Frequency of Communion?

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Frequency of Communion varies a great deal even within the EOC... Some Churches, mostly Eastern Block one
ut sometimes more for those coming on pilgrimages...

The Service of the Divine Liturgy takes 1-2 hours, depending on the Priest, and the Prosphora Loaves are 6-10" in diameter, according to the number of Communicants, and are baked as a ministry by certain parishoners, mostly women, but not always, a process that takes them 2-3 hours, yielding several loaves, [Lambs] carrying the impress of the seal impressed on their tops:

220px-21-prosphore.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosphora

Here is a well made Lamb:

dec2.jpg

The wine we use is made in monasteries, normally, although we can and do use Manischewitz Wine if we run out... We do not purchase this wine - It is given to us at no charge... So the cost in dollars for us is basically the cost of the flour and salt and yeast and water... A pittance of coin... [We bury our dead similarly for the cost of the boards to build a pine box... The rest is but blessed labors...]

My particular parish (of about a hundred souls) is very blessed to normally do three Divine Liturgies a week, plus two services daily, morning and evening [Orthros/Matins plus Vespers] - We do more services than most by a lot - approaching a monastic level of services while still somehow managing to function in the world... Our Priest has a lot of his faithful now living in monasteries as monastics, in part because of this frequency of services...

Biblically, I remember Paul locked up in the basement of the prison, rejoicing in his afflictions while doing the songs in the night, when an earthquake loosed the chains, and the guard was about to fall on his sword because they had gotten away, but was dissuaded by Paul and converted... Monasteries do this kind of services throughout the night while we sleep... And our little parish does, normally, a 3AM and then a 4AM Service on Monday mornings when we get to join with the Monks and Nuns in Spirit and pray locally for all those sleeping and those awake... It is a hidden ministry, a Grace-bestowing blessing of the Christian Faith on the world...

The Church Canons forbid more than one Communion Service at the same Altar or by the same Priest on the same day... And the Lord's Prayer does state: "Give us this day our Super-Essential Bread..." So daily Communion, or at least fairly frequent Communion, is a good thing... In persecutions, such as the Gulags of Russia, they went years without Communion, often to death... Yet if they could set aside a little bread and juice, the prisoner-clergymen knew the services by heart, and kept them alive silently within their souls in the brutality of those peresecutions where most died...

Arsenios

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
That's some pretty bread there, Arsenios. I don't understand why your canon forbids more than one communion service a day though, is that because of the re-sacrifice verse?

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
That's some pretty bread there, Arsenios. I don't understand why your canon forbids more than one communion service a day though, is that because of the re-sacrifice verse?

It is one Altar, one Priest, per day...

Probably because Christ alone died only once that day...

Rome does not follow this Canon, if I have them aright...

The Lamb is taken from the center...

The bread around the Lamb is the Antidoron...

Given to those unprepared for Communion... ("in place of the Gift")

The periphery bread is simply Blessed Bread...

For 2000 years now and counting...

Arsenios

George

Tis Theos Megas
Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I believe we should receive it as frequently as we can because I believe it to be the Body and Blood of Christ, so why wouldn’t I want to?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Why do some churches do communion only once a month or even every six months or only once a year, as opposed to doing it every Sunday? Orthodox Churches do it every Sunday and during every Divine Liturgy to allow us to partake of the Body and Blood of the Lord.

My Lutheran parish includes it in every SUNDAY service (but not necessarily in other services). The Lutheran Confessions state that Lutherans include it every Sunday.

However, Jesus said "often" and not "Every Sunday" or "Every week." So, I think there is legitimate wiggle room here, lol. I would NOT declare some Presbyterian parish wrong if it includes it less often. However, I might WONDER why they are withholding it... wonder, not condemn.

Top Bottom