need advice

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I didn't even know there was an advice forum here! lol. I really should come out from the women's forum more often.

This request is not so much for "Christian" advice - though I am a Christian and I need advice, I'm not so sure it's a matter of Christian advice. If that makes any sense at all.

I live in a townhouse. My furnace leaks gas and I need a new one, and I have a ducted system. It's also extremely hot where I live, and this heat is supposed to be the new normal for this area. I want to install a/c. Apparently, a ducted furnace with traditional a/c will cost an extra $100 (or more) per month during May through the first half of September. That's a lot every month. But I hear heat pump split a/c would be cheaper to run. Another option is to install a regular furnace with separate wall units for each room that sort of runs like a mini heat pump.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Plus, since our units are townhouses, they are supposed to be completely separated from each other. But my unit gets second hand marijuana smoke from my neighbour. Any ideas what's up with that?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Some thoughts....
1. I do not believe that A/C costs anything. Yeah..... maybe.... the electric bill goes up $50 or even $100 a month (in the case of my house, it's in that range at the very peak - which is typically August and September). My parents did NOT have A/C most of the years that I grew up in their house (it's close to the beach and A/C isn't needed often). BUT whenever it was hot, Mom refused to cook - so the family went out for dinner. How much does that cost? And maybe we all went to the mall to stay cool, and while there bought sodas and snacks and of course my sister found clothes she couldn't live without. How much does that cost? And we all went to the movies with the added plus that the theater always had AC running like crazy. Tickets, sodas, candy, popcorn. How much does that cost? Ah.... then they got central A/C and saved tons of money.

2. Central A/C connected to the FAU is the best in terms of comfort and there are surprisingly efficient units available. But it might cost you $3000 - $4000 to add it to the FAU. However, you'll get every dime of that back when you sell the house.

3. Room A/C unites are far less expensive to buy and you can take them with you when you move. You can cool ONLY the rooms you want cooled and thus can be less expensive to run (although they typically are far less efficient). But houses are not always wired for all the power they take and they are ugly and if you leave them will decrease the value of your home. IF it cools down nice at night and you really only need to cool the living room and family room during the day, this might be the way to go. And if you are renting, the only way to go. Just be aware of the electrical circuits and the power draw of the unit.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I would look into that ductwork to make sure you wouldn't be cooling that neighbor's townhome!

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Josiah, I could only wish that I could eat out and go to the movies every night! lol. That would cost more than my mortgage, though! I do eat a lot of salads, but our hot season goes from about April through September, and now that I'm getting older, I just can't cope with that kind of heat for that long. I have a room a/c for the living room, and my son has one in his room. His works for the most part, but the one in the living room can't keep up. Our patio gets a lot of late afternoon heat. If I'm lucky, the a/c will stay below 75 F. Typically, though it hovers closer to 78-80. The rest of the house is crazy-hot.

I will likely be living here for a long while - probably at least another 10 years, so I'd like something a little more permanent. It sounds like you are recommending regular gas furnace with central (ducted) a/c.

Right, Lamb. I finally got an email back from the strata manager, who is going to forward my email to the council. I have to wait for them to email her back and then a week or two later she will forward their email to me. Very frustrating. My realtor today suggested that I contact the strata management association - apparently, this association oversees and regulates strata. I'll probably contact them if I don't hear from the management before the end of the month. She forwarded my email about marijuana as well as asking the specs allowed for a/c.

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Wouldn't it be easier to get one hvac unit instead of trying to maintain multiple ones? On the downside of course is if it goes out then the entire thing needs maintenance.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I didn't even know there was an advice forum here! lol. I really should come out from the women's forum more often.

This request is not so much for "Christian" advice - though I am a Christian and I need advice, I'm not so sure it's a matter of Christian advice. If that makes any sense at all.

I live in a townhouse. My furnace leaks gas and I need a new one, and I have a ducted system. It's also extremely hot where I live, and this heat is supposed to be the new normal for this area. I want to install a/c. Apparently, a ducted furnace with traditional a/c will cost an extra $100 (or more) per month during May through the first half of September. That's a lot every month. But I hear heat pump split a/c would be cheaper to run. Another option is to install a regular furnace with separate wall units for each room that sort of runs like a mini heat pump.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Plus, since our units are townhouses, they are supposed to be completely separated from each other. But my unit gets second hand marijuana smoke from my neighbour. Any ideas what's up with that?

Putting in central air conditioning can be relatively cheap if you already have the ducting in place, and arguably makes more sense than fitting a whole new system. That said central air, like central heating, gives a clue as to what it does in the name. If you don't want to be cooling your entire house you'll need some form of room-based thermostat and an ability to restrict the flow of cool air to individual rooms. At a stroke the system becomes more complex than "cool air, pump cool air into the duct".

If you add central air to your house I would expect it to increase the value when you come to resell it, but that doesn't help you if you'll struggle to pay the upfront cost. Window units can be a real hassle to fit and remove every year (unless they are hugely well insulated, or you live somewhere with very mild winters, you'll want to take them out in the winter or they'll cause a lot of heat loss) but they are relatively cheap and you can limit the cooling to the rooms you're in at the time.

I find $100/month a surprising figure to run air conditioning. I try and be reasonably conservative with mine so as to keep the price sensible but during the hotter parts of summer I've usually got a 10,000BTU window unit running for most of the day, then at least one smaller window unit (I think the one in the bedroom is 6,000BTU) running all night. If it's really hot my wife and I sometimes struggle to sleep so one of us will sleep in the guest bedroom and run another window unit. If I'm working in the study for a time we'll sometimes have three window units running. That very seldom adds more than $40/month to our electricity bill. If you live somewhere like Arizona then it will cost more, but also if you live in a townhouse and are joined on to neighbors on either side you'd expect to get at least some heat insulation from the fact those walls aren't exposed to the outside.

If you're getting smoke from your neighbor's house it's probably worth getting someone to check the ducting when they come to do whatever work is needed. If one of you is ducting warm air to the other it could turn out that your neighbor is paying for some of your heat, but at least if you shut that duct off you'll be spared the secondhand MJ smoke as a benefit that comes with paying a bit more for your own heat.

Just to pick up on what Josiah said about the power draw of window units. You do need to consider the total power draw but a lot of what is said about them gives the impression they draw far more power than they actually draw. The unit I have in my study is rated at 8,000BTU and when it's running it draws something in the region of 4-5amps. On a 20amp circuit that gives a lot of slack of other things so it really doesn't need to be on its own circuit. The thing to be aware of is that when the compressor turns on the current spikes briefly - with just the fan running it draws about half an amp, when the compressor fires up it spikes to about 10amps for a split second, then drops back to 4-5amps. Typically a breaker won't trip in response to a very brief spike but if you do have two units on the same circuit and they both spike at the same time it might trip a breaker, especially if you've got other things on the circuit. Be conscious of other appliances on the same circuit that might also cause brief spikes - although the chance of the spikes occurring at the same time is fairly slim you don't want to find you wake up in a bath of sweat to find the air conditioners have stopped working because they tripped the breaker, and you have to find the panel and turn it back on in the dark. Anything that performs cooling (air conditioners, fridges, freezers etc) will cause spikes, as will things like laser printers. You can run an air conditioner on a suitably rated extension cord (just don't be using the ones you get for $1.99 at the dollar store, go for one rated for 10A or better) but the trailing cables get to be a nuisance as well as a trip hazard.

Top Bottom