• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 15

    Denomination & Faith Movement Discussions - Thread: Helping families

    1. #1
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      3,254
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      6,466
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      16,324
      Level
      36
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      61.46%
      Rep Power
      448

      Helping families

      From what I have seen as a counselor, many families are going through a lot of pain and problems, separation, marital infidelity and problems with children. It seems the church is strangely silent in this area and not helping as much as they could. What could the church do differently to help families stay together and be healthy?

    2. #2
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      52
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      18,428
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      209,571
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (253,633 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      213,775
      Level
      95
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      3.05%
      Rep Power
      921
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      From what I have seen as a counselor, many families are going through a lot of pain and problems, separation, marital infidelity and problems with children. It seems the church is strangely silent in this area and not helping as much as they could. What could the church do differently to help families stay together and be healthy?
      Family bible studies
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    3. Likes Krissy Cakes liked this post
    4. #3
      Krissy Cakes's Avatar
      Krissy Cakes is online now Expert Member
      28
      Married
      Mood:
      Geeky
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Idaho
      Posts
      2,847
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      18,690
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      9,265
      Level
      28
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      87.4%
      Rep Power
      198
      The church can do counseling.



      Hidden Content

      █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂▂
      ▂▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █​

    5. #4
      MennoSota's Avatar
      MennoSota is online now Bronze Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      5,772
      CH Cash
      24,169
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      20,750
      Level
      40
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      40.45%
      Rep Power
      492
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      From what I have seen as a counselor, many families are going through a lot of pain and problems, separation, marital infidelity and problems with children. It seems the church is strangely silent in this area and not helping as much as they could. What could the church do differently to help families stay together and be healthy?
      Teach them about the Sovereignty of God in both the good and bad events in life.
      Teach them that they are corrupt by nature and thus they will battle for supremacy if they do not humble themselves under the authority of God and his commands regarding how to treat one another (Read the sermon on the mount and make it real.).
      Start following the commands of God in Galatians 6 regarding supporting one another and confessing to one another. Accountability is important.
      Stop, stop stop trying to make people feel good and improve their self esteem with pop psychology. God should make you miserable in your sin. Every part of your being should feel horrible when you are in sin. God will discipline you for your benefit. Stop running away from his discipline.
      God has called the church to care for two groups.
      1) Widows
      2) Orphans
      We, the church, do a horrible job with those two responsibilities.

    6. #5
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      3,254
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      6,466
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      16,324
      Level
      36
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      61.46%
      Rep Power
      448
      Quote Originally Posted by Krissy Cakes View Post
      The church can do counseling.
      A small percentage of churches do, but most don't and most pastors aren't trained in counseling.

    7. #6
      psalms 91's Avatar
      psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Moderator
      Supporting Member
      70
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Pa
      Posts
      13,665
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      7,377
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,000,399 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      61,568
      Level
      61
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      80.62%
      Rep Power
      637
      Avariety of community outreach depending on need
      Isaiah 40:31

    8. #7
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      3,254
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      6,466
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      16,324
      Level
      36
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      61.46%
      Rep Power
      448
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      Teach them about the Sovereignty of God in both the good and bad events in life.
      Teach them that they are corrupt by nature and thus they will battle for supremacy if they do not humble themselves under the authority of God and his commands regarding how to treat one another (Read the sermon on the mount and make it real.).
      Start following the commands of God in Galatians 6 regarding supporting one another and confessing to one another. Accountability is important.
      Stop, stop stop trying to make people feel good and improve their self esteem with pop psychology. God should make you miserable in your sin. Every part of your being should feel horrible when you are in sin. God will discipline you for your benefit. Stop running away from his discipline.
      God has called the church to care for two groups.
      1) Widows
      2) Orphans
      We, the church, do a horrible job with those two responsibilities.
      Oh, okay, so your saying that God hasn't called the church to help families stay together? That isn't what my Bible says

    9. #8
      MennoSota's Avatar
      MennoSota is online now Bronze Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      5,772
      CH Cash
      24,169
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      20,750
      Level
      40
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      40.45%
      Rep Power
      492
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      Oh, okay, so your saying that God hasn't called the church to help families stay together? That isn't what my Bible says
      Please quote where I say what you claim. I am not sure how you ever made the mental leap so please share how you did it. I enjoy a good magic trick.

    10. #9
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      3,254
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      6,466
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      16,324
      Level
      36
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      61.46%
      Rep Power
      448
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      Please quote where I say what you claim. I am not sure how you ever made the mental leap so please share how you did it. I enjoy a good magic trick.
      Absolutely. You stated that the only two groups we are called to help are orphans and widows. Since families are a group and you didn't include them then that was the conclusion I came to. No magic involved at all.

    11. #10
      MennoSota's Avatar
      MennoSota is online now Bronze Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      5,772
      CH Cash
      24,169
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      20,750
      Level
      40
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      40.45%
      Rep Power
      492
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      Absolutely. You stated that the only two groups we are called to help are orphans and widows. Since families are a group and you didn't include them then that was the conclusion I came to. No magic involved at all.
      Caring for orphans and widows is caring for the family. There is clear teaching.
      https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.got...nd-widows.html
      Nowhere do I say "do not help anyone except widows and orphans."

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •