The ever changing concept of "Self-Made"

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Kylie Jenner just made the cover of 'Forbes' magazine as one of the richest "self-made" female Billionaires. Kylie. Jenner. Self-made, or do you suppose she had some help due to upbringing early on? Her mother gets a tidy 10% of her children's income. Do you suppose that mom might have had a bit of influence/connections given that fact for Kylie to become "self-made"? I'm not trying to disparage the fact she has a successful business, but to suggest a Jenner/Kardashian is a "self-made" anything is just a stretch.

Kylie Jenner Covers Forbes As The Next Youngest Self-Made Billionaire

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Kylie Jenner just made the cover of 'Forbes' magazine as one of the richest "self-made" female Billionaires. Kylie. Jenner. Self-made, or do you suppose she had some help due to upbringing early on? Her mother gets a tidy 10% of her children's income. Do you suppose that mom might have had a bit of influence/connections given that fact for Kylie to become "self-made"? I'm not trying to disparage the fact she has a successful business, but to suggest a Jenner/Kardashian is a "self-made" anything is just a stretch.

Kylie Jenner Covers Forbes As The Next Youngest Self-Made Billionaire

I forget where I read the article about why young billionaires are so boring. The gist of it was comparing the likes of Warren Buffett to the likes of Mark Zuckerberg. The old-time billionaires often started life with a lot of hardship - parents eating ramen noodles because it was what they could afford, doing whatever work they could find to pay the bills etc. Then the current generation of billionaires made inordinate amounts of money by their mid 20s but didn't exactly start from nothing. As it said, to drop out of Harvard, no matter how lucrative the cause, requires that you first be at Harvard. Most people can't afford to go to Harvard.

It reminds me of the tale of the man describing how he got rich starting from nothing. As he said "I bought an apple from a market trader that wasn't very attractive so it was only 1c. Then I polished it so it looked nice and sold it for 2c. The next day I bought two apples for 2c, polished them so they looked nice and sold them for 4c. The third day I did the same with four apples so I had 8c. At the end of the fourth day I had 16c, at the end of the fifth day I had 32c, and at the end of the sixth day I had 64c. I took Sunday off. Then my wife's uncle died and left us five million dollars."

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
She has an entire team of people who know how to promote and market someone so they can reap financial gains. That's not "self-made".

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Just hope that she learns how to spend her money in such a way she gives back a little to people in need.
Otherwise, I really don't care if she is "self-made" or not. It isn't really important to me

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Just hope that she learns how to spend her money in such a way she gives back a little to people in need.
Otherwise, I really don't care if she is "self-made" or not. It isn't really important to me

Well they all like the tax deductible charitable donations, don't they? :ponder:

Top Bottom