• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Christian Discussion - No Debate Archive (Read Only) - Thread: (No Debate) My pentecostal friends say ...

ImaginaryDay2 is offline Expert Member
      Supporting Member
      O Lord, You keep safe both man
      and animal.

Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      Canada
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,693 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      78.22%
      I wouldn't say that the opinion of others has been that my Christianity isn't "real" per se, quite the opposite, but not Christianity in all it's fullness. I'm thinking of my brother and his family, mostly, and their opinion on things. But they certainly don't consider me any less a Christian because of our differences
      I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide...
      But I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride..
      - Dream Theater

MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      27.25%
      Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryDay2 View Post
      I wouldn't say that the opinion of others has been that my Christianity isn't "real" per se, quite the opposite, but not Christianity in all it's fullness. I'm thinking of my brother and his family, mostly, and their opinion on things. But they certainly don't consider me any less a Christian because of our differences
      It is a very different thing to be told "your church doesn't teach the fullness of the gospel" and being told "your church and you yourself are not even really Christian" isn't it. The former is heard all the time in one form or another both in face to face contact and on online forums while the latter is rare in face to face conversations but less so online.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (165,993 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      7.28%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      It is a very different thing to be told "your church doesn't teach the fullness of the gospel" and being told "your church and you yourself are not even really Christian" isn't it. The former is heard all the time in one form or another both in face to face contact and on online forums while the latter is rare in face to face conversations but less so online.
      People feel a boldness online that they would never have in a face to face conversation. I had a friend who was so sweet but flamed people left and right while on a Christian site. It amazes me how that shield of the internet gives way to an ugly character.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      27.25%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      People feel a boldness online that they would never have in a face to face conversation. I had a friend who was so sweet but flamed people left and right while on a Christian site. It amazes me how that shield of the internet gives way to an ugly character.
      I wonder if they'd all be less mean and nasty if they had to use their real name and give their telephone number!
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (165,993 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      7.28%
      I wonder if they'd all be less mean and nasty if they had to use their real name and give their telephone number!
      Don't forget an updated photo
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

6. Likes MoreCoffee liked this post
      jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      69.08%
      I know a nice elderly couple who happen to be Pentecostal Christians. They are surprised by what they see in written some Christian forums about Catholic Christians not being real Christians, so it occurred to me that in my face to face experiences with Christians from all sorts of denominations and churches only a very few say to my face that Catholics are not Christians while in chat forums, such as this one, it is more than a "very few" who say that. I wonder why? Anyway, this is not a topic for debate but just an observation. I wonder if many/any of you who are not Catholic Christians are also told (more often in chat forums than face to face) that your variety of Christianity is not real Christianity?
      If someone said that my faith wasn't being a true christian to me I would consider it stupid and not worthy of a response. I wouldn't waste my energy arguing about it. I've heard Catholics say that the only true church is theirs and regard Protestants as less than true believers, but I think the ones who say that are in the minority

8. Likes MoreCoffee liked this post

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      27.25%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      Don't forget an updated photo
      Like a sheep served on a platter?

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      27.25%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      If someone said that my faith wasn't being a true christian to me I would consider it stupid and not worthy of a response. I wouldn't waste my energy arguing about it. I've heard Catholics say that the only true church is theirs and regard Protestants as less than true believers, but I think the ones who say that are in the minority
      Thanks be to God that such people are in a minority now and pray that it remains so.

On an online forum it is worth giving a response because some (perhaps many) read without responding and among the readers a few (pray that it is many) will see the goodness of God in the responses and turn to God to receive his grace and goodness in their lives.

11. Likes DHoffmann liked this post
      DHoffmann is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      Amused

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      12.17%
      Yes again thank God that they are in the minority.
      It's a shame that one is forced out of a denomination (by choice) because of it's (said denomination) local church is bias when it may not reflect the whole denominations views at all. There are two Pentecostal churches in my town but I haven't bothered trying the other church in fear that it's just going to be the same mind.
      We find them in every church cause they are always the ones to hold private studies where they may fanatically push radical views down your throat, including hellfire for any denomination but there own.
      I hated the fact that once I walked outside the church, everyone I saw was going to hell... yeah that's not my approach at all.
      So I left.
      My dad had also that state of mind and told me that outside the Catholic church there is no salvation, my grandfather hated protestants and my great uncle was a priest... I am secure in my faith and so this didn't bother me, it's more of a misunderstanding of what "The Universal" Christian church meant back then and what it means now, regardless it still means The Church, which any one who believes is a part of "where 2 or 3 are gathered in Jesus name".
      In Heaven we all praise the Lord!
      I suppose we will all meet there face to face