Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Lately I have been closing nights at my job so I tend to fall asleep about 1 or 2 am and I still wake up at sun rise leaving me with about 5 or 6 hours a sleep and then I work evenings again etc...
My body does not fall asleep during the day so I don't take naps. I do take ambien at night to fight insomnia when I do wake up at 3 am or something (it puts me right back out) so maybe it's causing adverse side effects but I have always had this struggle.
So during the day I am a bit out of sorts, tired and foggy headed. If I try to lay around to get more hours of sleep when it's already day light I just get sore in bones because I'm not actually sleeping -just spending more hours in my bed, sometimes 4 hours (10 all together) just waiting until my back starts bothering me.
My question, is 5 to 6 hours of sleep just normal for some people?
My mom has the same issue and we believe maybe we are just wired that way...

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think it is a myth that most people need 8 hours. I do okay with just 6.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes! Some people thrive on 5-6 hours of sleep a night. I don't know how many years they manage on it though. My husband used to be one of those people. Now he goes to be extra early and probably gets 8 or 9 hours. He naps all weekend and always has to catch up. During the work week he didn't need as much sleep.

Do you feel refreshed or exhausted without the ambien?

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Yes! Some people thrive on 5-6 hours of sleep a night. I don't know how many years they manage on it though. My husband used to be one of those people. Now he goes to be extra early and probably gets 8 or 9 hours. He naps all weekend and always has to catch up. During the work week he didn't need as much sleep.

Do you feel refreshed or exhausted without the ambien?

Without ambien I get about 4 hours of sleep because I wake up in the middle of the night for at least 3 hours and my anxiety rises, very miserable the next day.
This also depends on my activity during the day, if I work 12 hours doing hard labor I will fall asleep and stay asleep but as I develop stamina I will struggle again in a weeks time.
When I first started ambien I slept like a baby and not groggy the next morning, a wee sleepy but in a great wide eyed bushy tailed mood.
When I was a kid I suffered exploding head syndrome (real thing look it up lol) so I actually feared sleep, it could also be my bed or even that stupid train that lays down on the horn every 2 hours.
the church prayed over me for my insomnia once and that night I suppose I got better rest but the next day I had trouble again.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Have you tried Melatonin?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I use Gabpentin which is used to treat neropothy, works well for me I take 300 milligrams at night

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
What keep you awake at night? Is it your mind rushing or worries or fears, what is it?

Fullmoon

Religious Affiliation
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
I think it is a myth that most people need 8 hours. I do okay with just 6.

I agree to a point. 6 hours is enough for most people to get through a day on, but in the long run it's not enough to be healthy. 8 hours is a healthy amount. Sleep is really important to fight of diseases , viruses etc.

I have insomnia that runs in the family. If I don't take tablets I sleep 1-2 hours a night, broken sleep.. With tablets I get 6-8 hours but again it's broken sleep . I usually wake 5 times a night.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I agree to a point. 6 hours is enough for most people to get through a day on, but in the long run it's not enough to be healthy. 8 hours is a healthy amount. Sleep is really important to fight of diseases , viruses etc.

I have insomnia that runs in the family. If I don't take tablets I sleep 1-2 hours a night, broken sleep.. With tablets I get 6-8 hours but again it's broken sleep . I usually wake 5 times a night.

Yes, I wake up a lot at night as well. Sometimes my sleep apnea would wake me up particularly before it was being treated because I would stop breathing and have this choking sensation and wake up like that.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I slept 1 to 2 hours a night when I first started some new medications. It took doctors to find the right combination to normalize me but only after 8 months. I was exhausted needless to say. I had a job that I could nap and I worked from home a lot. Now, I get up at 3:45 am and get ready for work. When I get home if I sit, I will fall asleep and take a short nap. So I keep going, lots to do. I go to bed at 11 pm and usually fall right asleep, so I get about 4 1/2 of solid sleep during the week. On the weekend, I can't sleep in, I'm just used to getting up so early... so my eyes open around 5 at the latest but I lay there trying to just rest and eventually may fall back asleep but after about an hour. Then like Andrew I get up with sore bones and a hurting back. But I need it totally dark to fall asleep and stay asleep.

Fullmoon

Religious Affiliation
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
I have back problems, if I lay for more than 7 hours I wake up in agony.

I'd love to be able to sleep straight away. Weather I have tablets or not I'm still awake for upto 3 hours before I sleep.

Speaking to my mother yesterday, insomnia affected more of our family than I thought. Very sad 2 family members killed themselves because of it.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Sometimes I struggle to get to sleep. I keep melatonin on hand to help. I started out with 5mg tablets but found they not only put me to sleep but left me sluggish in the morning, so cut the dose to 3mg. The tablets I have now are rapid-dissolving so you can literally take them as you get into bed. The previous ones needed to be taken 20 minutes before bed.

If I can find the rapid-dissolving versions in 1mg I plan to get some of those, as I'm finding most of the time these days I don't need to take it but if I do even a 3mg dose sometimes leaves me a bit sluggish in the morning.

Juneberry

Religious Affiliation
Other Religion
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
There's a lot of wiggle room when it comes to how much sleep a person needs to function- and it also changes as we grow. When I was young, I only needed 3 hours of sleep a night. As a teen, it was more like ten. Nowadays, I still function better with more sleep than less, but I've been feeling more able to handle the nights that I don't get much. So, to be honest, I'm not sure there truly is a 'perfect amount', because I find it often varies for everyone.

MeowsePad

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
I feel like I could get twelve hours of sleep and feel as though I got six hours. I just always want more sleep no matter how much I've gotten. Lol! I guess I'm just lazy.

Top Bottom