• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

World Religion & Speculative Theology - Thread: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in.

MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      5.26%

I was a stranger, and ye took me not in.

While having lunch in a local bakery "pie shop" I struck up a conversation with two elderly ladies sitting at the table next to mine. They'd been chatting about women wearing Burkas. Now, it is worth noticing that very few women wear a Burka in Australia, I've seen only one in all the years I have lived here. But the ladies were complaining about "foreigners" wearing such things. Oddly enough one of the two ladies was born in England and had a discernible English accent so I silently wondered "foreigners? isn't that what one of you is?". Anyway, in the conversation we had the ladies continued with their theme, one saying that "They ought to go home, them Muslims". I replied that a good number of them were born in Australia so "home" was right here. With some effort and careful choice of words the conversation was steered towards the gospel and we chatted a little about God and Jesus Christ and church life. That improved the conversation and the ladies were visibly happier on the new topic. The ladies self-identified as Christians, though they do not go to church.

In retrospect I wondered to myself if a great many people in their age group shared their fears and dislikes. And I got to wondering how the Lord Jesus Christ, his mother Blessed Mary, and his father saint Joseph would have been perceived by the ladies. They'd be Arab looking people, a "foreign family". I was a stranger, and ye took me not in.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (142,925 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      75.82%
      What did Jesus look like?
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      5.26%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      What did Jesus look like?
      Like a Semite. Why do you ask?
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

4. Likes RichWh1 liked this post
      psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (2,862,635 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      93.33%
      Only God can answer that but going by where He was born and to who and allowing that the Jewish were Gods people we can guess at certain things
      Isaiah 40:31

DHoffmann is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      Amused

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      46.62%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      While having lunch in a local bakery "pie shop" I struck up a conversation with two elderly ladies sitting at the table next to mine. They'd been chatting about women wearing Burkas. Now, it is worth noticing that very few women wear a Burka in Australia, I've seen only one in all the years I have lived here. But the ladies were complaining about "foreigners" wearing such things. Oddly enough one of the two ladies was born in England and had a discernible English accent so I silently wondered "foreigners? isn't that what one of you is?". Anyway, in the conversation we had the ladies continued with their theme, one saying that "They ought to go home, them Muslims". I replied that a good number of them were born in Australia so "home" was right here. With some effort and careful choice of words the conversation was steered towards the gospel and we chatted a little about God and Jesus Christ and church life. That improved the conversation and the ladies were visibly happier on the new topic. The ladies self-identified as Christians, though they do not go to church.

In retrospect I wondered to myself if a great many people in their age group shared their fears and dislikes. And I got to wondering how the Lord Jesus Christ, his mother Blessed Mary, and his father saint Joseph would have been perceived by the ladies. They'd be Arab looking people, a "foreign family". I was a stranger, and ye took me not in.
      Much respect for you MC. It's silly that mankind are such territorial animals in general, racism is a disease of pride and judgment. We don't see each other as brothers and sisters outside of our culture but we should at least greet one another as neighbors and to LOVE your neighbor.
      Jesus could have been any color and what does that matter? Does it change his message? I hope not.

7. Likes popsthebuilder, RichWh1 liked this post

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      5.26%
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      Much respect for you MC. It's silly that mankind are such territorial animals in general, racism is a disease of pride and judgment. We don't see each other as brothers and sisters outside of our culture but we should at least greet one another as neighbors and to LOVE your neighbor.
      Jesus could have been any color and what does that matter? Does it change his message? I hope not.
      I knew a chap who was a Calvinist and then started to consider Catholicism and finally decided that his "tribe" was the religion of his teen years - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I suspect that tribe really does count for a lot with people. But most people may be reluctant to admit it.
      Last edited by MoreCoffee; 07-16-2018 at 03:50 AM.

Albion is offline Veteran Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      7.13%
      In retrospect I wondered to myself if a great many people in their age group shared their fears and dislikes. And I got to wondering how the Lord Jesus Christ, his mother Blessed Mary, and his father saint Joseph would have been perceived by the ladies. They'd be Arab looking people....
      None of them was an Arab.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      5.26%
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
      None of them was an Arab.
      Israelites and Arabs are Semites. Not hard to figure out since the bible spells it out for people. And Israelites looked a lot like Arab people. No biggie is it? It is not as if saying that Israelites looked like Arabs makes them into Muslims or something. Right? It is merely a matter of appearances.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      5.26%
      White people are not the only ones who have altered Jesus' appearance to fit their own. Chinese people did it too and Africans too.

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (142,925 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      75.82%
      White people are not the only ones who have altered Jesus' appearance to fit their own. Chinese people did it too and Africans too.
      Being an artist I will tell you that artists tend to draw other people in their own image and that's not always done purposely. Unless the artist is of great magnitude in his skills you will always find parts of his own face when he draws portraits of other people.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus