Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.
Mark 10:17-18
--------------

I wish to address this statement alone regardless of the surrounding context but if you must you may use the surrounding context if it helps your argument.

What is your reaction to Jesus's response when he says "why call me good?"?.

Jesus is doing God's will and God's will is good...
I also see it as Jesus being the True mediator between God and man thus we point to him and he redirects us straight to God.
I have read online from those who have flipped it in a way that he was merely a man who grew to obedience like unto a guru and just another new age "ascended master".
I haven't searched any commentary yet so I decided to post here first.

Also, this verse reminds me of another in Revelation 22:9 when John bows down to the messenger.
---------------
But he said, "No, don't worship me. I am a servant of God, just like you and your brothers the prophets, as well as all who obey what is written in this book. Worship only God!"
---------------
Your thoughts?

Last edited:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

Jesus is declaring himself to be God.
Jesus notes that no one is good. All our righteousness is as filthy rags. If Jesus is a mere man, he cannot be good. Therefore Jesus must be God.
Second, Jesus is setting up the person to realize that nothing can be done to earn or merit salvation. Jesus is about to shatter this man's self-righteousness.
We can note that many still attempt to merit their own salvation and seek to know what they must do. If they hear what Jesus is saying they will find their worldview shattered.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Jesus notes that no one is good. All our righteousness is as filthy rags. If Jesus is a mere man, he cannot be good. Therefore Jesus must be God.
Second, Jesus is setting up the person to realize that nothing can be done to earn or merit salvation. Jesus is about to shatter this man's self-righteousness.
We can note that many still attempt to merit their own salvation and seek to know what they must do. If they hear what Jesus is saying they will find their worldview shattered.
So, for these modern day individuals that proclaim "ascended master!", its like the man proclaiming "Good Master!" and that they are asking for instructions from a "good" mere man?
-thus Jesus points to God instead of his human appearance as man?
I agree so don't be confused with my imitation of a curious foe...
I seek out methods of approaching these individuals in online discussions.
Believe it or not but there are some locals (knowitall "star children") that simply "admire" Jesus as a guru from Tibet or something, and I always plead they read the word before being so certain. Perhaps some hear me I don't know but I do wish to corner them with logic.
The love of God involves conviction otherwise we just tell God what to do for us, I pray these kids do more research and scriptural division/discernment before accepting him as a cultish guru with well manner.

Last edited:

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think Christians normally ignore the obvious understanding of the passage, that Jesus objected to being called good. For him, only the Father was completely good. For Jesus to object, though, kind of suggests that there was something in the way the person regarded him that was off. It's hard to be more specific.

This even makes sense in a Trinitarian context, since the Father is the source of the Trinity, including its goodness. But it would be anachronistic to think that Jesus was thinking in those terms.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
MennoSota said:

I agree....

I think this is yet another place where Jesus is stating His divinity. And it "fits" with the point: Justification is something only Jesus can and does do - in part because no mere human is sinless and can even justify himself; we need to be SAVED not just helped or taught or inspired. It's hard to to BETTER than God - and thus "make up" for the ways we've "missed the mark" (sinned). We must be SAVED from on high, we need a perfect SAVIOR.

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.
--------------

I wish to address this statement alone regardless of the surrounding context but if you must you may use the surrounding context if it helps your argument.

What is your reaction to Jesus's response when he says "why call me good?"?.

Jesus is doing God's will and God's will is good...
I also see it as Jesus being the True mediator between God and man thus we point to him and he redirects us straight to God.
I have read online from those who have flipped it in a way that he was merely a man who grew to obedience like unto a guru and just another new age "ascended master".
I haven't searched any commentary yet so I decided to post here first.

Also, this verse reminds me of another in Revelation 22:9 when John bows down to the messenger.
---------------
But he said, "No, don't worship me. I am a servant of God, just like you and your brothers the prophets, as well as all who obey what is written in this book. Worship only God!"
---------------
Your thoughts?

I always kinda thought this addressed the two natures of Jesus who is both man and God.

Top Bottom