Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Now that the Thai boys have been rescued from the cave the news is carrying on about how they're mental well being will be affected. Yes, it's true that they'll be frightened of some things because of their experience but what bothers me is that the news never seemed to care about the mental well being of people who have experienced natural disasters. Fires, floods, earthquakes and losing everything they own.

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
My own opinion is that media has not been interested in others because the assumption is most of others who faced natural disaster are mostly adults, while this is a group of young boys who were separated from their attachment figures for a long time, while they were going through the trauma, some were close to death and they may also have survivor's guilt because a hero lost his life to save theirs.

I don't think the media put it into the same words, but there was all the public outcry of the border separations, too, and the reason media was so outraged is that these children are being traumatized and this will have a lasting impression on them as well.

The trend in counselling is what we call "trauma-informed practice." People are finally starting to recognize the devastating long-term effect of trauma on mental well-being, and it seems the public trend is to end the trauma! So the public, media, and other human rights groups are bringing this issue into public and political awareness more and more. Trauma can change every cell in the body, it can lead to self-medication with addictions, it can (will, in the case of the boys) leave permanent cellular markers of the trauma, and that will be carried on genetically in their own children.... it's a huge issue.

But in the case of the boys, I think it's because it was a whole team of young boys who were separated from their attachment figures for an extended time - and could not be immediately reunited with them after rescue. After a tornado or flood, most people reunite with their attachment figures very, very soon, if not immediately, to seek comfort.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There are children who lose entire families, belongings, pets, etc...in fires and yet no one speaks of their mental health. There are children being used for sex by adults and the media isn't speaking of their mental health either.

I've also noticed that the news media will use the same feed along with wording...turn the channel it's the same wording. Turn the page it's the same wording. So maybe that is playing a part in what I'm seeing with these boys and not the other traumatic instances...the media sources aren't thinking for themselves but quickly using what's in front of them.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The media is not really interested in informing or creating change in the culture anymore. It is all tabloid sensationalism for ratings. That is all that drives them. That and their political views such as CNN's desire to get rid of Trump. I don't know if you ever noticed they bash him every single day. Even though I don't really like the man, I think they are being unfair.

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I totally agree, Lamb. There are a lot of children out there who go through traumatic experiences, both natural disaster/event, or maltreatment. People don't want to see those stories though because it exposes social issues that no one wants to see, acknowledge, or deal with. This story is about a group of young boys on a sports team, who are likely middle class, and live "normal, clean lives." It's a tear-jerker that does not ask people to see the horrors - there is a "happy" ending, and they will receive early mental health intervention. There are no happy endings for stories on children trapped in the sex industry or who are abused, or who lose everything (unless there is a gofundme page to raise more money than they originally wanted).

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think if a new type of news were to arise on the scene that was more objective in what they reported without all the adjectives to sway the readers one way or another in their political or religious thinking would be a welcome sight!

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Now that the Thai boys have been rescued from the cave the news is carrying on about how they're mental well being will be affected. Yes, it's true that they'll be frightened of some things because of their experience but what bothers me is that the news never seemed to care about the mental well being of people who have experienced natural disasters. Fires, floods, earthquakes and losing everything they own.
Well, not to be contrary but I don't know if the media does not care. I saw a lot of coverage of floods, hurricanes, fires--they may care imho.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, not to be contrary but I don't know if the media does not care. I saw a lot of coverage of floods, hurricanes, fires--they may care imho.

There are some reporters who do care. Their bosses want good ratings!

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What does one have to do with the other?

What do you mean? The bosses control what is being viewed and what is viewed is what will give good ratings. If the feed comes through it is approved by the bosses for the reporters to state.

Top Bottom