Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
What "silly thing" (your words) are you accusing me of doing?

My post replies to the topic and the suggestion that Rahab was sinning by doing what was needed to save the spies. It is silly to suggest that Rahab's lie to the men who wanted to kill the spies was a sin. It was instrumental in saving them. And Rahab is commended by God for saving them. There's no 'accusation' in stating the case for Rahab's innocence in the matter nor is there any is observing the accusing Rahab of sinning by telling a lie to save the spies is silly.

Consider this passage, it too deals with telling lies:
19 Micaiah replied, “Listen again to this word of the LORD. I saw Yahweh sitting on his throne with the entire host of heaven standing beside him on his right and on his left. 20 Then the LORD asked: ‘Who will entice Ahab that he may go and fall at Ramoth-gilead?’ One said one thing and another, another thing. 21 Then a spirit came forward and stood before the LORD, saying: ‘I will deceive him.’ 22 The LORD then asked him, ‘What will you do?’ To this, he replied: ‘I will go and make myself a lying spirit on the lips of all his prophets.’ Then the LORD said, ‘You shall succeed. Go, and do just that.’ 23 You must know that the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours because he willed to bring evil on you.”​
(1KIngs 22:19-23)

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My post replies to the topic and the suggestion that Rahab was sinning by doing what was needed to save the spies. It is silly to suggest that Rahab's lie to the men who wanted to kill the spies was a sin. It was instrumental in saving them. And Rahab is commended by God for saving them. There's no 'accusation' in stating the case for Rahab's innocence in the matter nor is there any is observing the accusing Rahab of sinning by telling a lie to save the spies is silly.

Consider this passage, it too deals with telling lies:
19 Micaiah replied, “Listen again to this word of the LORD. I saw Yahweh sitting on his throne with the entire host of heaven standing beside him on his right and on his left. 20 Then the LORD asked: ‘Who will entice Ahab that he may go and fall at Ramoth-gilead?’ One said one thing and another, another thing. 21 Then a spirit came forward and stood before the LORD, saying: ‘I will deceive him.’ 22 The LORD then asked him, ‘What will you do?’ To this, he replied: ‘I will go and make myself a lying spirit on the lips of all his prophets.’ Then the LORD said, ‘You shall succeed. Go, and do just that.’ 23 You must know that the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours because he willed to bring evil on you.”​

So you believe that bearing false witness was not a sin?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
So you believe that bearing false witness was not a sin?

I believe what God said about Rahab's action; namely, that is is good. The question is about Rahab's action and not about some theological principle. God commends Rahab for her action and her action included telling the murderous men a lie. Let's not try to make the story of Rabah and the spies into an occasion for creating bad theology about Rahab and telling lies. And remember that story I mentioned? this one: 19 Micaiah replied, “Listen again to this word of the LORD. I saw Yahweh sitting on his throne with the entire host of heaven standing beside him on his right and on his left. 20 Then the LORD asked: ‘Who will entice Ahab that he may go and fall at Ramoth-gilead?’ One said one thing and another, another thing. 21 Then a spirit came forward and stood before the LORD, saying: ‘I will deceive him.’ 22 The LORD then asked him, ‘What will you do?’ To this, he replied: ‘I will go and make myself a lying spirit on the lips of all his prophets.’ Then the LORD said, ‘You shall succeed. Go, and do just that.’ 23 You must know that the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours because he willed to bring evil on you.”

Top Bottom