Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
From what I have seen as a counselor, many families are going through a lot of pain and problems, separation, marital infidelity and problems with children. It seems the church is strangely silent in this area and not helping as much as they could. What could the church do differently to help families stay together and be healthy?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
From what I have seen as a counselor, many families are going through a lot of pain and problems, separation, marital infidelity and problems with children. It seems the church is strangely silent in this area and not helping as much as they could. What could the church do differently to help families stay together and be healthy?

Family bible studies :)

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The church can do counseling.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

Teach them about the Sovereignty of God in both the good and bad events in life.
Teach them that they are corrupt by nature and thus they will battle for supremacy if they do not humble themselves under the authority of God and his commands regarding how to treat one another (Read the sermon on the mount and make it real.).
Start following the commands of God in Galatians 6 regarding supporting one another and confessing to one another. Accountability is important.
Stop, stop stop trying to make people feel good and improve their self esteem with pop psychology. God should make you miserable in your sin. Every part of your being should feel horrible when you are in sin. God will discipline you for your benefit. Stop running away from his discipline.
God has called the church to care for two groups.
1) Widows
2) Orphans
We, the church, do a horrible job with those two responsibilities.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Avariety of community outreach depending on need

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Teach them about the Sovereignty of God in both the good and bad events in life.
Teach them that they are corrupt by nature and thus they will battle for supremacy if they do not humble themselves under the authority of God and his commands regarding how to treat one another (Read the sermon on the mount and make it real.).
Start following the commands of God in Galatians 6 regarding supporting one another and confessing to one another. Accountability is important.
Stop, stop stop trying to make people feel good and improve their self esteem with pop psychology. God should make you miserable in your sin. Every part of your being should feel horrible when you are in sin. God will discipline you for your benefit. Stop running away from his discipline.
God has called the church to care for two groups.
1) Widows
2) Orphans
We, the church, do a horrible job with those two responsibilities.

Oh, okay, so your saying that God hasn't called the church to help families stay together? That isn't what my Bible says

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Oh, okay, so your saying that God hasn't called the church to help families stay together? That isn't what my Bible says
Please quote where I say what you claim. I am not sure how you ever made the mental leap so please share how you did it. I enjoy a good magic trick. [emoji41]

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Please quote where I say what you claim. I am not sure how you ever made the mental leap so please share how you did it. I enjoy a good magic trick. [emoji41]

Absolutely. You stated that the only two groups we are called to help are orphans and widows. Since families are a group and you didn't include them then that was the conclusion I came to. No magic involved at all.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I know this thread isn't about widows and orphans but it got me looking through scripture concerning it. I never paid much attention to the widow part before but in 1 Timothy there are guidelines as to what to do and not do to help the widow:

1 Timothy 5:4-11 But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God. 5 The widow who is really in need and left all alone puts her hope in God and continues night and day to pray and to ask God for help. 6 But the widow who lives for pleasure is dead even while she lives. 7 Give the people these instructions, so that no one may be open to blame. 8 Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

9 No widow may be put on the list of widows unless she is over sixty, has been faithful to her husband, 10 and is well known for her good deeds, such as bringing up children, showing hospitality, washing the feet of the Lord’s people, helping those in trouble and devoting herself to all kinds of good deeds.

11 As for younger widows, do not put them on such a list. For when their sensual desires overcome their dedication to Christ, they want to marry.

So it seems that although we should care for the widows God wants families to help themselves first which seems appropriate.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I know this thread isn't about widows and orphans but it got me looking through scripture concerning it. I never paid much attention to the widow part before but in 1 Timothy there are guidelines as to what to do and not do to help the widow:

1 Timothy 5:4-11 But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God. 5 The widow who is really in need and left all alone puts her hope in God and continues night and day to pray and to ask God for help. 6 But the widow who lives for pleasure is dead even while she lives. 7 Give the people these instructions, so that no one may be open to blame. 8 Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

9 No widow may be put on the list of widows unless she is over sixty, has been faithful to her husband, 10 and is well known for her good deeds, such as bringing up children, showing hospitality, washing the feet of the Lord’s people, helping those in trouble and devoting herself to all kinds of good deeds.

11 As for younger widows, do not put them on such a list. For when their sensual desires overcome their dedication to Christ, they want to marry.

So it seems that although we should care for the widows God wants families to help themselves first which seems appropriate.

I think verse 8 especially shows you just how serious it is when someone doesn't take care of those in their own household.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

Correct. The family is first up. If that family is not Christian and the Godly widow has no assistance, the church needs to step up. But, we don't often do that as a whole. (I am sure there are some isolated churches doing a good job.)

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Jesus said families would be separated on account of him and I can kinda see this happening in the families where you got the ones who are turning away from God a little and their sin consumes the family and tears it to pieces. Isn't the cure to have more Jesus and more Gospel then?

Top Bottom