Changed Morality in the Catholic Church

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Some denominations supported slavery in the 19th century, some supported segregation in the 20th century, most changed their teaching as time moved on and moral sensibilities became more acute. The death penalty is a case in point. Once it was far too costly and hence unthinkable for a state to keep murderers in prison for life and nobody really had much of an idea about how to rehabilitate anybody but now that is not so.

i agree with this. rehabilitative measures have been shown to have much better outcomes than punitive measures, although such punitive measures may still be a part of sentencing guidelines. Removal of the death penalty, I suppose, in favor of less harsh measures (along with a rehabilitative structure while incarcerated or otherwise) could be a step in the right direction.

Changes in practical moral applications of biblical teaching is to be expected when changes in society and technology as well as human wisdom occur.

I suppose this is where I would question whether the change in moral application would be analogous to changed morality as a whole. Is morality an individual or corporate concern, or both? And does this change in doctrine by the Catholic Church actually result in a changed "morality" as suggested by the OP?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
i agree with this. rehabilitative measures have been shown to have much better outcomes than punitive measures, although such punitive measures may still be a part of sentencing guidelines. Removal of the death penalty, I suppose, in favor of less harsh measures (along with a rehabilitative structure while incarcerated or otherwise) could be a step in the right direction.

I suppose this is where I would question whether the change in moral application would be analogous to changed morality as a whole. Is morality an individual or corporate concern, or both? And does this change in doctrine by the Catholic Church actually result in a changed "morality" as suggested by the OP?
My problem is with human wisdom. Human wisdom at times goes against what Jesus taught so that is not an accurate guide for morality, the bible is

Top Bottom