TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
They needed front-end loaders to scoop up the drunks. [emoji41]

Bwahahaha sounds to me like the church made a wad of cash, eh!

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
How was the party? hehe
Menno believes music and alcohol breeds homosexual witch orgies but I looked it up and it appeared to be good clean fun, although 'drunkards' are considered sinners I can't approve especially when it involves driving, with a ticket however they offer free bus transport to and from the event :)
I imagine if Catholics can drink in church in moderation its a no harm to fowl situation. "Strong drink" was never prohibited in the OT nor the NT but for John the baptist.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
alcohol never was a sin just drunkenness. As for John the Baptist he was under a Nazerite vow and therefore could not drink

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Menno believes music and alcohol breeds homosexual witch orgies but I looked it up and it appeared to be good clean fun, although 'drunkards' are considered sinners I can't approve especially when it involves driving, with a ticket however they offer free bus transport to and from the event :)
I imagine if Catholics can drink in church in moderation its a no harm to fowl situation. "Strong drink" was never prohibited in the OT nor the NT but for John the baptist.
The issue isn't drinking. The issue is the church using paganism to raise money for their wants.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The issue isn't drinking. The issue is the church using paganism to raise money for their wants.
how is it pagan tho?
Oh nevermind, you consider the RCC as pagan if that's your point... well alright.
As for scriptural I see it along the lines of eat drink and be merry.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
how is it pagan tho?
Oh nevermind, you consider the RCC as pagan if that's your point... well alright.
As for scriptural I see it along the lines of eat drink and be merry.
I look at it more along the lines as eating meat offered to idols.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe that mostly Christians attended?
Who receives the money?
Very few Christians attend unless you count the rainbow churches who preach a social gospel as Christian.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
From the photos I've searched out online I see people standing around watching bands.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Who receives the money?
Some historic building? We both know that The Church is made up of individuals and not a building.
Therefore let God alone be the judge of the peoples. There is no proof of people who attended -practising witch craft or homosexuality or orgies for that matter.
Catholicism is what it is and you will never get to the root, consider that a fact. Now imagine the people as people you never met but know you may not judge them.
Do I believe the Pope is Gods spokesperson? nope, but does the Pope claim to be a prophet? Who knows and who cares, they are nothing compared to Mohammed or Joseph Smith... hardcore "prophets". Love and let it go.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Some historic building? We both know that The Church is made up of individuals and not a building.
Therefore let God alone be the judge of the peoples. There is no proof of people who attended -practising witch craft or homosexuality or orgies for that matter.
Catholicism is what it is and you will never get to the root, consider that a fact. Now imagine the people as people you never met but know you may not judge them.
Do I believe the Pope is Gods spokesperson? nope, but does the Pope claim to be a prophet? Who knows and who cares, they are nothing compared to Mohammed or Joseph Smith... hardcore "prophets". Love and let it go.
Did God tell the people of Israel to raise money for the temple by supporting paganism?

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I doubt every person who attended the festival was a pagan.

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
==============================================================================================

Post #25 (MoreCoffee):
Remember Jesus warning: 37 Don’t be a judge of others and you will not be judged; do not condemn and you will not be condemned; forgive and you will be forgiven; 38 give and it will be given to you, and you will receive in your sack good measure, pressed down, full and running over. For the measure you give will be the measure you receive back.

Just saying.

This is a frequently used cop-out within the halls of Christendom. It was reiterated in Post #35. Whenever a personally important issue or organisation is subjected to unwanted but valid light, the throwing of this card (which has the deceptive appearance of being a trump card) is on the cards. In fact it is a hallmark within the halls of Christendom.

The normal effectiveness of the “judge not lest ye be judged” card, is based on the deliberate confusing of two entirely different meanings of the word “judge”.

Apart from its judicial sense, the word “judge” has two very distinct meanings:
- to look down on someone or something judgmentally;
- to clinically discern the rights and wrongs of a particular situation or practice.

It is the former that Jesus was speaking against.

It is the latter that has been applied to the practice of promoting activities that can lead to drunkenness (etc.) in order to bolster funds of a religious nature.

