CH Cash
      (5,693 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      78.22%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      Some denominations supported slavery in the 19th century, some supported segregation in the 20th century, most changed their teaching as time moved on and moral sensibilities became more acute. The death penalty is a case in point. Once it was far too costly and hence unthinkable for a state to keep murderers in prison for life and nobody really had much of an idea about how to rehabilitate anybody but now that is not so.
      i agree with this. rehabilitative measures have been shown to have much better outcomes than punitive measures, although such punitive measures may still be a part of sentencing guidelines. Removal of the death penalty, I suppose, in favor of less harsh measures (along with a rehabilitative structure while incarcerated or otherwise) could be a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      Changes in practical moral applications of biblical teaching is to be expected when changes in society and technology as well as human wisdom occur.
      I suppose this is where I would question whether the change in moral application would be analogous to changed morality as a whole. Is morality an individual or corporate concern, or both? And does this change in doctrine by the Catholic Church actually result in a changed "morality" as suggested by the OP?
      I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide...
      But I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride..
      - Dream Theater

psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (3,697,970 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      79.62%
      Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryDay2 View Post
      i agree with this. rehabilitative measures have been shown to have much better outcomes than punitive measures, although such punitive measures may still be a part of sentencing guidelines. Removal of the death penalty, I suppose, in favor of less harsh measures (along with a rehabilitative structure while incarcerated or otherwise) could be a step in the right direction.

I suppose this is where I would question whether the change in moral application would be analogous to changed morality as a whole. Is morality an individual or corporate concern, or both? And does this change in doctrine by the Catholic Church actually result in a changed "morality" as suggested by the OP?
      My problem is with human wisdom. Human wisdom at times goes against what Jesus taught so that is not an accurate guide for morality, the bible is
      Isaiah 40:31