error before and been corrected about before so I refer you to those corrections with the hope you will learn to avoid the same error in the future. God willing such will happen. Christians call upon a Father who makes no distinction between persons, but judges, according to each one’s deeds; take seriously, then, these years which you spend in a strange land.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Your question is irrelevant to the discussion and you ask it to make an erroneous claim which you have made in error before and been corrected about before so I refer you to those corrections with the hope you will learn to avoid the same error in the future. God willing such will happen. Christians call upon a Father who makes no distinction between persons, but judges, according to each one’s deeds; take seriously, then, these years which you spend in a strange land.
It's irrelevant to you. You don't care about context nor do you care about good hermeneutics. You have shown everyone at CH your failure to grasp God's grace and your insistence upon saving yourself by your own effort.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It's irrelevant to you. You don't care about context nor do you care about good hermeneutics. You have shown everyone at CH your failure to grasp God's grace and your insistence upon saving yourself by your own effort.

No, it is irrelevant. The words in the passage do not change if read by a pagan, a heretic, or a Christian. The passage still says the same thing. It still says 1 Peter 1:13 So, then, let your spirit be ready. Be alert, with confident trust, in the grace you will receive, when Jesus Christ appears. 14 Like obedient children, do not return to your former life, given over to ignorance and passions. 15 Imitate the one who called you. As he is holy, so you, too, be holy, in all your conduct, 16 since Scripture says: Be holy for I am holy.

22 In obeying the truth, you have gained interior purification, from which comes sincere mutual love. Love one another, then, with all your heart, 23 since you are born again, not from mortal beings, but with enduring life, through the word of God, who lives and remains forever. 24 It is written: All flesh is grass and its glory like the flowers of the field. The grass withers and the flower falls, 25 but the word of the Lord endures forever. This word, is the gospel, which has been brought to you.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
No, it is irrelevant. The words in the passage do not change if read by a pagan, a heretic, or a Christian. The passage still says the same thing. It still says 1 Peter 1:13 So, then, let your spirit be ready. Be alert, with confident trust, in the grace you will receive, when Jesus Christ appears. 14 Like obedient children, do not return to your former life, given over to ignorance and passions. 15 Imitate the one who called you. As he is holy, so you, too, be holy, in all your conduct, 16 since Scripture says: Be holy for I am holy.

22 In obeying the truth, you have gained interior purification, from which comes sincere mutual love. Love one another, then, with all your heart, 23 since you are born again, not from mortal beings, but with enduring life, through the word of God, who lives and remains forever. 24 It is written: All flesh is grass and its glory like the flowers of the field. The grass withers and the flower falls, 25 but the word of the Lord endures forever. This word, is the gospel, which has been brought to you.
You cannot see your failure. I cannot lead you out of your ignorance. You will miss the mark by your own effort. That failure is entirely on you. You have abandoned grace.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Top Bottom