Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Went to the ER earlier today for pain. They helped some and told me stuff I already knew. I have fatty liver disease but the doctor says I also have NASH. Never heard if it till today. He said that would explain my pain.He says I need to loose 100 pounds!! I would love to but I don't know how to do that. Thats why I need your help please. I need healthy recipes (on a budget) and even LIGHT exercise ideas.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Went to the ER earlier today for pain. They helped some and told me stuff I already knew. I have fatty liver disease but the doctor says I also have NASH. Never heard if it till today. He said that would explain my pain.He says I need to loose 100 pounds!! I would love to but I don't know how to do that. Thats why I need your help please. I need healthy recipes (on a budget) and even LIGHT exercise ideas.
Sorry to hear that Krissy! I actually was diagnosed with an inflamed liver 2 years ago which was do to excessive binge drinking I did years back. The link says that yours is non alcohol related which is new to me.
I hope we can help you out with ideas on how to loose weight.
For starters though I always heard that drinking more water will help curve your appetite especially if you drink caffeine you might want to substitute water for it. I've noticed it helps regulate my metabolite personally.
I had a roommate who lost over 50 pounds by swimming more often, nothing hardcore but just moving around in water.
Again I hope we can help.
Prayers for you and God bless!

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Sorry to hear that Krissy! I actually was diagnosed with an inflamed liver 2 years ago which was do to excessive binge drinking I did years back. The link says that yours is non alcohol related which is new to me.
I hope we can help you out with ideas on how to loose weight.
For starters though I always heard that drinking more water will help curve your appetite especially if you drink caffeine you might want to substitute water for it. I've noticed it helps regulate my metabolite personally.
I had a roommate who lost over 50 pounds by swimming more often, nothing hardcore but just moving around in water.
Again I hope we can help.
Prayers for you and God bless!

Yes mine is non alcohol related as I don't drink. I will try that out first as I do like my soda. Right now I drink flavored waters that I like a lot. I heard swimming is like the best exercise for you and its fun.

Thank you for your prayers. :hug2:

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Praying for you Krissy

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Krissy, one of the easiest exercises is walking if you don't have access to a pool. Do you have a pedometer? There are cheap ones on Amazon. I recommend getting one and strive to do 10,000 steps each day. Walk in place if you have to to achieve that goal. If 10,000 is way too high then start off with 7,500. But don't stay there for long. Don't become complacent.

As for diet, there are a lot of "diets" out there. I have friends who are having success with the Keto diet. It's not for me so I won't do it but they say they aren't hungry on it so maybe look into that one?

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Krissy, one of the easiest exercises is walking if you don't have access to a pool. Do you have a pedometer? There are cheap ones on Amazon. I recommend getting one and strive to do 10,000 steps each day. Walk in place if you have to to achieve that goal. If 10,000 is way too high then start off with 7,500. But don't stay there for long. Don't become complacent.

As for diet, there are a lot of "diets" out there. I have friends who are having success with the Keto diet. It's not for me so I won't do it but they say they aren't hungry on it so maybe look into that one?

Don't have a pedometer but I can see about getting one.

My mother in law as well as my sister in law and brother in law are on the Keto diet and they have lot a lot of weight. I want to do it but I love food to much and too much of the "bad" foods. :(

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Don't have a pedometer but I can see about getting one.

My mother in law as well as my sister in law and brother in law are on the Keto diet and they have lot a lot of weight. I want to do it but I love food to much and too much of the "bad" foods. :(

I'm sure your doctor told you the "bad" foods will shorten your life if you continue on them. My friends on the Keto diet say they don't even crave their bad foods any more! Look into it and see what you think. Your problems won't get better if you continue on the path you are on now. This might make you feel better if you can lose the weight :)

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Krissy I will tell you what the doctor told me as I have diabetes and love sweets. He said that once in a while is ok as long as I dont overdo it and maybe this could apply to your diet as well I dont know only the doctor can tell you that but if it does then I can tell you that it is a big help.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Krissy I will tell you what the doctor told me as I have diabetes and love sweets. He said that once in a while is ok as long as I dont overdo it and maybe this could apply to your diet as well I dont know only the doctor can tell you that but if it does then I can tell you that it is a big help.

I need to not overdo it with food. And if I'm hungry I will eat a healthy snack like carrots or a banana. When I see my doctor again I'm going to talk to her about a diet program or something.

