Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Even though we don't reap the benefits of salvation quite yet, we are saved by Jesus' blood, death and resurrection. There are those who don't think that Christians are saved in their lifetime though...does that mean they're only partly saved? Or not saved at all?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
It means they are wrong maybe?

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Let your answer be either yea yea or nay nay :)
It's either all or nothing thou doubt may linger around or come in and out in different stages of life. All I can say to that is keep doing what you're doing by keeping the faith and know that the Lord will never leave your side. Pray for those in doubt, I myself have what some may call religious OCD where my head often gets flooded with terrible thoughts that test my faith, I realize who holds the key to free me from that prison and God knows it's not easy, I am weak alone and without the Lord I have no strength.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Even though we don't reap the benefits of salvation quite yet, we are saved by Jesus' blood, death and resurrection. There are those who don't think that Christians are saved in their lifetime though...does that mean they're only partly saved? Or not saved at all?

I call that an opportunity to be saved.

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Have they heard of this one "for it is by grace you have been saved" ?

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Heb 6:4-6
For it is impossible for those who were previously Enlightened,
and have tasted of the Heavenly Gift,
and were made partakers of the Holy Spirit,
And have tasted the good Word of God,
and the Powers of the Age to Come,
If they shall fall away,
to renew them again unto repentance;
seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh,
and put him to an open shame.

We can only receive a "taste" of the Age to Come...

So we are enlightened in Baptism...
We therein receive a taste of the Heavenly Gift...
We taste the Good Word of God, eating His Flesh and drinking His Blood... [Communion]
We ARE MADE partakers of the Holy Spirit in the Anointing...
We receive a taste of the Powers of the Age to Come...

So we are given the Gift of Salvation...
And we are to Keep it by God's Grace...
We can LOSE it, if we should fall away...
We cannot receive Baptism again through repentanace...

So we are alreacy Saved...
And...
We are not yet Saved...

This Faith of Christ is a life-long struggle...
Of dying every day...
Taking up the Cross suffering for Christ...
In profound Love and Joy...

"For Behold!
Through the Cross is Joy...
Come unto all the world..."

When Paul preaches the Cross, he is preaching your suffering and his... And ours...
There is no Godly Joy apart from having suffered...
It is an essential part of the Cost of Discipleship...

Arsenios

TangledWeb

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship

Is there such a thing as partly adopted? Aren't you either adopted by God or not, there isn't a halfway point being described in my bible. "Wellll, your first name is written in the book of life but we're waiting to see how you fare with your works before your last name is entered" isn't at all what by grace through faith is about, not even close to being accurate. Anyone who confesses that they don't know about their salvation is too concerned with themselves instead of putting that focus where it belongs on God.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
If they shall fall away,

We taste the Good Word of God, eating His Flesh and drinking His Blood... [Communion]

And...
We are not yet Saved...

Of dying every day...

"For Behold!

When Paul preaches the Cross, he is preaching your suffering and his... And ours...

Arsenios
Amen Brother that's the truth!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Does God have you in the palm of His hand or are you dangling from his finger tips and holding on for dear life wondering if you're going to last? Which one is Gospel? Which one is Law?

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Does God have you in the palm of His hand or are you dangling from his finger tips and holding on for dear life wondering if you're going to last? Which one is Gospel? Which one is Law?
Yes!! Thank you "little lamb"! [emoji6]

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
==============================================================================================

Arsenios. Post #6:
If they shall fall away,

Matthew 6:28: Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Mark 9:1: And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

Luke 9:27: But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

John 8:52-52:
51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.
52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

Hebrews 2:9: But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man

==============================================================================================

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

If "salvation" here means justification (narrow) then no, one can't be a little bit saved any more than they can be a little bit pregnant, lol.... Either one is or is not. But if "salvation" here includes all of soteriology and thus also sanctification (narrow) then yes, we are all "in process", God not done with us yet, we being "finished" only in heaven. Think of it this way: When I was conceived, I was alive... fully. But until I die, I will be growing, maturing, becoming more the person God calls me to be (well, I should) a process that doesn't end until the moment of my death.

