Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The pope has changed the Catholics churches stance on the death penalty.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pope-francis-says-the-death-penalty-is-never-acceptable/

VATICAN CITY -- Pope Francis has changed church teaching about the death penalty, saying in a new policy published Thursday that it is always "inadmissible" because it "attacks" the inherent dignity of all humans.
The Vatican said Francis had approved a change to the Catechism of the Catholic Church - the compilation of official Catholic Church teaching. Previously, the catechism said the church didn't exclude recourse to capital punishment "if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor.""
The new teaching, contained in Catechism No. 2267, says the previous policy is outdated and that there are other ways to protect the common good.

Do you believe the death penalty is every appropriate or if it is biblical?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The pope has changed the Catholics churches stance on the death penalty.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pope-francis-says-the-death-penalty-is-never-acceptable/

VATICAN CITY -- Pope Francis has changed church teaching about the death penalty, saying in a new policy published Thursday that it is always "inadmissible" because it "attacks" the inherent dignity of all humans.
The Vatican said Francis had approved a change to the Catechism of the Catholic Church - the compilation of official Catholic Church teaching. Previously, the catechism said the church didn't exclude recourse to capital punishment "if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor.""
The new teaching, contained in Catechism No. 2267, says the previous policy is outdated and that there are other ways to protect the common good.

Do you believe the death penalty is every appropriate or if it is biblical?

I totally agree with the wording in the 1994 Catholic Catechism (2255 and 2267). I doubt the current pope is CHANGING this but rather voicing his (rather common Catholic) opinion... but yeah, Catholicism is ALWAYS changing and a changed Catechism is always in the works (as it is now), so we may see the current position change. But I like the current position.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I believe it is biblical but I also oppose it based on the number of wrongful convictions and the heavily slanted fact that there are a disproportionate blacks put to death. The fact that there are so many mistakes and the problems they have had in adnministering it makes me oppose it.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My position isn't covered in the poll.

But I very much agree with the (former) position of The Catholic Church in the (still authoritative) edition of its ever-changing Catechism, as outlined in post #2. I think the Bible PERMITS it but I would agree it is never necessary and should never be employed; I am in favor of its discontinuation.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I voted I Don't Know.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I voted I don't know as I don't but I am glad there is. Just wished there was in all 50 states.

Top Bottom