... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I think a large part of the issue with vaccines is that neither side seems entirely honest.

Few medical professionals would say there is anything much you can do that involves adding foreign material into the body that is 100% risk free. When something is given to millions of people the chances are very high that some of them will have some form of side effect. For those opposed to any form of vaccination to point at a few points of anecdotal evidence as "proof" that vaccines are dangerous is silly. It's equally silly for the pro-vaccine side to come out and insist that vaccines are perfectly safe, as if side-effects are simply not possible.

A related issue is that if society wants the benefits of herd immunity to the point it expects to impose vaccinations on people who would rather not use them, that society needs to carry the costs associated with the side effects as and when they occur. It's simply not good enough to demand parents vaccinate their children and then abandon them if they are unlucky enough to have a child who suffers from side-effects.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I think a large part of the issue with vaccines is that neither side seems entirely honest.

Few medical professionals would say there is anything much you can do that involves adding foreign material into the body that is 100% risk free. When something is given to millions of people the chances are very high that some of them will have some form of side effect. For those opposed to any form of vaccination to point at a few points of anecdotal evidence as "proof" that vaccines are dangerous is silly. It's equally silly for the pro-vaccine side to come out and insist that vaccines are perfectly safe, as if side-effects are simply not possible.

A related issue is that if society wants the benefits of herd immunity to the point it expects to impose vaccinations on people who would rather not use them, that society needs to carry the costs associated with the side effects as and when they occur. It's simply not good enough to demand parents vaccinate their children and then abandon them if they are unlucky enough to have a child who suffers from side-effects.
It's my understanding that the reason for vaccines is because of foreign travel and interaction, like when so many Native Americans had a fatal reaction when coming in contact with European settlers.
I used to think vaccines were harmful, but I also got fed up with being paranoid and believing that every single thing the government does is corrupt, only some things are ;)

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
It's my understanding that the reason for vaccines is because of foreign travel and interaction, like when so many Native Americans had a fatal reaction when coming in contact with European settlers.
I used to think vaccines were harmful, but I also got fed up with being paranoid and believing that every single thing the government does is corrupt, only some things are ;)
Yes, the government does some things that are but not all and many conspiricy theories a re bogus but some are not

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I think there's scope for a vaccine to be more harmful than some would consider acceptable.

In the UK there was a big stink about the MMR vaccine. At the time the prime minister had a young son. All it would have taken to show faith in the MMR vaccine the government expected people to give their kids, was to show that the prime minister's own kid had received the vaccine. Instead we were treated to lots of posturing about how he had the right to privacy. Which of course he does, but when the prime minister won't step up and show that he gave the vaccine to his own kid he does rather lose the right to dictate that everybody else has to have it.

And then, for good measure, a lot of people who wanted their children vaccinated but were worried about the MMR combined vaccine, were told that if they wanted individual vaccines they would have to pay for it themselves. The NHS would pay for MMR but not individual vaccines.

One thing I find interesting is that when I was a teenager only girls got the rubella vaccine. It just wasn't given to boys. Now it's part of the combined MMR vaccine and of all the cases where MMR is suspected of causing autism I think most of not all of them are boys.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I think there's scope for a vaccine to be more harmful than some would consider acceptable.

In the UK there was a big stink about the MMR vaccine. At the time the prime minister had a young son. All it would have taken to show faith in the MMR vaccine the government expected people to give their kids, was to show that the prime minister's own kid had received the vaccine. Instead we were treated to lots of posturing about how he had the right to privacy. Which of course he does, but when the prime minister won't step up and show that he gave the vaccine to his own kid he does rather lose the right to dictate that everybody else has to have it.

And then, for good measure, a lot of people who wanted their children vaccinated but were worried about the MMR combined vaccine, were told that if they wanted individual vaccines they would have to pay for it themselves. The NHS would pay for MMR but not individual vaccines.

One thing I find interesting is that when I was a teenager only girls got the rubella vaccine. It just wasn't given to boys. Now it's part of the combined MMR vaccine and of all the cases where MMR is suspected of causing autism I think most of not all of them are boys.
Interesting, something for me to research

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
You mean the Earth is not flat? :disgonbegood:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
we have mountains:D

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The Earth is not like a piece of paper in shape. It doesn't have an Ice wall at the edges.

But pretending that it is seems like fun for a lot of people.

So they get all sorts of jollies from writing serious papers and creating interesting postulations to explain the apparent spherical shape of the planet.

Top Bottom