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Krissy, there have been a lot of news articles lately where I live, which warn against cutting out whole food groups. I know a lot of people are happy on the keto, Atkins, paleo type diets, but diets like that put a lot of stress on your body. As well, they are not a long-term solution for most people - especially those of us who enjoy their carbs!

Years ago, I had to lose a lot of weight. I had a lap-band operation, and was supposed to follow a post-op diet. I followed that diet and lost 100 lbs. I have no idea where the whole diet is - there are lists of foods to choose from - but I do know the maintenance part of the diet, which I was on for a long time - till I got married and started cooking for husband and son. Here are the principles of my maintenance diet:

- Eat every three hours, take very tiny bites, and eat very slowly
- Eat nutrient-packed food (lots of nutrients for only a few calories, like eggs)
- Consume only 150-175 calories at each meal (if you eat nutrient-rich foods, this will be the equivalent of approximately your fist)
- Eat one protein at every meal (helps you stay full longer); nuts, dairy, seeds, meats, etc
- Do not eat: yeast, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, or white flour. You can eat grains, but eat whole grains.

It will take about 2 weeks to stop craving sugar. When you crave sugar, eat a high-sugar fruit, like a walnut-laced banana (that's a meal).

Examples of my meals:
- ten whole-grain crackers with cheese and grape tomatoes
- baked potato with melted cheese and broccoli
- fruit with nuts or yogurt
- apples spread with peanut butter, or cooked apple with cinnamon and pecans
- 4 oz chicken (I often used lemon zest and thyme or sage to flavor) with vegetable
- taco-flavored beef with lettuce and grape tomato
- stir-fry with a small amount of teriyaki
- dill-rubbed ham with nutmeg carrots

You get the idea. Make everything home-made and learn to use spices to bring out flavor (this is more satisfying, so you don't want food so soon). As well, if you make it, you know what's going into it, and you need to work for what you eat.

If you go out, ask your husband to share a little of his meal with you, and still only eat a fistful of food. Or you can make healthier choices. For breakfast, you can have a poached egg with sliced tomatoes, for example, or choose broth-based soups.

Don't totally deprive yourself. If you want munchies, have fried cheese chips, microwaved potato crisps (there's a dish to make these in), or have some pudding (there's a non-sugar pudding in the cold section of your grocery). I like my morning iced java. I've been drinking it for many years, and when I had my lap band, I asked my doctor if I could continue to have it, even though it has a little sugar in it. He said it's okay. That is the only treat I allowed myself for years... but because it was the only treat, I savored it and looked forward to mornings. As well, if you try this, make sure to reward yourself with things that are not food. For example, use the money you save from groceries, and get your hair or nails done.

I've gained a significant amount of weight back because my family was not on board with my eating habits. I need to go back on this diet. I felt sooo healthy, and was physically able to do so much more than I can when I'm heavy.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Reading ingredients helps!! Mustard has 0 calories! Ketchup has sugar! It makes sense to start using mustard and eliminate ketchup.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm sure your doctor told you the "bad" foods will shorten your life if you continue on them. My friends on the Keto diet say they don't even crave their bad foods any more! Look into it and see what you think. Your problems won't get better if you continue on the path you are on now. This might make you feel better if you can lose the weight :)

I will talk to my mother in law about the diet and see if she can help me.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Krissy, there have been a lot of news articles lately where I live, which warn against cutting out whole food groups. I know a lot of people are happy on the keto, Atkins, paleo type diets, but diets like that put a lot of stress on your body. As well, they are not a long-term solution for most people - especially those of us who enjoy their carbs!

Years ago, I had to lose a lot of weight. I had a lap-band operation, and was supposed to follow a post-op diet. I followed that diet and lost 100 lbs. I have no idea where the whole diet is - there are lists of foods to choose from - but I do know the maintenance part of the diet, which I was on for a long time - till I got married and started cooking for husband and son. Here are the principles of my maintenance diet:

- Eat every three hours, take very tiny bites, and eat very slowly
- Eat nutrient-packed food (lots of nutrients for only a few calories, like eggs)
- Consume only 150-175 calories at each meal (if you eat nutrient-rich foods, this will be the equivalent of approximately your fist)
- Eat one protein at every meal (helps you stay full longer); nuts, dairy, seeds, meats, etc
- Do not eat: yeast, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, or white flour. You can eat grains, but eat whole grains.

