Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Christian values are liberal. What system of theology and what teacher of morals and what example of unadulterated goodness gives more "something for nothing" than Jesus Christ? Take the time to consider what he says.
  • Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. 29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. 30 "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
  • Matthew 10:5-10 These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: "Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans; 6 but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 "And as you go, preach, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.' 8 "Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. Freely you received, freely give. 9 "Do not acquire gold, or silver, or copper for your money belts, 10 or a bag for your journey, or even two coats, or sandals, or a staff; for the worker is worthy of his support.
  • Matthew 7:7-11 "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 9 "Or what man is there among you who, when his son asks for a loaf, will give him a stone? 10 "Or if he asks for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he? 11 "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!
You're not required to earn your salvation. No demand is made prove yourself worthy before you can receive charity. The gospel is fundamentally liberal. It is a something of great value given for nothing kind of thing. No money changes hands, no work required, no qualifying income needed, nothing is asked but the generosity of soul and spirit that God shows to you in Jesus Christ.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Christian values are liberal. What system of theology and what teacher of morals and what example of unadulterated goodness gives more "something for nothing" than Jesus Christ? Take the time to consider what he says.
  • Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. 29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. 30 "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
  • Matthew 10:5-10 These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: "Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans; 6 but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 "And as you go, preach, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.' 8 "Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. Freely you received, freely give. 9 "Do not acquire gold, or silver, or copper for your money belts, 10 or a bag for your journey, or even two coats, or sandals, or a staff; for the worker is worthy of his support.
  • Matthew 7:7-11 "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 9 "Or what man is there among you who, when his son asks for a loaf, will give him a stone? 10 "Or if he asks for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he? 11 "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!
You're not required to earn your salvation. No demand is made prove yourself worthy before you can receive charity. The gospel is fundamentally liberal. It is a something of great value given for nothing kind of thing. No money changes hands, no work required, no qualifying income needed, nothing is asked but the generosity of soul and spirit that God shows to you in Jesus Christ.

Well, we are cautioned in the Gospel to "Count the Cost" of Discipleship in Christ...

We give up our life temporal...
So as to gain Life Eternal...

Hang onto this temporal life...
And you lose the Eternal Life...

But it is a smokin' Jewish deal!
Because everything this temporal life is, is nothing...
And the gaining of Life Eternal is Everything!

Arsenios

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Christian values themselves may be called liberal, but it is only conservatism that affirms the faith and its values as part of its own set of principles.

Ironic, huh?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Jesus is not any secular state. You are confusing government with God (as liberals are apt to do)

Last edited:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
This depends on whether you consider Jesus atoning sacrifice for the elect a "for nothing" event.
I consider the cost to be great and therefore one that makes me eternally grateful.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
We are asked to repent and confess and believe, that is the requirement.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
We are asked to repent and confess and believe, that is the requirement.
Yep, believe, confess and repent, that's the way of God's redemption.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

When the king of a kingdom says that his kingdom is "not of this world" it's rather ironic to compare it to, well, a worldly system of government.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
You are confusing government with God (as liberals are apt to do)

Not to mention with Mom and Dad, Doctor and Nurse, comfort animal, day care provider, grocery store...

I did hear a rumor a few years back one winter, that it got so cold in DC that the some Liberals actually were seen with their hands in their own pockets...

Probably just an urban legend...

Arsenios

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
When the king of a kingdom says that his kingdom is "not of this world" it's rather ironic to compare it to, well, a worldly system of government.

Yet Jesus does compare his kingdom to worldly rulers and how worldly people behave. [42] ...“You know that those who seem to be leaders among the Gentiles dominate them, and their leaders exercise authority over them. [43] But it is not to be this way among you. Instead, whoever would become greater shall be your minister; [44] and whoever will be first among you shall be the servant of all. [45] So, too, the Son of man has not come so that they would minister to him, but so that he would minister and would give his life as a redemption for many.” (Mark 10:42-45)

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yet Jesus does compare his kingdom to worldly rulers and how worldly people behave. [42] ...“You know that those who seem to be leaders among the Gentiles dominate them, and their leaders exercise authority over them. [43] But it is not to be this way among you. Instead....
That's a rather forceful renunciation of the idea that Christians are to be taking over the government or reforming it.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
That's a rather forceful renunciation of the idea that Christians are to be taking over the government or reforming it.

