Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
When did it become the normal for each child in the family to have his/her own bedroom? I remember growing up that there were a lot of families where children roomed with their siblings unless they were of the opposite sex. Even then they might have stayed in the same bedroom until pre-puberty.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Coming back to this thread...I was House Hunters and a LOT of parents refuse to put their children in the same room. I'm curious why they think that each child needs an entire room just for sleep and then they have a separate play room for playing aside from their living area and family rooms.

I watched Tiny House Nation and a family with 3 children has all the children in the loft together (2 boys and one girl). The young girl was already apprehensive about privacy from the boys and I hope that her family at least thinks to put in a curtain for her when she reaches puberty.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I had my own room when I lived with my parents..... in fact, until I was married, I never shared a bedroom.

Today, it's very common not only for kids to have their own bedroom but sometimes their own bathroom. My beloved and I have begun looking at houses (not too seriously) and new homes at least have a bath for each bedroom.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I shared a room with my parents when I was a baby, I really can't remember it but my mom told me. I shared a bedroom with my brother for just a few months when I was 8, he was 6. We were moving and in transition from one house to the other my dad rented an apartment. But since that time, I've always had my own room until I got married.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My two older sisters shared a room and I got my own room until I was 4yo when our youngest sister was born. I think she and I shared a room until she started kindergarten and then my parents put all three of my sisters into one room. It was tight for them but great for me :)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My sister and I were in a room until I was 7 and then my parents gave her her own room. We fought a lot so it was a good decision.

My husband had his own room because he was a boy but his sisters had to share a room until they moved out.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I had my own but I was an only child

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My oldest sister was a bit of a meany and picked on my other sister a lot. She used to pick on me too until I started getting bigger and she suddenly had an epiphany. Lol! she's mellowed out a lot as an adult but if you need back up she's great to have in your corner.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My oldest sister was a bit of a meany and picked on my other sister a lot. She used to pick on me too until I started getting bigger and she suddenly had an epiphany. Lol! she's mellowed out a lot as an adult but if you need back up she's great to have in your corner.

We have the same sister?? LOL

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm very unique (and blessed) because I got along really well with my two sibs (whether this had something to do with us each having our own bedroom or not, I can't say, lol).....

My brother is the oldest, 7 years older than me, and I idolized him, he was my hero, I tried to be like him and he was kind of protective of me and tried to help me (he knew I worshiped him). My sister is 3 years older and we were good friends. Don't tell anyone but I would play dolls and "tea" with her.... she's play basketball and surf and toss a baseball with me... She tried to help me with clothes and girls, lol.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think it may be more a financial issue than anything else. Some people can't afford a house big enough for all the kids to have their own room.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think it may be more a financial issue than anything else. Some people can't afford a house big enough for all the kids to have their own room.

Also possibly a result of the trend to have smaller families and larger houses.

If in years gone by a couple could afford a 4-bedroom house and had 7 children, some have to share. It's as simple as that.

Roll forward a few decades and it's much less common for a couple to have more than two or maybe three children, so that same 4-bedroom house has enough space for all the children to have their own room.

One thing that often surprises me is the way people who work for a living and have children sharing a bedroom because they can't afford a house big enough for everyone to have their own room, seem to be perfectly OK with people whose housing is paid for having a room for every child. It doesn't seem right that a working couple who can't afford a 4-bedroom house for them and three children to have individual rooms still pay tax so a couple on welfare with three kids can have that 4-bedroom house.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
On the Mexican side of the family we have a saying, “If there’s room on the floor there’s room for more.”

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I shared a room with my sister till we were ages 5 and 6, at which time we got our own rooms. My best friend had 8 brothers and sisters. The boys shared a room. The older sisters had their room and the younger sisters shared another room. They always made do, and when we would have sleep-overs, there was always room for me.

These days, I work with a lot of people who have housing issues. We have subsidized housing, and the standards are that up to two children of the same sex can share a room. I have one family of 6 who live in a 2-bedroom home with rats (some dead), mice, spiders, leaks and mold. They were turned down for subsidized housing simply because the 2 units that have four bedrooms are already taken. They will not house them in a 3 bedroom, even temporarily, because it's "against standards." Sure... leave them in a 2-bedroom place with the dead rats and mold... grr. I find this highly disturbing.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My brothers shared a room till I moved out then the youngest one got my room.

Top Bottom