(No Debate) My pentecostal friends say ...

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I know a nice elderly couple who happen to be Pentecostal Christians. They are surprised by what they see in written some Christian forums about Catholic Christians not being real Christians, so it occurred to me that in my face to face experiences with Christians from all sorts of denominations and churches only a very few say to my face that Catholics are not Christians while in chat forums, such as this one, it is more than a "very few" who say that. I wonder why? Anyway, this is not a topic for debate but just an observation. I wonder if many/any of you who are not Catholic Christians are also told (more often in chat forums than face to face) that your variety of Christianity is not real Christianity?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have seen many different denoms proclaim that Catholics are not Christian. CH has always held that Catholics are brothers and sisters in Christ.

Lutherans have been mocked throughout history and yes, we've been told we're not Christian. Mainly we're told that because we state the gospel as being salvation by faith alone and not by works. When we tell others that their sins were forgiven by Jesus at the cross they get enraged.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I grew up in a heavy Catholic town and none of them told me I wasn't Christian. I got married in a Catholic church and not even the priest told me that :eek:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Great! So that priest told you that you are a FULL, EQUAL, UNseparated sisters in Christ, EQUALLY blessed by God as a Catholic? They've told you that The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod is a fully valid church and that all the clergy and Sacraments of the LCMS are equally valid with those of the RCC?

The priest never said anything negative toward my faith.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Last edited:

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The members of the church (Pentecostal) I went to said that Catholics are not true Christians and are headed for hell which made me upset because my grandparents were strict holy Catholics and were IMO better Christians than them. They never judged other Christians and in fact prayed daily for the world.
To say (or imply) that my grandparents are hell was just one of the reasons I stopped going to that church.
I can pretty much get along with any church just as long as they dont call their brothers and sisters in faith a "fool"... the Word says that is unforgivable and I hold it to heart.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
Aren't everyone else's beliefs ridiculous compared to ours?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Aren't everyone else's beliefs ridiculous compared to ours?

Only when their beliefs differ sharply from ours and if their beliefs are wrong. For all the rest their beliefs are fine.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I wouldn't say that the opinion of others has been that my Christianity isn't "real" per se, quite the opposite, but not Christianity in all it's fullness. I'm thinking of my brother and his family, mostly, and their opinion on things. But they certainly don't consider me any less a Christian because of our differences

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I wouldn't say that the opinion of others has been that my Christianity isn't "real" per se, quite the opposite, but not Christianity in all it's fullness. I'm thinking of my brother and his family, mostly, and their opinion on things. But they certainly don't consider me any less a Christian because of our differences

It is a very different thing to be told "your church doesn't teach the fullness of the gospel" and being told "your church and you yourself are not even really Christian" isn't it. The former is heard all the time in one form or another both in face to face contact and on online forums while the latter is rare in face to face conversations but less so online.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is a very different thing to be told "your church doesn't teach the fullness of the gospel" and being told "your church and you yourself are not even really Christian" isn't it. The former is heard all the time in one form or another both in face to face contact and on online forums while the latter is rare in face to face conversations but less so online.

People feel a boldness online that they would never have in a face to face conversation. I had a friend who was so sweet but flamed people left and right while on a Christian site. It amazes me how that shield of the internet gives way to an ugly character.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
People feel a boldness online that they would never have in a face to face conversation. I had a friend who was so sweet but flamed people left and right while on a Christian site. It amazes me how that shield of the internet gives way to an ugly character.

I wonder if they'd all be less mean and nasty if they had to use their real name and give their telephone number!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I wonder if they'd all be less mean and nasty if they had to use their real name and give their telephone number!

Don't forget an updated photo :)

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I know a nice elderly couple who happen to be Pentecostal Christians. They are surprised by what they see in written some Christian forums about Catholic Christians not being real Christians, so it occurred to me that in my face to face experiences with Christians from all sorts of denominations and churches only a very few say to my face that Catholics are not Christians while in chat forums, such as this one, it is more than a "very few" who say that. I wonder why? Anyway, this is not a topic for debate but just an observation. I wonder if many/any of you who are not Catholic Christians are also told (more often in chat forums than face to face) that your variety of Christianity is not real Christianity?

If someone said that my faith wasn't being a true christian to me I would consider it stupid and not worthy of a response. I wouldn't waste my energy arguing about it. I've heard Catholics say that the only true church is theirs and regard Protestants as less than true believers, but I think the ones who say that are in the minority

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
If someone said that my faith wasn't being a true christian to me I would consider it stupid and not worthy of a response. I wouldn't waste my energy arguing about it. I've heard Catholics say that the only true church is theirs and regard Protestants as less than true believers, but I think the ones who say that are in the minority

Thanks be to God that such people are in a minority now and pray that it remains so.

On an online forum it is worth giving a response because some (perhaps many) read without responding and among the readers a few (pray that it is many) will see the goodness of God in the responses and turn to God to receive his grace and goodness in their lives.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Yes again thank God that they are in the minority.
It's a shame that one is forced out of a denomination (by choice) because of it's (said denomination) local church is bias when it may not reflect the whole denominations views at all. There are two Pentecostal churches in my town but I haven't bothered trying the other church in fear that it's just going to be the same mind.
We find them in every church cause they are always the ones to hold private studies where they may fanatically push radical views down your throat, including hellfire for any denomination but there own.
I hated the fact that once I walked outside the church, everyone I saw was going to hell... yeah that's not my approach at all.
So I left.
My dad had also that state of mind and told me that outside the Catholic church there is no salvation, my grandfather hated protestants and my great uncle was a priest... I am secure in my faith and so this didn't bother me, it's more of a misunderstanding of what "The Universal" Christian church meant back then and what it means now, regardless it still means The Church, which any one who believes is a part of "where 2 or 3 are gathered in Jesus name".
In Heaven we all praise the Lord!
I suppose we will all meet there face to face :)

Top Bottom