The problem with some theologies is that Jesus is denied as the Savior. Perhaps in stead of that, justification is seen as a synergistic, Pelagian process of God doing what He CAN (but unfortunately, this is totally inadequate) and self doing what God left undone (the part that actually results in our salvation). Thus, the Savior actually is each self. Thing is: MOST don't have the extreme ego to believe that they instantly became totally perfect, holy and loving (they still fall short - the definition of being a sinner) and they still struggle with doubts and they have a hard time trusting their emotions that hot Sunday when they said the Sinner's Prayer and come down for the Altar Call. Thus, they FEEL sorta saved..... hopefully..... ANYTIME salvation depends on self (even if just 0.0000000000000001%) there is fear, terror, uncertainty. When we look in the mirror rather than to the Cross, we see one who fails and whose feelings are undependable.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
If they shall fall away,

And...
We are not yet Saved...

Of dying every day...

"For Behold!

Arsenios
Boy you dump a lot of non biblical dogma into your post. Is the EO always creating theology from tradition rather than scripture? Your logic is just head shakingly bad.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
Ephesians 4:30

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

There is only situation that I can think of where being partly saved (whatever the implications of that are) could be deemed possible.

The situation is where a church teaches that:
- The rite of baptism saves an infant;
- Later, as an adult, that baptised child must confirm that saved status personally so that the saved status can be retained;
- There is no particular instant in time (later on) for a baptised infant (i.e. no precise age of accountability) beyond which that continuing saved status is in doubt.

Could it be that one or two organisations represented in CH have characteristics like that?

In the event of their being no age of accountability – no definable moment in time at which the transition from baptismal protection to personal responsibility occurs, a time by which commitment must take place – the transition must happen over a period of time; it must be a process.

I have seen no indication on CH of how long such a process would last, be it seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, or even years. But for sake of argument, lets say the process for a particular grown infant would take 4 months.

At the end of the first month, the person would still be ¾ protected by their baptism. At the end of the second month, they would be only ½ protected. And so on. During that period the person would be partly saved (progressively less saved) until either the period ended or that person made the required commitment.

And even if there were an age of accountability for each baptised baby, because no-one knows what that age is, it could well pass by without a person realising, and that would leave them endangered.

Unless of course it is said that infant baptism saves permanently.

Such are the problems associated with the teaching and practice of infant baptism.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The situation is where a church teaches that:
- The rite of baptism saves an infant;
- Later, as an adult, that baptised child must confirm that saved status personally so that the saved status can be retained;

Which churches insist that in order to have salvation status that a baptized infant MUST make confirmation? I've never heard of that one.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In the event of their being no age of accountability – no definable moment in time at which the transition from baptismal protection to personal responsibility occurs, a time by which commitment must take place – the transition must happen over a period of time; it must be a process.

Baptismal protection? How about God is at work in baptism like the scriptures say and He gives faith to infants just like God gives faith by His Word to adults for salvation?

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Is there a difference between partly saved and mostly dead, because Miracle Max proved that a person can be mostly dead. [emoji41]
94abf75a5bb1c0960bff616ea14e163c.jpg

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's kind of like is the cup half full or half empty...yet there is something in the cup.

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Some statements from the Baby-Baptising perspective, with respect to part salvation and baptised babies:

Which churches insist that in order to have salvation status that a baptized infant MUST make confirmation? I've never heard of that one.
Baptismal protection? How about God is at work in baptism like the scriptures say and He gives faith to infants just like God gives faith by His Word to adults for salvation?
It's kind of like is the cup half full or half empty...yet there is something in the cup.

Let’s try to cut through what some might consider waffle, by asking some simple questions, one at a time – simple questions to which simple Yes or No answers can be given.

Question 1. Are babies who have been subjected to a baptismal rite, permanently safe from ultimately going to Hell, irrespective of what they might individually do or not do later in life? (Assuming that each has been baptised by an “authorised” person.)

Depending on the simple and direct Yes or No answer to that question, the appropriate second question can be raised in my next Post.

Following that path, assuming that the simple and direct Yes or No answers are forthcoming, we will be able to progressively home in on how internally consistent the baby-baptising perspective is, when subjected to a modicum of reasonable questioning.

Of course, if the requested, simple and direct Yes or No answers are not forthcoming, could some people see that as a tacit defence of the indefensible?

Loyalty can prove to be a double-edged sword, can it not?

Top Bottom