Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I think so....

My Miata will go 120 MPH. Why haven't I driven it at that speed? Well, IN PART, because there's a law. I'd like to, but...

I would like to park my Miata in my driveway (rather than at my parent's house). Why don't I? My HOA doesn't allow it. I'd like to, but...

Lots of people would like to smoke anywhere they like in California. Why don't they? It's illegal in many public places. They'd like to, but....

Laws DO impact behavior - at least to a degree. Even when the law is disliked.

Now, I DO think laws have limitations, and I spoke of that in my post above.

- Josiah

I'd like to drive my car faster on some highways too...but the Law holds me back. Good point, Josiah!

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
What is a HOA?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What is a HOA?

HOA is a Home Owners Association. They exist in some parts of the US and from what I can see do little beyond telling people what they can and can't do with their own homes. In some areas the HOA determines what color you're allowed to paint your house, apparently Josiah's HOA determines he's not allowed to park his car on his driveway overnight and I've read stories of HOAs imposing rules ridiculous enough that they get sued for them (like the one that demanded homeowners keep their garage doors open, so it could be verified they weren't letting people sleep in the garage)

Personally I can't imagine living in a house that I owned but someone else got to tell me I wasn't allowed to put these particular blinds in the window because they weren't of an approved color, or being told I wasn't allowed to park on my own driveway, or whatever else.

Top Bottom