When was Satan created and does it effect the length of days in Genesis 1

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Sorry, I have no use for numerology. I read the Bible for meaning and over the decades I have found that meaning to be far less literal than most Christians are prepared to understand. That's OK, it is a slow process and one that some never come to.
[MENTION=274]JRT[/MENTION] - Permission for a split-off thread from this? It seems like a good discussion point. Thanks :)

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
[MENTION=274]JRT[/MENTION] - Permission for a split-off thread from this? It seems like a good discussion point. Thanks :)

No problem. Go right ahead.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
From what I've looked up there is some debate as to whether "heavens" in the Hebrew referred to all of creation, or merely the heavenly bodies. It could have both - it's broad enough to have included angels, but not definitive.
3 Heavens:
1rst Sky
2nd Universe
3rd Gods throne

These three are if I may, the trinity of Heaven as is, since they are all refered to as "the heavens/the heaven" or "Heaven"
note: Earth is separate from them, and soon enough "Heaven" will also be made new along with the Earth for the old Heaven and Earth will soon pass.
The Word however remains unchanged

This thread has potential, it could be split multiple times into new discussions.
So let me say this, Revelation speaks of tribulation saints. These are they whom after the rapture are saved directly by the Word alone - the gospel without a church (after the church age).
Which justifies the everlasting Word as the old world ends and the new begins (a thousand years) and the final judgment issues a new heaven and new world with the Word...

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
:/
There are revelations of the Spirit tho... The Bible speaks to us and even asks us to listen to what the Spirit is saying, anyone can easily exploit the bible based on the literal sense but there is a special reason why Revelation for example is considered a blessing to the church... just saying that the reader can indeed find credible and deeper revelations as a patient saint other than one assuming a quick approach.
When the plain sense makes common sense, seek no other sense.
The Bible, in most places, is pretty straightforward. Creating smoke where there is none is a deception, not a word from God.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
When the plain sense makes common sense, seek no other sense.
The Bible, in most places, is pretty straightforward. Creating smoke where there is none is a deception, not a word from God.
can you decide where that smoke goes and who judges?

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
can you decide where that smoke goes and who judges?
Does God give the gift of discernment? When an interpretation reduces the glory of God, we can very clearly judge that it is from hell.
Does the Bible say that the devil (Satan) tempted Jesus in the wilderness? Is that true or a made up, non-literal event? These things aren't hard. God didn't go out of His way to complicate what He shared.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
God didn't create Satan, man did. Satan (ha'shaitan) occurs by name in the Old Testament in the Book of Job, and here it's clear that the angel Satan is not the Devil! The Devil is supposedly banished from the presence of God, yet in Job, Satan is allowed to talk with and to come and go from God's presence and on a mission for God yet! What's going on? Satan here is not "the Devil" but sort of God's prosecuting attorney. There is a very common perception that the 'Lucifer' in Isaiah 14:12ff refers to Satan, the supernatural personification of evil. This misconception comes from two sources. The first is wishful thinking in the sense that it is nice to think that 'the Enemy' will get his come-uppance eventually. The second has to do with the old caution that scripture is to be read only 'in context'. This requires going back and reading all of Isaiah 13 and the earlier verses in Isaiah 14. When this is done we suddenly realize that scripture is not speaking of a supernatural Satan at all but of a Babylonian king with an immense ego. Read Isaiah 14: " 4 you will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon:" What follows is a long rant against this oppressive king filled with numerous reference to his human nature like Isaiah 14: "16 Those who see you stare at you, they ponder your fate: Is this the man who shook the earth and made kingdoms tremble, 17 the man who made the world a desert, who overthrew its cities and would not let his captives go home?" This passage is in no way a reference to Satan or the devil. The Jews did not originally believe in devils but they picked up this concept during the Babylonian Exile from the Persians who followed Zoroastrianism. The Zoroastrians believed in both a god of good (Ahura-Mazda) and a god of evil (Ahrulman) engaged in a cosmic struggle. The Jews picked up and ran with this idea. It was easy to cast YHWH in the role of the God of good. They took also the angel ha'shaitan (Satan) in the book of Job and recast that character as Satan the near divine force of evil. Up to that time, their concept of God was of a being responsible for everything, both good and evil. Isaiah 45:”7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.” is just one quote that demonstrates this. The Jews never connected Satan to the serpent in the Garden of Eden. It was the second-century Christian martyr, Justin of Samaria, who was first to argue that Satan appeared as a serpent to tempt Adam and Eve to disobey God. Our present conception of Satan was completed in the lurid medieval imagination by people like the Italian poet Dante. It took well over a thousand years for mankind to invent Satan.
This is from a Catholic sermon but it speaks well in the word.
https://youtu.be/-7FFAMuJw4s

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
==============================================================================================

I would suggest that the creation of Satan and the day lengths in Genesis 1 are unrelated.

Elsewhere it has been pointed out that if the Hebrew word “yom” is translated “time period” (a totally valid translation) instead of (a 24-hour) “day”, then the first chapter of Genesis and the modern sciences are in absolute agreement.

So let’s look at Satan and the gap theory.

==============================================================================================

The Bible tells us that the Messiah in His prehuman form created the angelic and physical realms. (John 1:2-3, Colossians 1:15-17)

If the understanding is correct, that Ezekiel 28:12-15 and Isaiah 14:12-14 act as windows into the spiritual realm, then we see that there was a supreme angel (Lucifer) who became corrupted by pride and ambition.

One of the privileges bestowed upon Lucifer was his assignment to be with the peak of the self-replicating creation – the creatures with whom God would establish and had established a personal relationship. The assignment was within what is called the Garden of Eden.

So we know that it was there and then that Lucifer became Satan.

And we thus know that the “gap theory” (in one of its promoted forms, at least) is wrong.

I hope that helps.

Top Bottom