Those icky Christians!

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
What turns others off about Christianity?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes

Ghandi is credited as saying, "“I like Christ, I do not like Christians." Actually, I understand, he never did - but I think the point is valid anyway.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
1. Ghandi is credited as saying, "“I like Christ, I do not like Christians." Actually, I understand, he never did - but I think the point is valid anyway.

2. I think often the problem is less with Jesus than it is with churches..... Truth is, the institutional church comes out of ROME and has all those Roman characteristics of an obsession with institutionalism, centralization, control, power, authority and self-preservation/promotion. And I think this turns off a lot of people. PERSONALLY, I'm affirming of congregations and denominations of them, but I agree there has been a LOT of egoism, institutionalism, power-plays and it often does stink. Christianity is about CHRIST not belonging to and being submissive to some denomination. We've too often focused on the church rather than the Christ.

3. And I think that often "the message" people get is all about non-essentials that actually side track people from the Gospel. Gotta this, gotta that. Can't be a Christian if you don't believe Balaam's Ass actually spoke. If you baptize a baby, you're going to hell. If you con't speak in tongues, you are going to hell. If you don't cross yourself like I do, you are going to hell. Christians seem to LOVE to talk about everything but Jesus.... seem to LOVE to stress everything but the Gospel. Way too much Law and stuff..... way too little "Jesus saves."

4. Mother Theresa probably did Christianity more good than anything or anyone in the 20th Century..... there's too few Mother Theresas among us.

5. Christianity has been horribly impacted by radical individualism and relativism (on top of the radical institutionalism)

6. Most Christians are universalists so evangelism is irrelevant. Every human, dog, and bunny rabbit gets a burial and is believed to now be in heaven.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Ghandi is credited as saying, "“I like Christ, I do not like Christians." Actually, I understand, he never did - but I think the point is valid anyway.

The quote (genuine or not) is I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. It continues with these words The materialism of affluent Christian countries appears to contradict the claims of Jesus Christ that says it's not possible to worship both Mammon and God at the same time.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Most of my clients will self identify as christians even if they don't go to church. I think it is because they see the lack of maturity in the church and that most believers aren't much different than the world. Which is true

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I've heard non-christians complain about not being able to do the sinful things they enjoy as Christians...or at least the things they've heard some other Christians tell them they can no longer do.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I've heard non-christians complain about not being able to do the sinful things they enjoy as Christians...or at least the things they've heard some other Christians tell them they can no longer do.
That's so funny tho because I actually enjoy not doing the things I used to do, I enjoy not being dependent on drugs to get me out of the bed or to have a good time, I enjoy not worrying about going to jail for driving home drunk after a bar or party, I enjoy not getting attached to one night stands or getting put into dangerous situation over a loose woman. I enjoy not cussing like a sailor to fit in with my peers, I enjoy not smelling of booze and being hungover every day, I enjoy not being tagged in photos and videos where I am wasted, puking or humiliating myself.
Indeed I enjoy food and not starving myself due to heavy drug use, I enjoy not being paranoid and worried all the time. I enjoy seeing my family instead avoiding them, I enjoy having a healthy relationship with them, I enjoy respecting them. I enjoy not be angry and being bitter to people all the time, I enjoy seeing the good in every one and I enjoy giving spiritual support and helping the less fortunate (putting others first). I enjoy reading helpful literature instead of the latest gossip. I enjoy smiling, laughing and crying tears of joy and have real emotion again.
What is there NOT to love about being a Christian? It is so much better than being a mean old atheist or an anti-Christian and I most certainly rejoice in my savior who comforts me daily and who loves me despite if my sins.
[emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

TangledWeb

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship

Hypocrites turn others off about Christianity and that is because we as believers are saying that we are being made holy and then they see that was revealed to be a lie each time we sin.

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Did Ghandi say that because he discovered Christians are exactly like him in doing right and wrong things daily?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Did Ghandi say that because he discovered Christians are exactly like him in doing right and wrong things daily?

The quote sounds like Gandhi admired Jesus but was not quite so admiring of Christians. I can see why that might be so.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The quote sounds like Gandhi admired Jesus but was not quite so admiring of Christians. I can see why that might be so.

Perhaps it was because it was like looking in a mirror when he saw Christians?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't like it when Christians argue without really listening to what the other person is saying.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The quote from Gandhi is
I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. It continues with these words The materialism of affluent Christian countries appears to contradict the claims of Jesus Christ that says it's not possible to worship both Mammon and God at the same time.
Perhaps it was because it was like looking in a mirror when he saw Christians?

I don't like it when Christians argue without really listening to what the other person is saying.

Gandhi was as fault prone as many people are. That is not really the point. His comment was about Jesus being admirable but his followers being not so admirable.

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Top Bottom