It will take about 2 weeks to stop craving sugar. When you crave sugar, eat a high-sugar fruit, like a walnut-laced banana (that's a meal).

Examples of my meals:
- ten whole-grain crackers with cheese and grape tomatoes
- baked potato with melted cheese and broccoli
- fruit with nuts or yogurt
- apples spread with peanut butter, or cooked apple with cinnamon and pecans
- 4 oz chicken (I often used lemon zest and thyme or sage to flavor) with vegetable
- taco-flavored beef with lettuce and grape tomato
- stir-fry with a small amount of teriyaki
- dill-rubbed ham with nutmeg carrots

You get the idea. Make everything home-made and learn to use spices to bring out flavor (this is more satisfying, so you don't want food so soon). As well, if you make it, you know what's going into it, and you need to work for what you eat.

If you go out, ask your husband to share a little of his meal with you, and still only eat a fistful of food. Or you can make healthier choices. For breakfast, you can have a poached egg with sliced tomatoes, for example, or choose broth-based soups.

Don't totally deprive yourself. If you want munchies, have fried cheese chips, microwaved potato crisps (there's a dish to make these in), or have some pudding (there's a non-sugar pudding in the cold section of your grocery). I like my morning iced java. I've been drinking it for many years, and when I had my lap band, I asked my doctor if I could continue to have it, even though it has a little sugar in it. He said it's okay. That is the only treat I allowed myself for years... but because it was the only treat, I savored it and looked forward to mornings. As well, if you try this, make sure to reward yourself with things that are not food. For example, use the money you save from groceries, and get your hair or nails done.

I've gained a significant amount of weight back because my family was not on board with my eating habits. I need to go back on this diet. I felt sooo healthy, and was physically able to do so much more than I can when I'm heavy.

Thank you so much for your help. :hug2: I will do those meals and start looking into the Keo diet.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Reading ingredients helps!! Mustard has 0 calories! Ketchup has sugar! It makes sense to start using mustard and eliminate ketchup.

I agree with reading ingredients. I don't like mustard so I will have to look for something else. I like ketchup but can get use to not using it.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes mine is non alcohol related as I don't drink. I will try that out first as I do like my soda. Right now I drink flavored waters that I like a lot. I heard swimming is like the best exercise for you and its fun.

Thank you for your prayers. :hug2:

Check what's in those flavored waters - some of them look pretty innocent but are loaded with sugars. It's terrifying just how much sugar is in a lot of the stuff we eat and drink. If you can cut out soda that alone should make a noticeable difference, especially if you're drinking a couple of cans or more a day.

In essence losing weight is simple - as a rule you need to eat less and move around more. Start with portion sizes - just prepare a little less food than you used to. If what you normally eat is loaded with sugar and salt and fat and stuff, look to overhaul it and add more fruit and vegetables to it.

Personally I wouldn't bother with any of the fad diets. I'm suspicious of the push to eliminate fats, simply because most food that is "low fat" or "fat free" is also "low taste" or "taste free" and often contains added salt and sugar to make up for the missing fat.

If you're not already doing this, eat your food slowly. Chew it well - if you have to mentally count the number of times you chew do that, and make sure you chew at least 20-30 times before swallowing your food. It will help with digestion and also gives your body more time to signal that you are full and don't need any more food. Drink water, and if you drink coffee add regular milk to it rather than the flavored syrups you can get that are loaded with calories.

Depending on your skills in the kitchen there are all sorts of things you can cook in a slow cooker that will do two or more meals and are relatively cheap. One dish my wife sometimes prepares is little more than sausages (sourced from a local store rather than the big-box stores, so they contain at least some meat!), sliced up bell peppers and onions. Throw it all in the crock pot and cook for 6-8 hours on low.

As far as moving around goes, it's often difficult to get started. That's a shame because the people who need to get started are overweight people, who are often put off by the fact it takes a lot of effort and is sweaty work. Do you have sidewalks where you live? If so, try walking around the block a few times. Look at a local map and see if there's a route you can walk, and work up to walk further and further. The great thing about walking from home is that it costs nothing. My wife and I have a route around where we live that takes in about 3 miles and when it's not too hot or too cold we try and walk it every day.

Swimming is good, low-impact exercise but has the downside that if you are overweight and self-conscious it sometimes feels awkward parading in front of a pool full of strangers wearing a bathing suit. Just know you aren't alone, there are usually people of all shapes and sizes in the pool and as soon as you are in the water people aren't looking at you. Chances are they aren't looking at you anyway, but it's easy to feel self-conscious when you're not in the water.

