Should the pope step down

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
DHofman is afraid I'm debating and suggested a new thread so here it is. Should the pope step down because of his lack of action when informed of the allegations of sexual abuse in his church and on his watch?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
No, I don't think so. The problems that currently exist in the Catholic church have been going on for generations. To lay all the blame on the present pope isn't fair. Though he should start doing more to get rid of some dirty old man priests

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
DHofman is afraid I'm debating and suggested a new thread so here it is. Should the pope step down because of his lack of action when informed of the allegations of sexual abuse in his church and on his watch?
Well, he is in disgrace now and his ability to exercise much moral leadership has been compromised. That is not just theory, considering the reaction of millions of Catholics to the recent events and to Francis' bumbling response.

The answer to your question, then, probably depends on which he values more--the wellbeing of his church as a religious institution or the opportunity that being elected Pope has given him to push his political agenda. Based on his past performance in Argentina, I would not bet on there being any resignation.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
He has politicized the Papacy with a left wing agenda, including global warming...

This is not the role of a Christian Hierarch...

He comes out of a South American matrix of politically involved clergy...

The cover ups are part and parcel of that agenda...

It is a terrible situation...

Leaving the Latin Church without much Spiritual direction...

He needs all our prayers...

And he will know to stay or to go...

Arsenios

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Here is what I had posted in MCs thread that I moved to this one.
In response to Albion;
I always wondered seriously, if charges were ever brought on the Vatican, if the sitting Pope would ever face court?

It seems like twilight zone stuff for me but I imagine that is possible. The church needs to repent already before it's too late. God will snuff out their candle quick if such perversions are not meet to an ends in the near future.

Could we Anathema such a man? And wouldn't that ultimately reform the church or just diminish it? The last Pope resigned, thats a big deal, and now this is a big deal.

Didn't Father Malachi prophesies Francis to be the last Pope of the church?

I pray not, I pray they do they right thing and protect these kids if they wish to be a church to bestow.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
If what is said is true that he knew and did nothing then I would say yes he should

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No, I don't think he should step down. Most of these things happened before he took office and once he got in he probably thought that those lower than him had already handled the matters sufficiently. Why is it up to him to handle things that should have been done within the diocese?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, he is in disgrace now and his ability to exercise much moral leadership has been compromised. That is not just theory, considering the reaction of millions of Catholics to the recent events and to Francis' bumbling response.

The answer to your question, then, probably depends on which he values more--the wellbeing of his church as a religious institution or the opportunity that being elected Pope has given him to push his political agenda. Based on his past performance in Argentina, I would not bet on there being any resignation.

Very well said.....

NOT picking exclusively on the RC denomination, but my experience is that institutions tend to be - above all else - self -preserving and promoting. It's just how it is. Denominations tend to be like that, and they tend to look to the leaders/directors/management of the institution to insure this. The RC denomination got into these disgusting mess because of this principle - it simply valued its own good more than that of thousands of innocent little Catholic boys. I see NO REASON why the Pope would resign.... and of course, much of this happened on the "watch" of former Popes (some now sainted by the institution of the RC Denomination!!!!). The "problem" for the RC denomination is it got caught (at least in a tiny percentage of cases) and so the leadership failed to protect, defend, promote and preserve the institution. The ONLY reason why the Pope would be allowed to resign is if it is believed that action would benefit the institution more than any other move.

- Josiah

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No, I don't think he should step down. Most of these things happened before he took office and once he got in he probably thought that those lower than him had already handled the matters sufficiently. Why is it up to him to handle things that should have been done within the diocese?

He is the head of the church! He appoints all bishops! He knew of all that was going on, either earlier or currently, and apparently chose to do nothing or very little to confront it, choosing instead to cover up the crimes of his clergy just as he was accused of doing previously as a bishop in Argentina.

Is that defensible? I remember the statement made in the Nixon impeachment case that most people seem comfortable with--he is either responsible or else he's irresponsible.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
God has a remnant of saints in the church of Rome. He will either purge the church and reform it, or He will eliminate it. We will see what God will do with the present pope.

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
==============================================================================================

I’ve been waiting for MoreCoffee to say, “ Impeach the Pope :preach: ! “. (:))

==============================================================================================

MoreCoffee has picked on the Current US President more than once. (Maybe in fun.) But has the Current US President in any likelihood ever covered up child molestation at any stage during his (the President's) career as a businessman, or in his role as President?

Not that I'm aware of.

But the endemicity of the practice in a certain religious organisation has been brought to the public's attention in ever increasing detail, in recent years.

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Impeach the pope! :smirk:

Let us rally together and get petitions signed. hehe

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
Francis is the first Pope in too many decades who has shown the kind of compassion and intelligence that are needed in his office. Unfortunately he has several things in operation against him:

--- his office is infallible which makes it very difficult to recognize and deal with the mistakes of past popes

--- he is dealing with an entrenched and extremely conservative beaurocracy which hamper his every move

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Francis is the first Pope in too many decades who has shown the kind of compassion and intelligence that are needed in his office. Unfortunately he has several things in operation against him:

--- his office is infallible which makes it very difficult to recognize and deal with the mistakes of past popes

No pope is infallible nor is the office infallible the only thing that is infallible that is within the scope of a pope's exercise of his office is an ex cathedra statement. Such statements are rarely made, with the possible exception of the canonisation of a saint. It is a mistake to treat papal statements as infallible when they are not ex cathedra. It is even more of a mistake and very misleading to treat everything that a pope says and does as infallible.

--- he is dealing with an entrenched and extremely conservative beaurocracy which hamper his every move

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

--- and when Francis says it, most people recognize that he's just posturing.

Top Bottom