CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      34.29%

I did not come to abolish but to fulfill

I would like to hear your comments about what you think Jesus meant when he said in Matthew 5:17-19 This is the passage the pastor I heard this morning used in his message.

17 “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Any comments?

2. Likes DHoffmann liked this post
      MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      9.69%
      I think you have to look at the entire sermon on the mount as a whole in order to try understand the parts.
      Jesus starts with the beatitudes, explaining who is blessed. He then makes the comment about the law, which is quoted by the OP, but Jesus goes on to speak specifically about the impossibility of keeping the law.
      It seems to me that Jesus is pointing out to the listeners and us readers that God's moral law still judges us and that law finds us guilty. Without the law there would be no means of measurement to state that someone has sinned. The law gives us that measuring tool. But, the law brings condemnation. It points out our failure. It does not help us achieve righteousness. Only Jesus can make us righteous by his atoning work.

4. Likes RichWh1 liked this post
      RichWh1 is offline Apprentice Member
      Single
      Mood:
      Geeky

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      60.26%

I did not come to abolish but to fulfill

Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      I would like to hear your comments about what you think Jesus meant when he said in Matthew 5:17-19 This is the passage the pastor I heard this morning used in his message.

17 “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Any comments?
      Sounds to me that Jesus is stating that the reason He came was to fulfill the Law and Prophets and that He was the fulfillment of them. Jesus said He came not to abolish, meaning the Law still exists.

Rather He came to fulfill not abolish the Law and Prophets and in saying this He is saying there is no other fulfillment He is that fulfillment!

If we sin it’s a transgression of the Law and if we try to keep the Law and transgress It once we become transgressors of the entire Law
      We cannot keep the Law and we don’t need to since Jesus fulfilled the Law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "Therefore, having been justified by faith, [a]we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ Romans 5:1

DHoffmann is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      Amused

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      45.17%
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      I think you have to look at the entire sermon on the mount as a whole in order to try understand the parts.
      Jesus starts with the beatitudes, explaining who is blessed. He then makes the comment about the law, which is quoted by the OP, but Jesus goes on to speak specifically about the impossibility of keeping the law.
      It seems to me that Jesus is pointing out to the listeners and us readers that God's moral law still judges us and that law finds us guilty. Without the law there would be no means of measurement to state that someone has sinned. The law gives us that measuring tool. But, the law brings condemnation. It points out our failure. It does not help us achieve righteousness. Only Jesus can make us righteous by his atoning work.
      I started to write but I hesitated because I didn't want to be the first for some reason lol
      I LOVE the sermon on the mount, Jesus explains the laws so beautifully and with logic and reason, the first time I read it I was blown away thinking "why didnt anyone ever read this to me before?"...
      The commandments were always taught as something as a punishment, something to be obeyed without virtue or question, something dare I say it? Grievous!
      Before I read it I just knew the Ten Commandments as a list of Tho shalt nots... with no explanation, now with a clear understanding of them I realize the importance and message of the Cross.
      My former weakness was stealing, when revelation hit me I was lifted from that, thats the Holy Spirit working in me, it has raised me up far better and more efficient than the legal system could ever do

psalms 91 is online now Silver Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (2,834,221 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      86.9%

Any comments?
      Jesus fulfilled the Law but it is still there. If Christ is in us and we are led by the spirit then for those who this describes is not under the Law but a higher spiritual Law and for those who are still in the world Christians included then they are still under the Law. This is a big part of what I meant when I said that many have received Jesus and in Him but maybe not Him in them.
      Isaiah 40:31

Arsenios is online now Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      46%

Any comments?
      Christ Who was born under the Law
      Himself fulfilled every jot and tittle of the Law
      which He caused to be written...

THAT is why we are Baptized INTO Christ
      Who fulfilled the Law...

And it is why we are Baptized into His Death on the Cross...
      Because by baptism into death we are released from the Law...
      The dead are no longer under the Law, you see...

And against Love there IS NO Law...

Not even among the Godless...

Arsenios
      Last edited by Arsenios; 07-09-2018 at 11:04 AM.

9. Likes RichWh1, ImaginaryDay2 liked this post