Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I do not mind USAns opining about Australia. It's fine with me. Some of their opinions are spot on. Some are daft as can be. But Albion's choice of material was just vulgar.
If you think THAT was vulgar, you should read the original news articles from Australia and not just the severely edited summary that I posted!

I think embarrassing was the word you really were searching for.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Still no news on who will be PM next week.

ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) says that they think that Malcolm will resign and then immediately resign from parliament. That may mean an almost immediate federal election because the Liberal/National coalition government has only a one seat majority in the house of representatives. So if Malcolm resigns then they will not have a majority.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The game is up!

Malcolm is gone, Scott Morrison is the new PM. He won against Peter Dutton with 45 votes against 40 votes.

The immediate battle is over, but Peter Dutton's ambition to be PM is not over.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In other words, the instability continues.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
In other words, the instability continues.

Of course. Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, in whom there is no salvation. When his breath departs, he returns to the earth; on that very day his plans perish. (Psalms 146:3-4)

A federal election is due by May 2019. That's not too far away. Barring unforeseen circumstances the current government will lose.

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
==============================================================================================

DHoffman (Post #3): 7 Prime Munisters in 10 years?

Cool, Huh?

Australia has no resident President. So the equivalent of the majority leader in the United States House of Representatives is called Prime Minister. The equivalent of the minority leader is called Leader of the Opposition. Those two people have a large (almost Presidential-style) say in Party policy. As MoreCoffee pointed out, if either Party thinks its leader is leading the Party to an impending election loss, the Party can change leaders.

It’s not quite as heavy as say, impeachment.

My wife and I gained great amusement from following the goings on. (As MoreCoffee did.)

It’s only the intellectually challenged voters here that are impressed, or depressed, by that sort of thing. (Oops! That might be a lot of people.)

==============================================================================================

Albion (Post #10): Not quite the equal of the post-WWII Italian Republic but a challenger for the title maybe.

After WWII, Australia opened its arms to a flood of refugees from Europe. Italians were the largest non-English speaking group. If we’d let a few more in, maybe we would be the champ.

Albion (Post #15, 17}: (Various revelations about Aussie politicians.)

And people probably thought that Australia was a dull place.

And I don’t think we consider ourselves second rate, as such. We simply don’t feel the need to go around telling everybody else how good our country is. Word has got around, anyway. Ask the “boat people” who risk their lives travelling thousands of kilometres (miles) across oceans just to get here.

Josiah (Post #19): Perhaps because a certain Australian among us seems OBSESSED with ridiculing and controlling the USA...

I rather think that that person likes pushing people’s buttons, for fun. From memory, he tried pushing mine once or twice. He seems to have found a few people he can have continuing fun with.

He could have a go at me again if he wanted to, to give those people a break. But I don’t think the reaction would be the same.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Josiah (Post #19): Perhaps because a certain Australian among us seems OBSESSED with ridiculing and controlling the USA...

I rather think that that person likes pushing people’s buttons, for fun. From memory, he tried pushing mine once or twice. He seems to have found a few people he can have continuing fun with.

He could have a go at me again if he wanted to, to give those people a break. But I don’t think the reaction would be the same.[/color]

Topics ought not push any buttons, they are just discussion points. And worldly political leaders are not truly representative of a nation, though some people treat them as if they were. So the demise of Malcolm Turnbull and the perfidy of Donald Trump is just part of the passing parade of worldly leadership. It really isn't anything to get worked up about. Not really.

:smirk:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Not pushing any buttons seems to be about the same as pushing people’s buttons--if we judge by that post. :dunno:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Not pushing any buttons seems to be about the same as pushing people’s buttons--if we judge by that post. :dunno:

There are no buttons to push. Just topics to discuss.

Top Bottom