Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
is being a part of a particular denomination important to you? Would you or do you go to churches of different denominations?
Why do you go to the denomination you go to?

I was raised in the Methodist church, but started attending a Baptist church when I was 18. I was invited by a friend and since I worked during the day on Sunday and they had a Sunday evening service at the Baptist church I started going there. I felt like i was growing there in maturity as a believer, so I decided to join.

meluckycharms

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I think that the vast majority of church going Christians have absolutely no reason for holding to a particular denomination other than because it was the denomination of their upbringing. This is because systematic theology is woefully lacking in many churches. Ask any Christian why they are not Lutheran, Methodist, Baptists, Presbyterian, ect... and more often than not, they have no clue. I don't think this is necessarily a problem. I dont hold one denomination superior to another. I just think it is better for someone to make a well informed decision on adenomination for themselves rather than cling to the testimony of their parents. Just my opinion.

In regards to the OP, I have no problem attending any church denomination. I think that as a whole, most denominations have something beautiful to contribute to christianity. Whether it is the sacramental traditions of the Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox, the Holiness traditions of the Methodist, the Charismatic tradition of the Pentecostal, the Evangelical traditions of the Baptist, even the various incarnational and social justice traditions have something beautiful to bring to the table. It is all about balance and holding onto what is good.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The denomination I belong to is what I believe is better in line with what the bible teaches. That is why I remain there. I have studied other denominations when I tried to leave Lutheranism over 2 decades ago and I disagreed with their beliefs because it went against what scripture clearly said. It's important for me to stay since I cannot go somewhere where I feel they teach differently than what the bible says.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
is being a part of a particular denomination important to you? Would you or do you go to churches of different denominations?

I was raised in the Methodist church, but started attending a Baptist church when I was 18. I was invited by a friend and since I worked during the day on Sunday and they had a Sunday evening service at the Baptist church I started going there. I felt like i was growing there in maturity as a believer, so I decided to join.

Denominational membership is OPTIONAL.

It is permitted for individual Christians to be autonomous, independent, and to stay away from other Christians and not cooperate or help them in ministry - to be a loner - and not be a part of a congregation of Christians
I think the Bible discourages this but doens't forbid it. MY opinion is that it's dangerous to our spiritual health and our ministry, I think it's stupid, but I would not tell the perhaps HALF of Christians in the world that their not being an active part of a congregation is sinning and that it is MANDATED we join and participate in a local church.

It is permitted for individual congregations to be autonomous, independent, and to stay away from other congregations/parishes/churches and not cooperate or help them in ministry - to be a loner - and not be a part of a Christian denomination of churches.
The Bible says nothing about denominations, but it does show churches cooperating at least in very limited ways. MY opinion is that non-denom congregations/parishes are a bad idea, but I would never tell the millions of non-denom churches around the world that they are invalid or sinful (just not wise).

Individual Christians join together in congregations for the same reason as individual congregations join together in denominations - Christian is to congregation as congregation is to denomination. This joining - bonding - associating is done for the sake of mutual support, edification, cooperation and accountability. Those individual Christians and parishes who INSIST on being loners, who INSIST congregations and denominations are bad and every individual person and church MUST be a loner, ignoring all others, are IMO pursuing a wrong path BUT I would not condemn them as sinning - just being foolish.

Now, MOST denominations (like MOST congregations) have an official statement of faith (Creed) - a clear written statement of what they teach and confess. Not all hold to it much (UMC, Episcopal Church in the USA, for example), others quite strongly, but most at least HAVE some formal statement. IMO, this is the MOST IMPORTANT reason for a congregation to be or not be a part of a denomination. Theology matters. Doctrine matters. Truth matters. Just as I would reject joining a congregation because the pastor is handsome and we like the refreshments (but don't agree with its teachings - or even know what they are) so I would reject a congregation being a part of a denomination simply because they like the heritage or colleges or the cool Sunday School stuff.

I left a denomination for one reason: I could not declare by docilic submission to a FEW unique, new dogmas of that denomination as I was required to do; it had 100% to do with DOCTRINE of the denomination. I joined a congregation of a different denomination for one reason: The DOCTRINE of that denomination.

My half cent.

- Josiah

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes

I attend a congregation affiliated with the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod because that denomination is most closely in line with the teachings found in Scripture and elaborated upon by the Wittenberg Reformers in the texts that comprise the Lutheran Confessions. As this is my belief, I feel no need to worship with Christians of other fellowships/ denominations. As a Lutheran, I've grown far more as a Christian than ever I had either as a Baptist or a Catholic ( and I am still growing, by the grace of God). I am a member of this denomination because it preaches the clear Word ( with proper division between Law and Gospel) and administers the Holy Sacraments, which also strengthen my faith.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I attend a congregation affiliated with the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod because that denomination is most closely in line with the teachings found in Scripture and elaborated upon by the Wittenberg Reformers in the texts that comprise the Lutheran Confessions. As this is my belief, I feel no need to worship with Christians of other fellowships/ denominations. As a Lutheran, I've grown far more as a Christian than ever I had either as a Baptist or a Catholic ( and I am still growing, by the grace of God). I am a member of this denomination because it preaches the clear Word ( with proper division between Law and Gospel) and administers the Holy Sacraments, which also strengthen my faith.

i have had thoughts about visiting a Lutheran church just to see what it is like. There is one literally 3 miles from my house

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
i have had thoughts about visiting a Lutheran church just to see what it is like. There is one literally 3 miles from my house

Just be aware that there are TWO Lutheran Churches in the US ... one very Biblical and one very liberal.
(I don’t know about world wide).

So if a gay, female pastor is leading the service, don’t give up on all Lutheran Churches. :)
And if you encounter a bunch of “saved” people, then you found one of the good Lutheran Churches. ;)

JSales

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The guys who call it a demon instead of a denom most likely had some personal incident happen within their particular church and not the denomination itself.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Just be aware that there are TWO Lutheran Churches in the US ... one very Biblical and one very liberal.

So if a gay, female pastor is leading the service, don’t give up on all Lutheran Churches. :)
And if you encounter a bunch of “saved” people, then you found one of the good Lutheran Churches. ;)
More than 2 in the US, atpollard, but certainly they are not the same in their theology.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I don't care about denominations themselves. However, theology matters and some denominations express Godward theology better than others.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
atpollard said:

So if a gay, female pastor is leading the service, don’t give up on all Lutheran Churches.
And if you encounter a bunch of “saved” people, then you found one of the good Lutheran Churches.

Yup, like most faith communities, there are liberal and conservative branches/denominations....

In the USA, 95% or so or Lutherans congregations are in two major Lutheran denominations. The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is quite liberal, the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod is conservative and biblical (the much smaller Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Church is also conservative and biblical)

Last edited:

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I have read a couple of things from the Missouri Synod about church building and congregations becoming engaged, a great read and a great plan to grow a church and develop disciples

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

It says they are a ELCA congregation. Looks like that is the liberal group

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It says they are a ELCA congregation. I'm not sure what that is. Is that bad or good?

PROBABLY not a good thing.... but check it out anyway. Any Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (or Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Church) congregations near enough to you?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
PROBABLY not a good thing.... but check it out anyway. Any Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (or Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Church) congregations near enough to you?

There is one in a town about 20 minutes away. I noticed they have a couple of sermons on youtube I am going to check out

Top Bottom