Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
I personally think there is always room for improvement on any site, but not all members have to use it, I would use things on a site don't see any reason not to either, but not everyone wants a discussion about it either, surely we should just be grateful to the owners for being nice enough to think we might like new things... so thanks to Romanos and Genesis for a good job they are doing.

MS140ukn

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Do we have a Reputation thread to give the person above you reps?

ive seen this on other forums. it would defeat the purpose of receiving reps for your participation on here. plus it would be ripe for abuse. receiving positive reps is always nice. its a great motivational tool.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If threads like that pop up here, should they be closed?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
In my opinion, yes

Romanos

God is good.
Executive Administrator
Community Team
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Yes, they will be closed should any of them pop up since these threads end up ruining the rep system.

MS140ukn

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
reps are earned by being courteous, kind and being an all-around good egg
eggs-2-smiley-emoticon-emoji.png
that is what i try to show when iam on forums. i make more friends that way. instead of being a negative nelly

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, they will be closed should any of them pop up since these threads end up ruining the rep system.

That would be my thought too.

I took part in a few similar threads over on CF and looking back they were only less silly than the endless counting threads in that they took up a little time, rather than spending all day posting "1", "2", "3" etc.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do we have a Reputation thread to give the person above you reps?

PERSONALLY, I like the "like this post" feature here at CH better than the "rep" system at some other sites. It's positive, it's public, it's focused on the post rather than the poster.

Just my half cent....

Pax

- Josiah

George

Tis Theos Megas
Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
PERSONALLY, I like the "like this post" feature here at CH better than the "rep" system at some other sites. It's positive, it's public, it's focused on the post rather than the poster.

Just my half cent....

Pax

- Josiah

I know at a few forums that reps to other members can get pretty nasty when they're negative.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I know at a few forums that reps to other members can get pretty nasty when they're negative.

IF there is a "dislike" feature here, I'd suggest removing it. There should ONLY be a feature to say "I like this." This affirms the POINT (rather than the poster), and is public (not secretive as some rep programs are).

I've never heard of a "negative" reputation feature.... the sites I've been to only have it for positive.

On a similar note, what - pray tell - is this "points" and "level" and "Lv Percent?" here at CH? And why are they? :huh:

George

Tis Theos Megas
Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
IF there is a "dislike" feature here, I'd suggest removing it. There should ONLY be a feature to say "I like this." This affirms the POINT (rather than the poster), and is public (not secretive as some rep programs are).

I've never heard of a "negative" reputation feature.... the sites I've been to only have it for positive.

On a similar note, what - pray tell - is this "points" and "level" and "Lv Percent?" here at CH? And why are they? :huh:

Thankfully there is no dislike feature on here. And many sites do allow for negative reputation, most of them require a reason as to why you are leaving negative rep.

As far as I can tell on my profile and the Activity tab, it looks to be part of the Activity mod they have on here. Bill's Award he has seems to be part of it as well. Mainly it works to simply reward activity and to allow awards and other cool stuff. :p

MS140ukn

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
iam glad CH doesnt have a dislike feature. ive been having problems with that on other forums..makes one feel dissalusioned to be disliked

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Single
weird after logged in and had to come here..but i have no interest in buying anything from the shop...yet. i just want to be active within a normal forum enviroment without too much confusing things going on.

Glad I'm not the only one...I was thoroughly confused. I thought I'd done something wrong but couldn't figure out what it was. :)

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I used to be an admin on a board that let you leave negative reputation. It was very rarely used, and when it was used it usually seemed to involve a spat between users. On one occasion user A gave user B a negative reputation, user B retaliated, and then complained to the moderators that they didn't like seeing the negative reputation on their user control panel and expected it to be removed. Had they just reported the issue the chances are we would have removed it but because they retaliated and then immediately complained we let it stand. I don't think user B realised we could see the exact date and time of all the relevant actions.

One system I saw worked that if your reputation power was 10 any time you gave positive reputation the user got +10 and any time you gave negative reputation they got -5.

In theory negative reputation can be useful but in practise it does seem to do little more than highlight issues between users rather than do anything useful. As a rule if I disagree with a post I figure it's more useful to post and explain why, than to give the author of the post a red spot on their profile.

MS140ukn

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
recently i dismissed myself off of a forum after getting so much un nessesary negative reps..it just kills the whole forum going experience.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't even use the reputation system on my site...we use a post thanking system, where you can either thank a post or not...you cannot dislike posts. Even so we get "cliques" of people who only thank each other's posts and it is so silly to see how they skip over perfectly helpful posts to only thank those of their buddies. If I didn't have users with thousands of thanks, I wouldn't even use that system. We do display a ratio of thanks per post so that students can get an idea how useful the math expert helping them has been perceived to be.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't even use the reputation system on my site...we use a post thanking system, where you can either thank a post or not...you cannot dislike posts. Even so we get "cliques" of people who only thank each other's posts and it is so silly to see how they skip over perfectly helpful posts to only thank those of their buddies. If I didn't have users with thousands of thanks, I wouldn't even use that system. We do display a ratio of thanks per post so that students can get an idea how useful the math expert helping them has been perceived to be.

... or at least how many back-slapping clubs they joined to give each other thanks for everything they write.

(you can thank me later :) )

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Thankfully there is no dislike feature on here. And many sites do allow for negative reputation, most of them require a reason as to why you are leaving negative rep.

As far as I can tell on my profile and the Activity tab, it looks to be part of the Activity mod they have on here. Bill's Award he has seems to be part of it as well. Mainly it works to simply reward activity and to allow awards and other cool stuff. :p

There is a dislike feature that is the negative REPS and they post RUDE comments. That NEEDS to be removed ASAP.

Top Bottom