Basilica Block Party

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
The Archdiocese in Minneapolis is beginning their weekend block party to raise money for upkeep of the Basilica.
It is 72 hours of debauchery, drunkenness, sexual promiscuity, both hetero and homosexual sex around the Basilica. Pagans revel in this binge of human decadence.
Someone please explain how the Roman Church makes the end justify the means.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Wiki says that the Basilica only serves the space for the event...they aren't the ones running it. They do have a cardboard printout of the pope that people can take a pic with :D

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Wiki says that the Basilica only serves the space for the event...they aren't the ones running it. They do have a cardboard printout of the pope that people can take a pic with :D
The Basilica takes in all the money raised and supports the party.
It should be noted that Minneapolis/St Paul is a haven of liberal thinking. Many churches have no problem with individual sin while denouncing all behavior that they think is unjust.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The Archdiocese in Minneapolis is beginning their weekend block party to raise money for upkeep of the Basilica.
It is 72 hours of debauchery, drunkenness, sexual promiscuity, both hetero and homosexual sex around the Basilica. Pagans revel in this binge of human decadence.
Someone please explain how the Roman Church makes the end justify the means.

The web page is at https://www.basilicablockparty.org/

I don't see any mention of the wickedness you mentioned. Maybe you're mistaken?

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
The web page is at https://www.basilicablockparty.org/

I don't see any mention of the wickedness you mentioned. Maybe you're mistaken?
Come on over to Minneapolis and spend a few hours in Loring Park and find out. You can spend time calling an ambulance to get the folks who have become so intoxicated they can no longer function. All for the Basilica...

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Come on over to Minneapolis and spend a few hours in Loring Park and find out. You can spend time calling an ambulance to get the folks who have become so intoxicated they can no longer function. All for the Basilica...

Are you implying that the local priest or local bishop ought to go over there and forbid the consumption of alcohol? Do you think he has that kind of influence? He is not running the event is he, but you think he is responsible for what the organisers do?

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Are you implying that the local priest or local bishop ought to go over there and forbid the consumption of alcohol? Do you think he has that kind of influence? He is not running the event is he, but you think he is responsible for what the organisers do?
I'm asking the question: Does the end justify the means? Should the church sponsor a drinking festival to pay for the upkeep of its building?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I'm asking the question: Does the end justify the means? Should the church sponsor a drinking festival to pay for the upkeep of its building?

But the web page does not say that the bishop, priest, or diocese sponsors "it". The web page indicates that the money raised at the event is intended for the upkeep of the Basilica - a building - but not for the benefit of the church (the people of God). It seems you may have confused a church building with the church of the living God.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
But the web page does not say that the bishop, priest, or diocese sponsors "it". The web page indicates that the money raised at the event is intended for the upkeep of the Basilica - a building - but not for the benefit of the church (the people of God). It seems you may have confused a church building with the church of the living God.

Who owns the Basilica, MC? Does the church express its displeasure in the behavior taking place as they take the money? Would you have any concerns if the local drug dealers in your neighborhood supplied funds for your church building fund while they kept feeding your kids drugs?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Who owns the Basilica, MC? Does the church express its displeasure in the behavior taking place as they take the money? Would you have any concerns if the local drug dealers in your neighborhood supplied funds for your church building fund while they kept feeding your kids drugs?

MennoSota, how about you writing a letter to the bishop or the parish priest and put forward your concerns and see what answer is given, then you will know who owns what and who runs what, and what kinds of things happen. Then there will be no more guessing because you'll have the information directly from the people that you are most concerned about in this matter.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
MennoSota, how about you writing a letter to the bishop or the parish priest and put forward your concerns and see what answer is given, then you will know who owns what and who runs what, and what kinds of things happen. Then there will be no more guessing because you'll have the information directly from the people that you are most concerned about in this matter.
I love it when you try to change the subject. It's a sure sign your collar is getting tight.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I love it when you try to change the subject. It's a sure sign your collar is getting tight.

If you want to know why not write to the people that you want to know about?

Last edited:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
If you want to know why not wrote to the people that you want to know about?
I want to know what you and others think. You know that, but are avoiding the elephant in the room.
In another thread you pointed at protestant churches being driven by money. Here's an example of the Roman church doing the same thing and you work to avoid it.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Reminds me of a story of how St. Peter's was funded. Not completely on the up-and-up. But then again, it is just a building and not the Church.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Oh, I love this...

Website said:
A CHANCE TO DO GOD’S WORK: VOLUNTEER.
The Cities 97 Basilica Block Party needs your help in tending to God’s celebrating flock. Feed their hunger. Quench their thirst. Shepherd them on their journeys. Not only will you be a part of the celebration, you can also count on some credit in heaven.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I want to know what you and others think. You know that, but are avoiding the elephant in the room.
In another thread you pointed at protestant churches being driven by money. Here's an example of the Roman church doing the same thing and you work to avoid it.

I think it doesn't matter one way or the other because it is a fund raising event run by people who are not directly working for or under the direct supervision of people who do work for the Catholic Church. Even if it was run by the local bishop's staff directly I don't see what is so dreadful about having beer available. But if it bothers you - for whatever reason - then don't go.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I think it doesn't matter one way or the other because it is a fund raising event run by people who are not directly working for or under the direct supervision of people who do work for the Catholic Church. Even if it was run by the local bishop's staff directly I don't see what is so dreadful about having beer available. But if it bothers you - for whatever reason - then don't go.
So you would welcome drug dealer contributions from the drugs they sell to your kids? Look the other way at where the funding is coming from. Got it.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
So you would welcome drug dealer contributions from the drugs they sell to your kids? Look the other way at where the funding is coming from. Got it.
Last time I checked I believe it says that God can turn evil to good. Secondly how do you know where the money coming into your church was earned? I am sure that not all of it is clean

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Last time I checked I believe it says that God can turn evil to good. Secondly how do you know where the money coming into your church was earned? I am sure that not all of it is clean
If you knew...would you say no?

Top Bottom