Church peer pressure does it happen to you?

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Does your church bully you into thinking or behaving a certain way? There are churches who put a lotta peer pressure on its members to perform in a way they expect do you find this in your church at all?

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The Pentecostal church I attended expected me to always bounce off the walls basically, like to encourage worship or stir up the spirit. I actually did so but not because they wanted me to, but then one day I was just getting over the flue and was still sick and sore and I sat in the pews and at the end of service my fellow usher came up to me and asked if I wanted him to pray over me because he "sensed demons", he didn't know I wasnt feeling well so I explained it to him and then another came up and said the same thing basically.
I was really offended and hesitant to return, I returned once more tho and I just couldn't get into it because I felt they were judging me so I never went back.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Does your church bully you into thinking or behaving a certain way? There are churches who put a lotta peer pressure on its members to perform in a way they expect do you find this in your church at all?

At this church I attend now I don't feel any bullying but it's a tiny church. At my other church, although it wasn't part of the services or anything, I did feel obligated to attend most of their events as well as private things that I was invited to attend. As an introvert it was a little stressful.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm not a member of a church and haven't been for about 11 years now. There is a non denominational church that seems very rigid in its beliefs and it did stop fellowship with a few people a year or so ago and that caused some controversy. The pastor seems really sensitive to any criticism about his teaching. He tends to really seem to enjoy the sound of his own voice. I looked online and most of his sermons are about 45 minutes long

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes

I belong to a small church that has a lot of friendly people in it, so I can't say I feel pressured or bullied to think or feel a certain way at all. Most of them are politically quite conservative, but in conversation, they seem open to hearing other points of view.

TangledWeb

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have experienced pressure to watch my mouth in front of other Christians but isn't that how we should be anyway. Once I get back home it's like ahhh I can be me again without the judgment.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
The church I attend is around 250 on a Sunday. I have felt no pressure. We're a Reformed Baptist and the emphasis is on extending grace to others.
We have had to discipline a couple members for sins that are egregious and condemned by God in scripture. In those cases we follow the prescriptions laid out in Matthew 18.

Top Bottom