==============================================================================================

So now another dishonest tactic (the “judge not lest ye be judged” deflection) has been unveiled for the Reader’s future awareness.

And as usual, the use of the technique emphasises the truth of what it is being used to defend against.

Lämmchen had it right in Post #34.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Post #25 (MoreCoffee):

This is a frequently used cop-out within the halls of Christendom. It was reiterated in Post #35. Whenever a personally important issue or organisation is subjected to unwanted but valid light, the throwing of this card (which has the deceptive appearance of being a trump card) is on the cards. In fact it is a hallmark within the halls of Christendom.

The normal effectiveness of the “judge not lest ye be judged” card, is based on the deliberate confusing of two entirely different meanings of the word “judge”.

Apart from its judicial sense, the word “judge” has two very distinct meanings:
- to look down on someone or something judgmentally;
- to clinically discern the rights and wrongs of a particular situation or practice.

It is the former that Jesus was speaking against.

It is the latter that has been applied to the practice of promoting activities that can lead to drunkenness (etc.) in order to bolster funds of a religious nature.

So now another dishonest tactic (the “judge not lest ye be judged” deflection) has been unveiled for the Reader’s future awareness.

And as usual, the use of the technique emphasises the truth of what it is being used to defend against.

Lämmchen had it right in Post #34.

I've just come upon this thread and begun reading from the top. While I do not agree with all the accusations, some of the alibis are classic. Lets see--the church has nothing to do with the event because it merely makes the space it controls available to the organizers of the event. (?!). It profits from the event, but it has no connection to the event (?!). Perhaps the most fascinating of all is the Wikipedia article that was referred to in one post. According to that article, the church HOSTS the event but has NO INVOLVEMENT other than that it runs one booth where you can have pictures taken with a paper cutout of the Pope. (??!!)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I read some more articles about this event. As MC stated, the event is mainly for the preservation of the building. But that's the building the Catholic congregation uses for its worship so in a way the event is for them. They apparently don't give enough money in their weekly offerings to maintain their church building so they have created this event to take care of that for them. A small amount is given for one of the programs that helps people but I don't recall what percentage that is.

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

After all the hullabaloo and whatnot, I can’t help but wonder, did it turn out to be a good turnout?

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

After all the hullabaloo and whatnot, I can’t help but wonder, did it turn out to be a good turnout?

The Pope started speaking in tongues after doing a keg stand ;)

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Post #43:
"Strong drink" was never prohibited in the OT nor the NT but for John the baptist.

Allow me to quietly set the record straight.

Alcohol was definitely forbidden in one particular situation. As was any contact with grapes or grape products.

Numbers 6:1-9:
1 And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying,
2 Speak to the sons of Israel, and say to them, When a man or woman shall separate in order to vow a vow of a Nazarite, in order to separate to the LORD,
3 he shall separate from wine and strong drink and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink; neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes or dried.
4 All the days of his Nazariteship he shall eat nothing that is made of the grapevine, from grape seeds even to a stem.
5 All the days of his vow to separate, no razor shall come upon his head. Until all the days are fulfilled in which he separates to the LORD, he shall be holy. He shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.
6 All the days that he separates to the LORD, he shall not come near any dead body.
7 He shall not make himself unclean for his father, or for his mother, or for his brother, or for his sister, when they die, because his separation to his God is upon his head.
8 All the days of his separation he is holy to the LORD.

If someone thinks: “That sounds like Samson,” they are correct. Samson’s strength was not in his hair, as is sometimes stated by people who don’t know the Holy Bible as they should. His strength was from the Spirit of Yahweh and pertained to his being a Nazarite. (See Judges 13:1-25.) He lost that strength when the last of the three conditions of his being a Nazarite was negated (his hair was cut).

Indications are that John the Baptist was a himself a Nazarite. Many scholars believe so. It would fit in with God’s selection of him for a specific purpose (like Samson). The lack of certainty regarding John, focuses attention onto Jesus, the One whom it was his job to introduce.

Top Bottom