Cycling is a fairly low impact exercise as well but depending on where you live and what the roads are like you may prefer an indoor bicycle. Personally I prefer to be outside so I get the sunshine and the fresh air, but in some areas I know people are afraid to take to the open road on two wheels. If you've got a local rails-to-trails you can cycle on that could work, or you can often pick up used indoor bicycles fairly cheaply. They do have the advantage that you don't need lights or a helmet to ride one! Just make sure you adjust the saddle height so you don't put unnecessary strain on your knees - the one thing I notice a lot is people riding around on a bike that's so badly adjusted I can see at a glance it's not right.

If you have access to a local gym check it out - they should have a range of treadmills, indoor bicycles, cross trainers etc. Use a heart rate monitor and make sure you don't overdo it, especially in the early weeks and months. If you haven't exercised in a while it's a good idea to talk to your doctor about an appropriate level of exertion so you don't exacerbate any conditions you have. The key thing is to move, and a treadmill means you can use the muscles that notionally walk, without having to worry about being outside in the weather or dealing with busy roads and missing sidewalks and the like.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Check what's in those flavored waters - some of them look pretty innocent but are loaded with sugars. It's terrifying just how much sugar is in a lot of the stuff we eat and drink. If you can cut out soda that alone should make a noticeable difference, especially if you're drinking a couple of cans or more a day.

The water I drink has 0 caffeine, 0 sodium and 0 sugars.
In essence losing weight is simple - as a rule you need to eat less and move around more. Start with portion sizes - just prepare a little less food than you used to. If what you normally eat is loaded with sugar and salt and fat and stuff, look to overhaul it and add more fruit and vegetables to it.

I do love my fruits and vegetables!

Personally I wouldn't bother with any of the fad diets. I'm suspicious of the push to eliminate fats, simply because most food that is "low fat" or "fat free" is also "low taste" or "taste free" and often contains added salt and sugar to make up for the missing fat.

So just eating right is fine?

If you're not already doing this, eat your food slowly. Chew it well - if you have to mentally count the number of times you chew do that, and make sure you chew at least 20-30 times before swallowing your food. It will help with digestion and also gives your body more time to signal that you are full and don't need any more food. Drink water, and if you drink coffee add regular milk to it rather than the flavored syrups you can get that are loaded with calories.

I'm not like my husband who had to eat his food FAST as being in the military. Hes still like that even tho he is out. So thats not a problem for me. I have heard that drinking water before you eat makes you less hungry. Will have to try that.

Depending on your skills in the kitchen there are all sorts of things you can cook in a slow cooker that will do two or more meals and are relatively cheap. One dish my wife sometimes prepares is little more than sausages (sourced from a local store rather than the big-box stores, so they contain at least some meat!), sliced up bell peppers and onions. Throw it all in the crock pot and cook for 6-8 hours on low.

I LOVE my slow cooker!! I am going to be taking a class in a few months on crock-pot cooking. I'm excited.

As far as moving around goes, it's often difficult to get started. That's a shame because the people who need to get started are overweight people, who are often put off by the fact it takes a lot of effort and is sweaty work. Do you have sidewalks where you live? If so, try walking around the block a few times. Look at a local map and see if there's a route you can walk, and work up to walk further and further. The great thing about walking from home is that it costs nothing. My wife and I have a route around where we live that takes in about 3 miles and when it's not too hot or too cold we try and walk it every day.

Walking is hard for me. I have a bad body so it hurts to walk much or even stand for a period of time.

Swimming is good, low-impact exercise but has the downside that if you are overweight and self-conscious it sometimes feels awkward parading in front of a pool full of strangers wearing a bathing suit. Just know you aren't alone, there are usually people of all shapes and sizes in the pool and as soon as you are in the water people aren't looking at you. Chances are they aren't looking at you anyway, but it's easy to feel self-conscious when you're not in the water.

I am self-conscious but I think once I do it, it will get easier and easier.

Cycling is a fairly low impact exercise as well but depending on where you live and what the roads are like you may prefer an indoor bicycle. Personally I prefer to be outside so I get the sunshine and the fresh air, but in some areas I know people are afraid to take to the open road on two wheels. If you've got a local rails-to-trails you can cycle on that could work, or you can often pick up used indoor bicycles fairly cheaply. They do have the advantage that you don't need lights or a helmet to ride one! Just make sure you adjust the saddle height so you don't put unnecessary strain on your knees - the one thing I notice a lot is people riding around on a bike that's so badly adjusted I can see at a glance it's not right.

