Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I bought a Dutch Oven from a church rummage sale (I can't remember what my donation was but it was cheap...like under $5?) many years ago and finally found some time to season it! It had been sitting out in our garage ever since we moved here 4 years ago. I thought it was rusted inside but when I looked it wasn't too bad actually. Maybe it liked the garage?

Seasoning made the house all smoky and my smoke alarms went off 5 times within the 50 minutes I could tolerate it being in the oven.

But it was worth it in the end! The thing is perfectly non-stick!! It's just super heavy.

Here is what it looks like:
Ceaun-olandez-pentru-g-tit-7l-din-fonta_6582351_1454483834.jpg

Do you have a love for cast iron skillets, pots or pans? I have 3 other smaller items and I wish they were lighter in weight! LOL

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I bought a Dutch Oven from a church rummage sale (I can't remember what my donation was but it was cheap...like under $5?) many years ago and finally found some time to season it! It had been sitting out in our garage ever since we moved here 4 years ago. I thought it was rusted inside but when I looked it wasn't too bad actually. Maybe it liked the garage?

Seasoning made the house all smoky and my smoke alarms went off 5 times within the 50 minutes I could tolerate it being in the oven.

But it was worth it in the end! The thing is perfectly non-stick!! It's just super heavy.

Here is what it looks like:
Ceaun-olandez-pentru-g-tit-7l-din-fonta_6582351_1454483834.jpg

Do you have a love for cast iron skillets, pots or pans? I have 3 other smaller items and I wish they were lighter in weight! LOL
Yes I have one with a tripod for cooking over open fires and also a couple cast iron skillets

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Oh no. I got rid of all of the household cast iron cooking apparatus during my first marriage. I categorized it as preventative tactical safety maneuvers or PTSM. :eek:uch:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes I have one with a tripod for cooking over open fires and also a couple cast iron skillets

That must be a really strong tripod since these things weigh a ton!

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Somewhere I have a cast iron waffle iron and a cast iron clothes iron. I guess they were from back in the days before electricity. No idea what they are worth, they came from a deceased family member's house.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I cook with cast iron every week for coffee hour...
The dutch oven does the rice, and the big heavy skillet does the chicken...
Start with the chicken at 400+F
Put in the rice 15 minutes later...
Both are ready 45 minutes after the rice is put in...

Medium grain white rice makes sticky rice - 3/4 rice for 4/4 water - Toss in some salt - Serve with a rice spud... And brewed soy sauce, or tamari...

Chicken thighs take a dab of butter on each one and a generous sprinkling of paprika and some Johnny's...

The pan drippings make easy and tastey gravy... 3-4 tbsps flour whisked into cold water and stir into boiling juices stirring with the whisk till boiling and it's done - Add salt to taste...

Cast iron cooking is the best - The rice can end up rusty against the sides - Eat it! Cullinary iron! Tastes great!

Look for cast iron cook books...

These pots, the good ones, are heirlooms...

They will last for many generations...

Arsenios

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Every time I go to thrift shops, I look for cast iron. I love cast iron skillets, but it has to be the heavy old style pans, not the thin pans they have now.

I used to like the old style Hibachi as well, but will have to settle for the newer style, with thinner iron.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Cast Iron was a favorite on Boy Scout trips. They did an awesome job of frying up that day's catch, or for a weekend chili. I remember us using those tri-pods, too :)

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Cast Iron was a favorite on Boy Scout trips. They did an awesome job of frying up that day's catch, or for a weekend chili. I remember us using those tri-pods, too :)

The tri-legs will slip through the oven racks converting your oven into a high-tech coals-fire...

Cast iron cookware is good to have on hand...

De-rigeurre for rustic cabins with wood and coal fired stoves...

Arsenios

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I cook with cast iron every week for coffee hour...
The dutch oven does the rice, and the big heavy skillet does the chicken...
Start with the chicken at 400+F
Put in the rice 15 minutes later...
Both are ready 45 minutes after the rice is put in...

Medium grain white rice makes sticky rice - 3/4 rice for 4/4 water - Toss in some salt - Serve with a rice spud... And brewed soy sauce, or tamari...

Chicken thighs take a dab of butter on each one and a generous sprinkling of paprika and some Johnny's...

The pan drippings make easy and tastey gravy... 3-4 tbsps flour whisked into cold water and stir into boiling juices stirring with the whisk till boiling and it's done - Add salt to taste...

Cast iron cooking is the best - The rice can end up rusty against the sides - Eat it! Cullinary iron! Tastes great!

Look for cast iron cook books...

These pots, the good ones, are heirlooms...

They will last for many generations...

Arsenios

What's Johnny's?

I didn't think about getting a cook book for cast iron but that's a great idea. I make awesome fajitas in my regular cast iron skillet and there is a recipe with a potato, egg, cilantro, salt and cheese that a friend showed me how to make that tastes really good too. You start off on the stove top and then end up in the oven for a few minutes to brown and finish cooking the potatoes.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Every time I go to thrift shops, I look for cast iron. I love cast iron skillets, but it has to be the heavy old style pans, not the thin pans they have now.

I used to like the old style Hibachi as well, but will have to settle for the newer style, with thinner iron.

I have noticed that the ones in the stores are thinner. Do they cook about the same do you know?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have a cast iron pie maker for camping but we only used it on our woodburning stove at the old house. It was hard to clean so I didn't like using it.

Top Bottom