Eli Eli lama sabachthani?

Ask a Pastor

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Why did Jesus quote psalms on the cross when he said "My God my God why have you forsaken me?"...
Was he starting to doubt God?
Was he questioning Gods will?
Thank you

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Was Jesus doubting God on the cross?

Why did Jesus quote psalms on the cross when he said "My God my God why have you forsaken me?"...
Was he starting to doubt God?
Was he questioning Gods will?
Thank you

Excellent question! First, the biblical references: Matthew 27:46, Mark 15:34, and Psalm 22:1. There is a slight difference between Matthew and Mark with Matthew using the Hebrew “Eli” and Mark using the Aramaic “Elei.”This needs not bother us as they mean the same. (I think Matthew translated the Aramaic Jesus used to make it easier for people to find the Old Testament reference, but that is only my opinion. I say it need not bother us because we still use translations to this day, and for the same reason, so people can understand.)

As you know, the quote is from Psalm 22. Of all the types of ways the Old Testament speaks of Jesus, the most obvious are the direct prophetic utterances that are about Jesus and nothing else. Psalm 22 is one of those. We may experience a feeling of forsakenness but this Psalm is not about that. It is about Jesus. Therefore part of your answer is found in Psalm 22.

First, Jesus was forsaken for us. In other words, we all deserve to be forsaken by God. Jesus endured this for all of us. Being forsaken by God is the ultimate description of Hell. Jesus is going through Hell for us.

Next, Jesus has not lost faith. This is seen in his use of “My” God. He does not say simply “God.”

Next, this cry parallels the anguish Jesus felt on the Mount of Olives where he prayed that the “cup” might pass from him.

Beginning in Psalm 22:19, we read of Jesus’ assurance that the will of God being accomplished on the cross will not lead to defeat but a victory for all humanity. Though on the cross we have only verse one recorded, Jesus certainly had the whole Psalm, along with the final victory, in his mind. We are to let our thoughts travel to that conclusion also.

So, to return to your questions: No, Jesus wasn’t starting to doubt his Father. He was feeling the full weight of being forsaken but knew that the Father was still “my” God. In light of this we can also say he was not doubting the Father’s will. Struggling and doubting are two different things. I may struggle to complete a project, that does not mean that I am doubting that I will finish it to my satisfaction.

There are two things we must hold on to while we answer these questions. Jesus was God and Jesus was human. Not 50% God and 50% human but fully God and fully man. We must sacrifice neither. I think the thoughts above keep both of these truths intact.

Finally, this is only a quick response. Soooo much more could be written on this verse. I hope, though, that this is enough to answer your questions. If not, let me know and I’ll unpack this answer.

Blessings in Christ.

Top Bottom