I could do that. I want a treadmill. So I can walk inside and those don't usually hurt me as I'm not going up hills and stuff.

If you have access to a local gym check it out - they should have a range of treadmills, indoor bicycles, cross trainers etc. Use a heart rate monitor and make sure you don't overdo it, especially in the early weeks and months. If you haven't exercised in a while it's a good idea to talk to your doctor about an appropriate level of exertion so you don't exacerbate any conditions you have. The key thing is to move, and a treadmill means you can use the muscles that notionally walk, without having to worry about being outside in the weather or dealing with busy roads and missing sidewalks and the like.

I will do that. I think I am more scared of the gym then the pool. :p

Thank you for all this advice. :hug2:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If you have water with your meal, only drink it at the beginning and then the very end. What happens when you drink water during your meal is that it pushes down the food in your gut and makes room for more! Yikes. My daughter's nutritionist told us about this. Sometimes it's hard to not want something liquid when eating certain foods. Let your saliva do the work.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The water I drink has 0 caffeine, 0 sodium and 0 sugars.

Check for artificial sweeteners as well. Although they don't contain calories the way sugar does they can trick your body into thinking it is processing sugar, which may not be a good thing. There's lots of discussion about the safety or otherwise of aspartame, sucralose etc but it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that they trigger the same insulin response as sugar, except that the insulin would end up mopping up any sugar it could find because there was no excess sugar to process.

I do love my fruits and vegetables!

You've immediately got something of a head start then. Better to come at this from a perspective of enjoying fruit and vegetables, than from wondering what the green things in the produce aisle are for :)

So just eating right is fine?

It's best to exercise as well, otherwise your metabolism slows and you're more prone to put on weight. But of course if you don't put it in you don't have to burn it off. Eating right is a key part of it - there's not much point in taking lots of exercise if you're also shovelling junk food into your body.

I'm not like my husband who had to eat his food FAST as being in the military. Hes still like that even tho he is out. So thats not a problem for me. I have heard that drinking water before you eat makes you less hungry. Will have to try that.

A friend of mine is a retired doctor. When he was a junior doctor (and we're probably talking 30 years ago now) he knew he had to eat his food very fast because if he got called for an emergency he wouldn't get to finish it. Even now he destroys food faster than just about anyone else I know.

I LOVE my slow cooker!! I am going to be taking a class in a few months on crock-pot cooking. I'm excited.

You can get a lot of books with slow cooker recipes too.

Walking is hard for me. I have a bad body so it hurts to walk much or even stand for a period of time.

This is where you'll want your doctor's advice over mine, but maybe you can walk a short distance and get accustomed to it, slowly increasing the distances based on what you can manage? If you have medical conditions that make things difficult for you make sure you get appropriate advice so you don't make things worse.

I am self-conscious but I think once I do it, it will get easier and easier.

If you think of the gym or pool as the place where the super-fit hang out and judge everyone you'll feel awkward. When I went to the gym regularly I usually paid more attention (envious attention, if I'm honest) to the people who were much better than I was, than the people who lifted less weight or went slower than me. My tendency was to look at the people who could run six miles on the treadmill without breaking a sweat and want to reach that point, rather than to look at the people who struggled to maintain what I'd call a slow walking pace and think back to when I was like that. There will always be some who just want to criticize but remember that if you're on the treadmill you're gaining distance on the person who sits on the couch eating chips.

I could do that. I want a treadmill. So I can walk inside and those don't usually hurt me as I'm not going up hills and stuff.

Treadmills are good in that you can decide when you want to go up a hill and how big you want the hill to be. Personally I find that stationary equipment gets boring because I want the scenery to change, but they do mean you don't have to deal with weather, traffic etc.

Thank you for all this advice. :hug2:

You're welcome. Don't forget to post progress so you can get encouragement.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
NASH is Fatty Liver. Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) is liver inflammation and damage caused by a buildup of fat in the liver. It is part of a group of conditions called nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. ... NASH is similar to the kind of liver disease that is caused by long-term, heavy drinking. I have it, too, and have had it for many years. Mine recently turned to cirrhosis so a word to the wise would be do what the doctor says.

Top Bottom