It is indeed a renunciation of the practise of lording it over others. It is not a renunciation of any economic or civil arrangement that eschews the practise of lording it over others.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yet Jesus does compare his kingdom to worldly rulers and how worldly people behave. [42] ...“You know that those who seem to be leaders among the Gentiles dominate them, and their leaders exercise authority over them. [43] But it is not to be this way among you. Instead, whoever would become greater shall be your minister; [44] and whoever will be first among you shall be the servant of all. [45] So, too, the Son of man has not come so that they would minister to him, but so that he would minister and would give his life as a redemption for many.” (Mark 10:42-45)

Comparison by virtue of freely doing something else isn't really a comparison of one system to another.

What is called "liberal" in the modern day is increasingly little more than trying to force people to live a certai way. One thing I really like about the Christian walk is that it doesn't force anybody to do anything. See a homeless person? Give him some money, feed him, clothe him, whatever you feel is appropriate. You do what you feel is right. You don't pester other people to do something, you don't campaign for the nasty rich people to be forced to do something, you do something yourself. Or not, it's up to you.

If you share, as the early church did, you do it voluntarily. As Peter said to Ananias and Sapphira, "was it not your own?". They owned it, it was theirs to do with as they please. They could have kept all or some of the sale price back. Sounds like capitalism to me, no?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Comparison by virtue of freely doing something else isn't really a comparison of one system to another.

What is called "liberal" in the modern day is increasingly little more than trying to force people to live a certai way. One thing I really like about the Christian walk is that it doesn't force anybody to do anything. See a homeless person? Give him some money, feed him, clothe him, whatever you feel is appropriate. You do what you feel is right. You don't pester other people to do something, you don't campaign for the nasty rich people to be forced to do something, you do something yourself. Or not, it's up to you.

If you share, as the early church did, you do it voluntarily. As Peter said to Ananias and Sapphira, "was it not your own?". They owned it, it was theirs to do with as they please. They could have kept all or some of the sale price back. Sounds like capitalism to me, no?

The way you've used "liberal" is too USA centric, most people on the planet are not in the USA and a great many of the world's people do not think of the English word "liberal" as a criticism or as a pejorative. But Christian teaching does tend towards community life where each member of the community works according to their ability and when in need is helped by the other members of the community. If this is achieved by purely voluntary goodness so much the better but if a tax or a levy is agreed by the community - such as is the case with road building and the like community projects - then that too is good. Liberalism in politics is not wicked. It is not something to be eschewed by Christians. The examples we have in holy scripture do point to liberality towards others where those with "much of this world's goods" share what they have with those "who have little".
Luke 6:33-36 33 And if you will do good to those who do good to you, what credit is due to you? Indeed, even sinners behave this way. 34 And if you will loan to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is due to you? For even sinners lend to sinners, in order to receive the same in return. 35 So truly, love your enemies. Do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return. And then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he himself is kind to the ungrateful and to the wicked. 36 Therefore, be merciful, just as your Father is also merciful.

1John 3:16-18 16 We know the love of God in this way: because he laid down his life for us. And so, we must lay down our lives for our brothers. 17 Whoever possesses the goods of this world, and sees his brother to be in need, and yet closes his heart to him: in what way does the love of God abide in him? 18 My little sons, let us not love in words only, but in works and in truth.​

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The way you've used "liberal" is too USA centric, most people on the planet are not in the USA and a great many of the world's people do not think of the English word "liberal" as a criticism or as a pejorative
You may have a valid point there. Lets agree to use Socialistic instead. That will be clearer to the people who live in less free nations..

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
"Liberals" in the USA are embarrassed to be called that. So they (with the constant, reliable cooperation of the Media) now like to be called "progressive." So we have two categories of Americans according to the US press: Progressives (always portrayed as educated and intelligent) and Conservatives (always portrayed as stupid, high school drop outs, gun toting, rude, hateful, racist, over weight, Bible quoting, rural idiots holding two dirty babies).

But "liberal" is so discredited that liberals don't want to be associated with liberals. Which is why my campaign for President frames all as "PROGRESSIVE" although obviously I'm just out-liberalizing the liberals to get their support.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Liberalism is SO discredited that "Liberals" in the USA are embarrassed to be called that. So they (with the constant, reliable cooperation of the Media) now like to be called "progressive." So we have two categories of Americans according to the US press: Progressives (always portrayed as educated and intelligent) and Conservatives (always portrayed as stupid, high school drop outs, gun toting, rude, hateful, racist, over weight, Bible quoting, rural idiots holding two dirty babies).

But "liberal" is so discredited that liberals don't want to be associated with liberals. Which is why my campaign for President frames all as "PROGRESSIVE" although obviously I'm just out-liberalizing the liberals to get their support.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes