Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
There's a chorus - a sort of minihymn - where the lyric "shine Jesus shine" is repeated. Now that got me to thinking. Jesus said "I am the light of the world"
Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying: “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me does not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.” (John 8:12)​
And Jesus also said "you are the light of the world"
You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden. And they do not light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, so that it may shine to all who are in the house. So then, let your light shine in the sight of men, so that they may see your good works, and may glorify your Father, who is in heaven. (Matthew 5:14-16)​
So, which is it? Is Jesus the light of the world, Jesus alone or is there some way that Christians and Jesus both can be the light of the world?

I can hazard an explanation, but you may not agree. I think that Jesus is exclusively the light of the world. No one else is. Just as Jesus is the saviour of the world and no one else is. But I also think that Christians are the light of the world by being in Christ. The passages quoted above offer a description of what being the light of the world means. For Christians it is shining in the darkness and I dare say not being overcome by it. But that is what Jesus is,
And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it. (John 1:5)​
In this quote "comprehend" ought to be taken in a wide sense that includes some archaic meanings of the word. Comprehend here means overcome, surround, and understand.

Now that makes me think of another aspect of light, that is comprehension in the sense of understanding. Saint Paul says
But the spiritual nature of man judges all things, and he himself may be judged by no man. For who has known the mind of the Lord, so that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ. (1Corinthians 2:15-16)​
And one more thing said by saint Paul is this
For now I rejoice in my passion on your behalf, and I complete in my flesh the things that are lacking in the Passion of Christ, for the sake of his body, which is the Church. For I have become a minister of the Church, according to the dispensation of God that has been given to me among you, so that I may fulfil the Word of God, the mystery which had remained hidden to past ages and generations, but which now is manifested to his saints. To them, God willed to make known the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ and the hope of his glory within you. We are announcing him, correcting every man and teaching every man, with all wisdom, so that we may offer every man perfect in Christ Jesus. In him, too, I labour, striving according to his action within me, which he works in virtue. (Colossians 1:24-29)​
Does saint Paul teach that his sufferings for the sake of the gospel are redemptive like the suffering of Christ is redemptive and would that imply that Christians also participate in the redemption of the world, saving the world from sin and darkness because they are in Christ? Is the mystery of the union of the body of Christ so deep and so complete that Christians also save the world from sins?

I think that it does mean that, with some qualifications, and with some mystery that cannot be explained because it is not yet fully revealed. So Jesus alone is the light of the world yet Christians in Christ are the light of the world and I propose that Jesus alone is the saviour of the world and yet Christians are the saviour of the world too through their incorporation in Christ.

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I would be extremely leery of promoting christians being saviors of the world because of their incorporation in Christ because that is not a biblical concept and would that also not lead people away from the Savior but to other people which is also not biblical? I do believe cults are begun with such statements as you have made.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
WaitWhat!? Shine Jesus Shine just got to Australia? Man...you sure are down under...
I took that song to be loosely based upon "this little light of mine." Although Shine Jesus Shine is less man-centered.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I would be extremely leery of promoting christians being saviors of the world because of their incorporation in Christ because that is not a biblical concept and would that also not lead people away from the Savior but to other people which is also not biblical? I do believe cults are begun with such statements as you have made.

Saint Paul thought that people had to hear the gospel from somebody. The somebody is very likely to be a Christian I think.
Romans 10:13-17 For all those who have called upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Then in what way will those who have not believed in him call upon him? Or in what way will those who have not heard of him believe in him? And in what way will they hear of him without preaching? And truly, in what way will they preach, unless they have been sent, just as it has been written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who evangelize peace, of those who evangelize what is good!” But not all are obedient to the Gospel. For Isaiah says: “Lord, who has believed our report?” Therefore, faith is from hearing, and hearing is through the Word of Christ.​

Top Bottom